[News] US Capitol Siege 6 January 2021

Dave

Staff member
These people are only being charged with violent entry? They are all being charged with simple misdemeanors, which is bullshit.

I think they’re starting with smaller charges just to get them in custody with something that will stick, then add more later. This is an absolute shitshow they’re trying to unravel right now.
This. How many times have we seen prosecutors overplay their hand by going for the biggest charges first, only to come away empty?

Huh, I've never felt it was in any way elitist. More like it was meant for lateral thinkers.

--Patrick
I freely admit that it is just how it makes me feel. But I get that impression from a lot of the comics. I can't help how they make me feel ;)

To come back on topic..I'm feeling a bit sad.
I just went through my facebook friends and purged about 30 of them for being Trumpers caught up in his cult of personality. Some people I'd known decades. Some family.
I just cannot get this horrific attack on the capitol out of my mind. It makes me sad for the country, and it makes me furious that anyone I may have once considered a friend supported it.

My entire family mostly worships Trump. The only one I don't know his feelings on is my father, and that is just because ever since I have known him he never talks about politics. My step-mother though? Totally lost, religious zealot, who recently asked me if I was going to Church enough so that I don't burn for eternity in the End Times, which she believes is going to happen soon since Biden is the "Anti-Christ" (Hey that's familiar, didn't you say that about Obama?)

My step-dad is also nutty, and kind of dragged my mother into it more then she already was, though my mother now and then has hints of clarity as long as I talk with her without my step-dad around.

We long ago agreed to just not talk about it anymore for the sake of my kids. I want them to have grandparents, but we made a deal that the kids are off limits to all politics, even second hand discussion. I know my mother is a good person, lots of charity, helps out friends, but she just is lost in the Fox News machine, and I don't think I can ever bring her back when her husband is deep as fuck in the conspiracy side of it all.

figmentPez

Staff member
Business Insider: Some among America's military allies believe Trump deliberately attempted a coup and may have had help from federal law-enforcement officials

The officials interviewed "said the circumstantial evidence available pointed to what would be openly called a coup attempt in any other nation."

"Insider is reporting this information because it illustrates the scale and seriousness of Wednesday's events: America's international military and security allies are now willing to give serious credence to the idea that Trump deliberately tried to violently overturn an election and that some federal law-enforcement agents — by omission or otherwise — facilitated the attempt."

"The president then makes a public statement to the supporters attacking the Capitol that he loves them but doesn't really tell them to stop," the [NATO] official said. "Today I am briefing my government that we believe with a reasonable level of certainty that Donald Trump attempted a coup that failed when the system did not buckle. "

"The French police official said they believed that an investigation would find that someone interfered with the deployment of additional federal law-enforcement officials on the perimeter of the Capitol complex "

figmentPez

Staff member

Golly, you mean conspiracies to overthrow the government leave a trail of evidence?

But that's not what Republicans said about voter fraud....

I was mildly surprised when the lady sitting on the floor started talking in a Russian accent. For some reason, I associated all the rioters with southern hillbilly accents. Perhaps I should reexamine my biases.

Congresscritter Whathername (R-Glock) essentially admitted ON THE HOUSE FLOOR that she was part of the attack. And was live tweeting the movements of Pelosi and others.

If there isn't a shitload of 14th Amendment invoking in the coming days, then we may as well close up shop. Expel them and expel them NOW.