[Movies] Thor: The Dark World

I hope it's more enjoyable than the first one. Thor was....very paint by numbers.

Digging deep into the batshit looney Marvel Thor's crazy nutso bastardized Norse mythology is definitely a good place to start.

I liked the first one just fine, but I'm really looking forward to the second one.

Refer back to the Bowielee's Theory of Super Hero Movie Sequels:

The second movie of a Super Hero Franchise will almost always be the best as it no longer has to do the origin/setup of the characters and it is before the studios interfere and make them bad.

Now that Marvel has it's own studio, though, who knows if this will be the case any longer.

I also liked the first Thor, it was not as strong as some of the others, but I had a lot of fun with it. The only issue it has was being a lot slower then the others when it came to action, but I think it worked for his origin.

I'm there. Day one.[DOUBLEPOST=1365022498][/DOUBLEPOST]Funny story about Thor. The Thor comic is what got me interested in mythology. It was my gateway drug into Greek/Roman mythology and I've been fascinated by them ever since.

Have not seen the first movie yet, but did see the Avengers over the weekend. And in that film Thor and Loki go toe to toe in a physical fight, that I found very weird and not cannon to the comics. Does that occur in Thor 1?

Have not seen the first movie yet, but did see the Avengers over the weekend. And in that film Thor and Loki go toe to toe in a physical fight, that I found very weird and not cannon to the comics. Does that occur in Thor 1?
Yep, they do.

I justified it to myself by saying that Thor's holding back against Loki in the Avengers, because Loki's his brother. Only after Loki enrages him does Thor deliver a straight beatdown.

No such excuse in the first film though. They're pretty evenly matched in that battle.

Yep, they do.

I justified it to myself by saying that Thor's holding back against Loki in the Avengers, because Loki's his brother. Only after Loki enrages him does Thor deliver a straight beatdown.

No such excuse in the first film though. They're pretty evenly matched in that battle.
Actually, both times Loki potentially has some form of external boost in power. In the Avengers, it's from the soul gem.
In Thor, for most of that fight, he is wielding the Odinspear. Notice how easily Thor is able to restrain Loki once he is separated from the spear.

Which role did he give up?
the Doctor in Doctor Who. He was the actor they used to bring the show back and left after a single season. Mostly because it was set up as lets see if this is popular and we'll only get minor actors for small contracts and then suddenly bammo!

fade

Staff member
Could be good. I hope they do more 9 worlds stuff. When I was a kid, I had this huge, beautifully illustrated Norse mythology book. I loved it before I got into comics. I read the Thor comics and thought, hey this isn't so far off the real stuff.

Yeah, I hope they stay almost exclusively out of Earth. Thor was always his most boring when he wasn't doing Asgard stuff.

Except when Loki turned him into a frog, of course.

North_Ranger

Staff member
Look, I haven't kept up to pace what's going on with the movie. I try not to get hyped about movies in the production stage, because more often than I care mention a movie that I've wanted to see has been mothballed or turned into a horrid, gasping mockery of what it could have been. I'm looking at you, World War Z!

Honestly, I don't mind at all. Hiddleston is great as Loki. (I say this as a non-comic reader, so I'm fully prepared to get my ass kicked for it by those who do). So I'm still hyped for this movie.