[Informational] Video embedding fixed.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Dave

Staff member
They did a 1.1 Release Candidate today. I wasn't planning on updating, but they fixed something I've wanted to see. You can now embed videos but doing nothing more than typing in (or cutting and pasting) the full url.

Dave

Staff member
I think they did. Every time I set it up instead of the code of the video it merely says "video". The window then goes right to their site and a 404 page.

Dave

Staff member
Funny or Die videos are now able to be embedded. I'll work on dorkly and failblog again and see how I do.
Added at: 11:02
DORKLY!!!!
Added at: 11:03
Holy shit I may have this figured out!

OK, strange problem. I can see YouTube videos in this thread but not the Awesome videos thread. My initial hypothesis is that there are too many videos on the page trying to load there but not here. Will test further.

Dave

Staff member
Failblog may not be possible. I can't even find embed codes for videos there.
Added at: 11:09
I can see them there.

I couldn't load a video in the Animation is it a Genre thread and it was the only video in that thread, so I think I'm wrong about the number of videos loading. If I couldn't see them here I would think it was only my browser. It probably still is, but I don't understand why I see videos in this thread but not other threads.

Do you have the same issue on xenblue theme? If so, it's probably an issue on your end - your ISP or something else is messing with your computer's youtube requests. Of course, if changing the theme fixes it then it's probably a theme issue.

Well, if it makes you feel better, you're not missing much. If it were me I'd try a different browser, then a different computer or network (if it's a laptop).

Dave

Staff member
The problem with Blip is the lack of embed codes.
Scratch that. I was thinking about a different site.
Added at: 12:46
The issue with Blip is the way that things are embedded. For example, to watch the latest episode of Save Point, you load the video using the following url:
http://blip.tv/savepoint/ep7web-5817746
Yet the salient embed code looks like this:
<iframe src="http://blip.tv/play/h5cQguOLdgI.html" width="550" height="340" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe><embed type="application/x-shockwave-flash" src="http://a.blip.tv/api.swf#h5cQguOLdgI" style="display:none"></embed>
So instead of being able to do a 1-1 match of the video ID code, you have to do some php work to make the conversion happen. And I don't know what they use to scramble the ID.

Dave

Staff member
I've also just added Amazon Affiliate linking. Doubt I'll ever make much with it, but if you post a link to an Amazon item and someone buys it, I get some cash.

Just cut/paste the link and it sets up the link with picture.

Amazon product

so any time we buy anything on amazon, we should post a link here and then buy it? I can handle that if it helps pay your server bills.

Dave

Staff member
That's not quite how I envisioned it, but that would work. I just wanted to be upfront about my attempts at monetization. I don't hide anything from you guys.
Added at: 10:45
I really, really wish steam had an affiliate program. That way we could set up something for Fez to make some coin off his threads.
If anyone knows of affiliate link programs that would help Fez I'd be all for setting it up for him.

Re: Amazon Affiliate links, how about throwing up an "I bought this!" thread for that, if people want to support the site?
Added at: 11:02
Also, I wish you had done this last week; I did all my Christmas shopping through Amazon :/

As opposed to the Epic Win/Rant/Kinda Rant/Whiny McWhinerpants threads? As long as it's obvious to its intent, I don't think it's a big deal. Besides, if people don't care for it, the thread would just die.

Dave

Staff member
The problem with Viddler is that the url is different and does not contain the {$id} necessary. In this case the {$id} = 106cf721 but the video is #106. When I went to viddler I didn't even get that.

GasBandit

Staff member
The problem with Viddler is that the url is different and does not contain the {$id} necessary. In this case the {$id} = 106cf721 but the video is #106. When I went to viddler I didn't even get that.
Interesting. The second link I posted, what they call their "wordpress" share link method, has that $id in it -
[viddler id-106cf721&w-545&h-307]

would that help?

Status
Not open for further replies.