Vegetarianism... Maybe...?

Status
Not open for further replies.
C

Chibibar

I was a vegetarian for 15 years (also for health) but I do crave meat here and there. there are Asian Veggie meat (which is WAY better than american version) So it is possible. If you have an Asian market near your place, you can check out what kind of vegetarian stuff they have. This will help supply some of the protein that you need (all from soy, veggies and different tofu) it is actually pretty good and even taste like meat (chicken are the best one)

W

Wasabi Poptart

I was mostly a non-meat person for a few years when I was living alone. I'm not a real fan of red meat to begin with. Plus living by myself with a mortgage and car loan to pay didn't leave me much money for food. I wasn't strict about it. I'd have chicken a couple times a month. I'd have turkey sandwiches. I ate eggs and fish, too. I really didn't miss red meat since I don't care for it. I ate a lot of cereal, fruit, salads, and soups.

I'd love to go back to eating that way. I had lost about 30 pounds without trying. I felt healthier. However, with a husband and son who are carnivores, and a budget that doesn't allow for me to make two separate meals every time we eat, I try to make healthier food choices and get better cuts of meat.

fade

Staff member
See, I've had the exact opposite experience. One of my biggest impediment to dropping meat is that meat is cheaper with respect to energy/filling than vegetables.

R

Rubicon

I dont think I could ever remove meat from my diet. I like some veggies but not many, most I find disgusting to taste. Beef, chicken, turkey, pork, love them. Not big on fish, hate it, but I love shrimp.

Hell dinner last night was meatloaf, a baked potato and cornbread.

C

Chibibar

See, I've had the exact opposite experience. One of my biggest impediment to dropping meat is that meat is cheaper with respect to energy/filling than vegetables.
sad but true :(

it is even CHEAPER to eat unhealthy than healthy.

So I'm going to bring this to the halforums table, because you all seem pretty grounded and what-not.
HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA!

HAHAHAHA

HA.

*wipes away tear*

you all seem pretty grounded and what-not.
HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA....[/QUOTE]

Don't laugh! I'll have you know that I'm an excellent deterrent to lightning. I keep buildings functioning. :humph:

T

The Pumes

I remember hearing in passing reference about a couple forms of vegetarianism that are quite a bit less extreme (they allow certain things), one is able to include eggs (which are a fantastic source of protein), while the other says 'Hey brorleans you can eat anything besides mammals. Chicken and Fish are so much better for you than most red meats, and there are so many varieties of fish as well :3

In short: Don't eat the red meat brohantas.

W

Wasabi Poptart

sad but true :(

it is even CHEAPER to eat unhealthy than healthy.[/QUOTE]

While I know meat is cheaper as far as energy goes and being more filling than vegetables, when I was living alone it would have been a waste of money for me to buy beef. I'd buy a pack of steaks, cook one, and put the rest in the freezer. By the time I wanted another steak, they would be freezer burnt and I'd have to throw them away. With vegetables and fruits, I'd normally eat them before they went bad.

Honestly, if you want to switch back to vegetarianism, go for it. You have to do what you want to do, and what you feel is right for your life. Plus, there are some tasty, tasty vegetarian recipes out there.

Also, I agree with the Chibs, Asian meat substitutes are wayyyy better than American, if you can get your hands on them. I used to work for a small company that was owned by a Jewish man who kept to his Kosher laws, who liked to feed us all each week. One of the restaurants that we would order from was a Chinese/Indian restaurant that served Vegan, Kosher meals. They made "chicken" and "seafood" dishes that had absolutely no real meat in them, using soy protein replacements. I won't say that you couldn't tell the difference between real chicken and their substitute, because you definitely could; but while you were noticing the lack of real chicken you also knew that using real chicken would have ruined the dish and that the substitute was the right ingredient.

G

Gill Kaiser

What's the point of limiting yourself by subscribing to some kind of abstract ideal? Just eat what you feel like, and if that includes meat, fine, and if it's mostly vegetables, that's also fine. That's what I do.

D

Deschain

Never forsake yourself for other's expectations. The world is not you. Balanced meal is better than suffering because someone disagrees with you.

I could be a vegetarian if I had to but I could never go on Atkins.

I DO love meat, but I could never give up carbs.

Personally, I just eat healthy. Being a vegetarian just means I'd have to resort to other ways to get the nutrients I get out of meat, so I just eat the meat instead.

I only get vegans if they're in it for the animal cruelty and such, but not so much if it's because it's supposedly healthy for you.

I'm with the "lean veggie, stay omni" crowd. I see no reason to cut meat out entirely, but cutting some of the volume out of your diet and replacing some of it with more veggies could help a lot.

In my case, it's entirely a volume problem, regardless of what I eat, so I am trying, though not succeeding at all :)o), to reduce the total amount I eat.

Status
Not open for further replies.