[Funny] Things I used to believe...

Dave

Staff member
Well, since Hephaestus isn't real, I have a feeling he's telling us he - *ahem* she - has no penis.

Until I was in my mid-twenties, I believed that most women don't really like sex, and almost all women think that nude men are ugly. I really thought that most women wanted nothing to do with a man's penis, and that they just had sex because it was expected of them, in order to get the parts of marriage that they did want.
This was a popular belief up to the early 1900s! It was why many women got away with lesbian relationships, actually. It was thought women had no sexual desire so living with a female friend was seen as being innocent because women didn't get aroused or orgasm like men did and, even if they could, it was believed that the penis was needed for sex.

It wasn't unheard of for even women who thought themselves straight to have sexual experiences with other women because their men thought they were broken or depraved if they liked it.

Still, you must have been hanging out with some cute and innocent chicks, Pez! All we ever talked about from high school on was sex in my group!

figmentPez

Staff member
Still, you must have been hanging out with some cute and innocent chicks, Pez! All we ever talked about from high school on was sex in my group!
Well, I got sick starting at 15, so this limited my contact with people for a lot of my life. During high school most of my social interaction was done at church youth group, not exactly a setting where young women feel free to openly discuss their interest in sex. Add to that my goody-two-shoes reputation, and there were a lot of things I didn't hear about directly from people.

I used to believe that you used conditioner before shampoo I'm 32 and only learned that was wrong like 6 months ago
Im going to leave this right here:

Dave, you don't know the story?

From what i can remember, Computergate came on and confessed that he'd recently discovered that he had been using shampoo wrong. for TWENTY FIVE YEARS. he'd been rubbing it into dry hair, then washing it off. he only just discovered how to use it properly.

the full text is presumably lost, since it got wiped in 'the great movening' along with the rest of the IRC thread.

As for myself, I believed, until I was 22, that people from the Netherlands were called Hollish, since the Netherlands is often interchangeably called Holland. But, of course it's Dutch, derived MUCH MORE LOGICALLY from Netherlands.

Whatever.

Hollish. I stand by it.
Hey, don't look at us, we just use Nederlands to refer to people from Nederland.. Thank your English ancestors for this confusion.

For me though, the reverse is also true: up until somewhere in my late teens, I used to think that the coastal areas (California, New York and Florida to be precise) and the rest (I just referred to it as the midlands) were about the same size, and that everyone from the midlands was a redneck in some form or another. The stereotyping in movies and shows had a pretty big hand in it..

Zappit

Staff member
When I was like, five or so, my parents would occasionally point out the transformers on telephone poles to show me what a real transformer looked like. I'd look and never realize what they were actually trying to point out.

I was looking for Optimus.

When I was like, five or so, my parents would occasionally point out the transformers on telephone poles to show me what a real transformer looked like. I'd look and never realize what they were actually trying to point out.

I was looking for Optimus.
I suddenly have an urge to climb up a telephone pole and stick a big autobot faction sticker on a canister of mineral oil.
I'm not gonna act on it, but it would make a good reddit pic.

--Patrick

I suddenly have an urge to climb up a telephone pole and stick a big autobot faction sticker on a canister of mineral oil.
I'm not gonna act on it, but it would make a good reddit pic.

--Patrick
Yeah, we don't need another terrorism scare because "weird symbols" were showing up all over town.

There was a stretch of time when I thought hover boards were real. Well we're just a couple months away from that future and they still don't exist.

I also doubt the Cubs are gonna win next year.

That most of the pictures shown are actually of the back of the White House and not the front. Mind blown that the rotunda is the back!

The Oval office is on the ground floor in the West Wing too. I thought it was in the back of the rotunda on the second floor![DOUBLEPOST=1412558625,1412558370][/DOUBLEPOST]When I was little, I thought that keeping your jacket unzipped on a breezy day would keep you warmer than keeping it zipped up.

I had a weird illogical reason why I thought this, but I was 10 years old and watched too much TMNT.

I used to believe that:
- chewing gum would not digest and block the system.
- crossing my eyes would make them stay that way permanently
- breaking a mirror brought bad luck -- luck in general

GasBandit

Staff member
When I was 5, I believed:

1) There was a certain telephone pole outside (but still in view of) the playground at my kindergarten that, when stared at intently, would let me communicate telepathically with my grandparents. I have NO idea what gave me this idea.

2) That "Putting on the Ritz" was about the crackers. To this day, I wonder why Nabisco hasn't licensed it and done an ad campaign with the song. It's a no-brainer!

You'd think so. I'm almost sure they did but I can't find any evidence of it.

I used to believe in the whole Nice Guy / Friend Zone / Ladders bullshit - basically, young male entitlement beliefs. Thankfully, I've grown out of that nonsense.

I used to believe that every place in the world developed the same. That america had castles like europe in the middle age and sometimes between the middle age and today people in europe lived in wild west towns. It confused me why people went from stone to wood buildings and the enviroment were so different. I assumed that some kind of cataclysm happend. Than I went to school and learned the history of the world.

I used to believe that every place in the world developed the same. That america had castles like europe in the middle age and sometimes between the middle age and today people in europe lived in wild west towns. It confused me why people went from stone to wood buildings and the enviroment were so different. I assumed that some kind of cataclysm happend. Than I went to school and learned the history of the world.
You must've played a lot of Civ/AoE when you were younger, yes?

--Patrick

Cajungal

Staff member
I thought grandparents were just random old people that you were assigned when I was 4-5. So when I swore I'd never have children and my parents asked me if I ever wanted to be a grandma like MiMi, I said, "sure but I can just pick out some other kids to be my grandchildren."

When I found out it didn't work that way I drew up plans for an orphanage next door to an assisted living home so no one would have to be lonely.

I thought grandparents were just random old people that you were assigned when I was 4-5. So when I swore I'd never have children and my parents asked me if I ever wanted to be a grandma like MiMi, I said, "sure but I can just pick out some other kids to be my grandchildren."

When I found out it didn't work that way I drew up plans for an orphanage next door to an assisted living home so no one would have to be lonely.
That's adorable.

If we were a collectivist culture, we wouldn't need either :(