TIL: Today I Learned

Dave

Staff member
Not much to add, the video covers it pretty well.

I've seen some funeral processions and services with strippers and pole dancers before, but they were much more common in my youth (in the 80s and 90s) compared to the modern day. I honestly couldn't tell you why there are funeral strippers though. Is it meant to draw more people to your funeral? Possibly. Is it a way to send off the deceased in glamor and glitz? Maybe. Is it just an excuse to see some strippers and pole dancers? Also possible.

Funnily enough, though, funerals are not the only places you'd see strippers. I've also seen strippers pop up at religious festivals, political rallies, weddings, outdoor concerts, etc. Again, much more common when I was a kid, much less common these days.

Also, Taiwan is home to betel nut beauties. They're less common these days after the government started cracking down on them, but for a while they were a really unique and beautiful part of Taiwanese culture.

I guess the Taiwanese just really like strippers.
In the US they are usually baristas.

Sorry, never heard of it. That in Wisconsin?
... you’re kidding, right???

Did your parents never take I 94 west to take you to the Wisconsin Dells? If so, you went past the place every damn time.

I only remember it as a supper club but never went there or even thought about going there as a music facility. Most of the time as we were driving between Madison and Milwaukee, it was just an odd shaped empty building on the south side of the freeway

... you’re kidding, right???

Did your parents never take I 94 west to take you to the Wisconsin Dells? If so, you went past the place every damn time.

I only remember it as a supper club but never went there or even thought about going there as a music facility. Most of the time as we were driving between Madison and Milwaukee, it was just an odd shaped empty building on the south side of the freeway
The Dells wasn't a big destination for us.

Today I learned...

In 1972 Carl Bernstein was a normal beat writer for The Washington Post who applied to become one of their main music reviewers. He was denied the promotion, and told the newspaper he would quit as soon as he could find a new job. They apparently agreed, but asked him to cover a small story about some break-in at a local office building first...

It’s amazing how history can really turn on seemingly innocuous moments.

When you watch Disney's The Small One for the first time since you were a kid and realize that the scary fucking tanner you remember was actually polite and honest during his entire scene.

Last edited:
TIL that in the line from Matthew 2:13, where the Angel of the Lord tells Joseph to get out of Bethlehem and head to Egypt, when the angel uses the words "Rise, take the child and his mother, and flee to Egypt", the word flee is actually the Greek word pheuge.

Which is the base of the English word "refugee."

YIL (Yesterday) that the US Gov't/FireEye breach via Solarwinds Orion was compromised because Solarwinds secured the update server with the incredibly secure password of "solarwinds123" and TIL they had leaked said password in a PUBLIC GitHub repo last November.

(major sarcasm on the "incredibly secure" password - insert Spaceballs luggage password of '12345' joke here)

Edit: Yes, that password is capitalized correctly and (donning IT Security hat) if anyone has a password like that for something that is supposed to be secure - change it immediately. (puts regular IT server admin hat back on)

Last edited:

Dave

Staff member
That was on their main servers. Meanwhile, they made everyone else have super secure passwords on their clients. Like STUPID secure. You know the ones - mix of numbers, characters, and letters, can't have doubles, must be at least 16 total, change it every 30 days, etc. So while they were forcing everyone else to be secure, they themselves were fucking morons.

And the kicker? The hackers pushed out exploits to all the clients anyway and installed backdoors. So those intrusive password rules did absolutely nothing.

figmentPez

Staff member
other than theft, and large fleets, why fix something that isnt broken?
According to this article from Car and Driver: Police state kinda shit.

"The plate can also warn people that the car it's on has been stolen, or maybe to show an Amber or Silver Alert, if the state wants that functionality, Boston said."

I can see the benefits, but just what are the limits on this? Will it be used to tag cars that were speeding, ran red lights, or committed other traffic violations? Will it be used to change the tags of those with arrest warrants? What about people just wanted for questioning? Who gets to decide when they're changed and why? What are the protections from hacking and other misuse of the system?

My PC "forgot" what program I want to use to play videos so TIL the default Microsoft Films & TV app can't natively play MP4's - and they you to pay(!) to download the codec for it. Nope I'll just set that back to using VLC.

TIL that there is a state park about thirty miles north of NYC in Yorktown Heights, just south of FDR State Park, that is named Donald J. Trump State Park.

It is not administered by the SONY Parks Department, as it was essentially "delisted" as a park 11 years ago. It is considered a "passive" park by the state, as in they do minimal work on it and - outside a couple of signs on the Taconic State Parkway and the entrance sign - keep it unsigned.