Export thread

This is the future? Bah

Alucard

This is the future? Bah where are the flying cars, where is the renewable energy, moon coloies, space exploration, floating cities, everything.

This is 2009 and we're coming up on 2010 this is the future? Bah this is stupid and pathetic.

We'd rather be stuck in the same rut then explore the uttermost of human potential.

North_Ranger

North_Ranger

We've got more processing powers in our cellphones than we had at NASA during the moon landing.

We've got instant connection all over the globe. Information, entertainment, personal contact.

We've got ovens where we can warm food in minutes.

And so on and so on...

So quit your bitching, mate ;)

Allen who is Quiet

Allen, who is Quiet

actually, this is the present

Hylian

Hylian

yeah this is only the pasts future

Calleja

Calleja

you wrote that in the past

Hylian

Hylian

and you wrote that in my future and in my past

Mr. Lawface

I wrote this in my present.

Hylian

Hylian

and it is now in your past

Allen who is Quiet

Allen, who is Quiet

when will then be now?

filmfanatic

filmfanatic

Now is simultaneously the past, present and future. It just depends on how you perceive it.

North_Ranger

North_Ranger

We will never get to the future. Once we reach it, it turns into the present... and then it's the past.

All we have is the present.

Calleja

Calleja

So time is subjective. Wow, we should publish that.

Allen who is Quiet

Allen, who is Quiet

am I moving through time or am I staying in one era and time is moving through me?

North_Ranger

North_Ranger

You can never tell what era you are living, because an era's name is always a moniker given by historians and scholars about their past. "The Dark Ages" or the "Middle Age", for instance, were given by Renaissance scholars who wanted to distinguish their supposedly enlightened selves from the "barbaric" and "superstitious" times that followed the ancient times they emulated.

My propositions for our current age:
"The Brainless Age"
"The 'Oh my God, oh my God, we're so fuckin' screwed!' Age"
"The InterTubes Age"

Allen who is Quiet

Allen, who is Quiet

You can never tell what era you are living, because an era's name is always a moniker given by historians and scholars about their past. "The Dark Ages" or the "Middle Age", for instance, were given by Renaissance scholars who wanted to distinguish their supposedly enlightened selves from the "barbaric" and "superstitious" times that followed the ancient times they emulated.

"The Brainless Age"
"The InterTubes Age"
sorry, your post went in one era and out the other

filmfanatic

filmfanatic

Come on, now! We don't have time for puns like that!

Allen who is Quiet

Allen, who is Quiet

maybe not in the past, but we have time for it now

Calleja

Calleja

.... I love you.

You just gave me like 2 years of extra life with the raucous laughter that caused. Thank you, sir.

Andi

Drachenherz

fade

fade

So time is subjective. Wow, we should publish that.
Yes, if only we were Jewish physicists with crazy hair and this was 1905...

Simfers

Simfers

It's 1905 in some crazy calendar somewhere in the world.

Chazwozel

This is the future? Bah where are the flying cars, where is the renewable energy, moon coloies, space exploration, floating cities, everything.

This is 2009 and we're coming up on 2010 this is the future? Bah this is stupid and pathetic.

We'd rather be stuck in the same rut then explore the uttermost of human potential.
The general public is too retarded to drive ground vehicles without causing fatal accidents.

Renewable energy has to follow the laws of thermodynamics.

Moon colonies are a waste of money and resources.

Space exploration is limited by the laws of thermodynamics.

Floating cities are limited by the laws of thermodynamics.

Live it up mang, 30 years ago a cell phone required a briefcase, there was no internet, a computer had less processing power than a cheap 10 dollar grocery store calculator today, there were no ipods, microwaves were still considered dangerous, cars weren't nearly as powerful and efficent as they are today. Space exploration was limited to testing the space shuttle systems.

Moral of the story is that technology tends to lean towards that which is more practical for modern living rather than what sounds cool.

You wanna fly? By a 2009 Honda CRB and crank that bitch out to 150 mph. If you're too scared to do that, don't bitch to me about not having a flying car ;-)

Twitch

What are you talking about? I have a jetpack...

Shegokigo

Shegokigo

Real photo of Twitch before zombification:

Twitch

I guess they weren't joking, she really does know where we all live. What I do on my weekends is personal thank you very much, and needn't be posted about.

Alucard

But not meeeeeeee mua ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha

fade

fade

The general public is too retarded to drive ground vehicles without causing fatal accidents.

Renewable energy has to follow the laws of thermodynamics.

Moon colonies are a waste of money and resources.

Space exploration is limited by the laws of thermodynamics.

Floating cities are limited by the laws of thermodynamics.

Live it up mang, 30 years ago a cell phone required a briefcase, there was no internet, a computer had less processing power than a cheap 10 dollar grocery store calculator today, there were no ipods, microwaves were still considered dangerous, cars weren't nearly as powerful and efficent as they are today. Space exploration was limited to testing the space shuttle systems.

Moral of the story is that technology tends to lean towards that which is more practical for modern living rather than what sounds cool.

You wanna fly? By a 2009 Honda CRB and crank that bitch out to 150 mph. If you're too scared to do that, don't bitch to me about not having a flying car ;-)[/QUOTE]

There are tons of people who still firmly believe this. I have a friend---very granola---who refuses to own one. She will not listen when I try to explain resonance and water, and how much microwave radiation your food is exposed to in simple sunlight.

Alucard

I dunno I don't mind the current techonology we have and are developing but I still think it would be cool if manned exploration of the solar system were mainstream looking for valuable and exotic minerals.

ThatGrinningIdiot!

ThatGrinningIdiot!

I dunno I don't mind the current techonology we have and are developing but I still think it would be cool if manned exploration of the solar system were mainstream looking for valuable and exotic minerals.
You don't mind the current level of technology?! Alright then, try to go about your daily life without using the phone, internet, showers, oven, microwave, or any form of technology. That "I don't mind this level of technology" will to change to "HALLELUJAH!, praise mankind's inventiveness in all it's forms" pretty fucking quick.

ZenMonkey

ZenMonkey

Less science fiction, and more Scientific American.

AshburnerX

AshburnerX

"The Brainless Age"
"The InterTubes Age"
Actually, we've already been christened "The Information Age".

North_Ranger

North_Ranger

"The Brainless Age"
"The InterTubes Age"
Actually, we've already been christened "The Information Age".[/QUOTE]

Really? Huh. I was once under the impression that some people have started using "The Postmodern Age" when talking about post-WWII.

SpecialKO

SpecialKO

"The Brainless Age"
"The InterTubes Age"
Actually, we've already been christened "The Information Age".[/QUOTE]

Really? Huh. I was once under the impression that some people have started using "The Postmodern Age" when talking about post-WWII.[/QUOTE]

I submit for consideration "the Power-leveling Age" because we're leveling up so fast, we're not taking the time to learn how to use our new abilities.

AshburnerX

AshburnerX

Postmodern goes up until the proliferation of the Internet. Anything past that (lets say... mid-to-late 1990's) is considered the Information Age.

Chippy

Chippy

Heh.

Occasional Poster

And there goes another couple of hours of my life to that site! :rofl:

SpecialKO

SpecialKO

It occurs to me that we must be in the future, because we're like an inch away from "Darmok and Jalad at Tanagra" at this point.

Rob King

Rob King

Regarding the age ... however we define things today is quite likely to change in the next decades/centuries. We talk about the modern age, post-modern age, information age, etc ... but in one hundred years, scholarship might agree that they are all subsequent phases in the same arc, and call it all ... I dunno ... the post-renaissance age, or something.

Bubble181

Bubble181

Of course. It's a very clear and obvious thing - just look at any historical time line. We start out with these eras 5000 years long, and as they get closer by, they get progressively shorter and shorter. It's odd, in a way - historians ought to be aware of the phallacy inherent: just because we perceive greater differences doesn't mean they're there. Sure, technologically and culturally, we've been going faster and faster, but still. For my €0.02, this is still the same era as at least the industrial revolution; probably even earlier. We'll see what historians say in a couple of hundred years.

Also: assholes and your TVTropeslinking -_-

*edit* I'm STILL THERE 2 HOURS LATER. DAMN YOU.

Shegokigo

Shegokigo

I'm just not getting the "draw" of TVtropes, am I doing it wrong? I'm on there for 20seconds before I get bored and close the site.

AshburnerX

AshburnerX

Are you the kind of person who can pick up a psychology or sociology book and look at how it applies to the people you know?

Bubble181

Bubble181

Phew, finally out. Damn that place.

Shegokigo

Shegokigo

Go to sleep Bubble, it's 5:30am.

Bubble181

Bubble181

:confused: It's 12:30 PM here. I admit, I'm sleep deprived (insomnia hurray) and I should go and do a nap so I can go to work later today, but...you're watching the wrong guy if you think you're spying on me at 5:30 am :-P

Chazwozel

I'm just not getting the "draw" of TVtropes, am I doing it wrong? I'm on there for 20seconds before I get bored and close the site.
Take some Ritalin and go back.

Chibibar

I have work with computers for a long time (since 88) and I have notice a huge change from working/gaming back in 88 till today.

Sure we don't have the "science fiction" of flying car or AI, but we are getting there. You can even see the special effects from 1980s movies vs 2009 movies.

I personally believe many of us can't quite live without the technology we have today. I know I personally can't. there are so much technology from the car I drive (Scion which has like what? 3-4 computer in it?) the PC I type this thread with, the microwave I nuke my food, the electricity for my house, the TV I watch etc etc.

Thread Necromancer

Thread Necromancer

I personally believe many of us can't quite live without the technology we have today. I know I personally can't. there are so much technology from the car I drive (Scion which has like what? 3-4 computer in it?) the PC I type this thread with, the microwave I nuke my food, the electricity for my house, the TV I watch etc etc.
Horse and buggy, typewritter, fire, fire again, a hut, campfire stories passing legends down from one generation to the next.

Mind you, I prefer the technology too, I'm just saying. Survival is possible.

Chibibar

Horse and buggy, typewritter, fire, fire again, a hut, campfire stories passing legends down from one generation to the next.

Mind you, I prefer the technology too, I'm just saying. Survival is possible.[/QUOTE]

Yes it is possible, but you can't live in your own home, you have to live on the land, raise a farm and well....... disconnect yourself from the world (like those Amish country)

Are you willing to do that?
I don't

Kitty Sinatra

I have work with computers for a long time (since 88) and I have notice a huge change from working/gaming back in 88 till today.

Sure we don't have the "science fiction" of flying car or AI, but we are getting there. You can even see the special effects from 1980s movies vs 2009 movies.

Daring to cross threads here, but this is actually one of the "messages" in the Day of The Triffids, the book I suggested to Crone, and that was written in the 50s.

Of course it'd be hard to live without our technology; we developed it specifically so that we can depend upon it.

sixpackshaker

sixpackshaker

Shakespeare is considered a part of the Modern Age.

These terms get thrown about too much. What many of you consider the Modern Age is the Industrial Age, which started about 150 years ago. Post Industrial was roughly the 20th century. The Information Age began with Eniac or even some of the tabulating machines that IBM produced before WWII.

Chibibar

Daring to cross threads here, but this is actually one of the "messages" in the Day of The Triffids, the book I suggested to Crone, and that was written in the 50s.

Of course it'd be hard to live without our technology; we developed it specifically so that we can depend upon it.[/QUOTE]

sometimes I wonder if we can ever live without it.

The main problem for me is money. In order for me to get money (to do anything really) is that I need a job. Most job relate to technology.

I don't have the skills or the time to learn none technology skill stuff (i.e. I could learn farming skill, blacksmith or something) of course I would need money to buy land and pay taxes and such.

I am not sure if we could do anything like that on a whim in short of moving into a community (like amish) but I don' follow their religious belief so that is not going to work either is it?

JCM

Pretty much this.

I grew up with the middle ages of the internet, from a Tandy pc with a shitty usenet program to netscape to today's net, and while we dont have flying cars, we're watching videos and playing games on our iPhone that were impossible less than a decade ago.

Advancement is huge, to the point where processor speed jumps and console bits are irrelevant and no longer known by most nerds, so I'll take an iphone, microwave, blu-ray player and washing machine any day over a flying car.