Valheim

Meanwhile, I just have to walk next to the water and the fish come to me.

So, where's the one moonwalking away from your lure? :D

GasBandit

Staff member
Making good progress.

1633127087991.png

Got the first floor tidied up and spaced out a bit. Got separate bedrooms for myself and Emrys, Celt Z, and Snuffleupagus (Dei and her husband have their own house on the other side of a portal). Got some aesthetic trim going on and some furniture going (comfort level 14 in most places). Got my hot tub on the top floor with a scenic view of the surrounding land and water. The workshop and kitchen are 100% functional and completely upgraded, with all storage labeled and placed in the vicinity so the "craft from containers" mods have an easy time pulling ingredients. Still need a lot more furniture and stuff though, so a lot more fine wood, pelts, and metal are gonna be needed. Also a lot of tar needed so we can properly shingle the roof instead of thatch.

GasBandit

Staff member
Today I discovered there is a grab-point on the figurehead of the longship, so you can be a badass as the hammer of the gods drives your ship to new lands.

1633229823354.png

Today I also discovered there is NOT a grab point at the rear of the ship, and if you try for one, you will tumble out and land in the wide, cold ocean with a splash, and then have to walk Keltsey through navigating the boat back to you before your stamina gives out and your armor drags you down to the depths.

GasBandit

Staff member

All weapons now use less stamina (yaaay)
Knives now have more durability (yay..?)
Fulings will now try to surround you more instead of attack straight on (eep)
Parrying a ranged attack will now once again stagger the attacker (yaaay)
Food HP/Stamina levels rebalanced again (... we'll see)
Acorn and birch seed drop rates increased (yaaay)
Crystal walls are no longer comfort items (boooo)
Lox attacks now have longer cooldowns (good for hunting, bad for riding)
Night-spawn enemies now despawn faster when sun comes up (memories of what it took to tame a 2 star wolf... resurfacing...)
New item: Jack'o'Turnip (spoopy)

Dave

Staff member
Me playing New World. I’m a mage who blasts fire. When you run right at me it’s impossible for me to miss. So by the time they get to me they are dead or almost dead.

GasBandit

Staff member
Thing is, Fulings were already kind of a bastard for trying to flank you. Depending on how much it is changing, this could make fuling fights VERY dangerous.

GasBandit

Staff member
Norse life is good.

From the third floor of the house at the workshop, the hot tub has a panoramic ocean view. The water is warm, the company is agreeable, the mead is sweet, and the food is hearty.

Yagluth will soon meet his end (again). Soon as we find the bastige.

GasBandit

Staff member
And just a reminder that the game now has manual join by IP built into the main menu, so you don't have to do the whole steam server browser thing.

GasBandit

Staff member
Yagluth found!

Yagluth summoned!

Yagluth absolutely stomped us into the ground like golf tees. Wasn't even remotely a threat to him. Clearly we need to approach this differently. With fire resist potions and frost-based weapons, next time.

GasBandit

Staff member
From the wiki:

Yagluth is fairly slow but has devastating attacks.
  • Nova: Yagluth raises his right fist which glows blue before slamming the ground, creating a short range spherical explosion. Anyone standing within the explosion radius will take 65 Fire, 65 Lightning 100 Chop and 100 Pickaxe damage. Blue fire will remain in the area for a short time dealing 100 Fire damage over time.
  • Meteors: Yagluth raises his left fist which glows red. Then burning stones fall from above and create a small explosion on the landing spots. Anyone hit takes 40 Blunt, 120 Fire, 50 Chop and 50 Pickaxe damage. The meteors fall from the sky at a slight angle which is from from the direction of Yagluth.
  • Fire Breath: Yagluth will occasionally breathe a beam-like fire in a straight line and slowly rotate to follow the player (if they are side-stepping). This rapidly deals several hits of 40 Fire, 20 Lightning, 50 Chop and 50 Pickaxe damage.
  • Environment aura that forces darkness and removes raining which means Wet from rain can't be used as Fire resistance.

Looking it up, though, I had assumed Chop and Pickaxe damage were just words for slashing and piercing, but apparently they're the special type of slashing and piercing damage that only affects terrain (chopping trees and crushing rock), so they don't actually damage players - they just cause terrain/structure damage.

So yeah, the primary concern here is the fire damage. And that tracks with what I experienced - usually it was the nova that got me with the after-burning effect.

Apparently you can also dodge the nova by rolling right when his fist comes down - rolling imparts a few invulnerability frames while you roll, so the initial slam will miss you - but the lingering burn will still be an issue. Hopefully the fire resistance wine will help with that.

I had assumed Chop and Pickaxe damage were just words for slashing and piercing, but apparently they're the special type of slashing and piercing damage that only affects terrain (chopping trees and crushing rock), so they don't actually damage players - they just cause terrain/structure damage.
That was my take, too. Glad you clarified.
Guess it just means you can't use terrain for cover. More than once, anyway.

--Patrick

GasBandit

Staff member
It took a couple weeks for our scheduled to realign, but we finally got Yagluth down. It was a freaking struggle, mostly because the fight ranged all over the plains biome that Yagluth was in, and we kept running afoul of adds - first some Lox that did way more damage to me than Yagluth himself did, then constant deathsquitoes and fulings, and at one point there was a 2-star fuling that nearly caused a TPW. At another point, Yagluth called down a meteor shower that destroyed our portal and the building it was housed in, and I had to keep him busy/drag him away while Emrys rebuilt the portal so that Keltsey could get back from being dead.

But in the end, we prevailed. Some lessons learned:

1) There's a reason why some people tunnel under Yagluth's altar before they summon him, so they can go down there to rest. This is a LONG fight and stamina is a real problem. It'd be real nice to be able to hide to take a breather without having to worry about adds.
2) Fire resist barley wine is absolutely essential
3) Health regen mead lasts only a few seconds but has a 2 minute reuse cooldown >_<
4) Yagluth's close range attacks are actually pretty weak. If you get right in his face, he doesn't use his laser-breath, and his own giant head blocks the meteor showers from hitting you. His Point Blank Area of Effect fireblast can be dodge-rolled with pretty easy timing, the invulnerability you get during the roll makes the first blast miss, and the lingering fire damage can be handled pretty easily by fire resist wine.
5) Bonemass power is still a pretty good idea. Yagluth doesn't do a lot of physical damage, but boy oh boy do the adds.
6) Even with frost arrows, the DPS of archery from range is way too low. His natural health regeneration will outpace it unless you have like six people, and it's easy to get so hyperfocused on shooting him you don't see incoming meteor showers. Best to get up in his face with melee instead.
7) The meteor showers are by far his most dangerous attack. When he raises his left fist, you gotta immediately stop whatever you are doing (unless you're right under his chin) and just run in a straight line. The meteors don't "lead" you but they have a large area of impact, and if you're standing still they will fall directly on you and demolish you. You might think you're safe if you're far away from him, but if you are anywhere within sight of him when he raises his fist, you're probably gonna get at least one meteor.