TWO GO IN, ONE COMES OUT!

drifter

drifter

These are the alternatives I've seen mentioned most often:

http://theoldreader.com/
http://blog.feedly.com/
http://www.rssowl.org/
http://rssident.com

And here's a link to a bunch of other options.

Ravenpoe

Ravenpoe

HOW CAN THEY DO THIS?!

MindDetective

MindDetective

Many thanks. I'll do some research

figmentPez

figmentPez

WHAT? This is awful. Please tell me something offers the same type of functionality. I don't want to have something that doesn't sync between devices. That's why I never got into RSS before I found Google reader.[DOUBLEPOST=1363233080][/DOUBLEPOST]I love the Lifehacker article on Google Reader alternatives

"all desktop apps currently sync with Google Reader."

:fu:

Well, time to start looking at the cloud based readers:
- NetVibes
- NewsBlur
- Feedly

fade

fade

http://mashable.com/2013/03/13/google-kills-google-reader/

No way. This is my home page and my first stop in the morning. :(

MindDetective

MindDetective

fade

fade

Ooops. I see there's already a thread.

fade

fade

Ah, you even beat me to saying you beat me.

fade

fade

Yeah, this sucks. This is my homepage, and the center of my surfing activities. I'm rather surprised, because I thought Reader had a big user base.

Frank

Frank

Does Google Wallet still exist? If so, this is a fucking monstrosity.

GasBandit

GasBandit

I'm pissed as hell too.

That said, I've installed feedly on my PC (firefox version) and android tablet... and after a few minutes of learning how it works differently (it takes a few settings tweaks to make it look/work just like google reader), I think it will be an acceptable replacement. If you get started with it now, it can sync all your data from google reader, and when reader goes down they've already got another backend ready to go to take over and continue functionality.

MindDetective

MindDetective

I'm pissed as hell too.

That said, I've installed feedly on my PC (firefox version) and android tablet... and after a few minutes of learning how it works differently (it takes a few settings tweaks to make it look/work just like google reader), I think it will be an acceptable replacement. If you get started with it now, it can sync all your data from google reader, and when reader goes down they've already got another backend ready to go to take over and continue functionality.
Yeah, I am leaning towards Feedly too.

GasBandit

GasBandit

My only complaint about feedly really, is it has a bad habit of showing you stuff you've already read when you told it not to... usually once you've read everything and are still in "latest" mode.

bhamv3

bhamv3

This thread is now about grape juice.

I like grape juice. I think it's now my favorite juice.

Covar

Covar

:fu::fu::fu::fu::fu:

Covar

Covar

My only complaint about feedly really, is it has a bad habit of showing you stuff you've already read when you told it not to... usually once you've read everything and are still in "latest" mode.
I noticed that. I really wish they would make a setting to fix that, their default theme at least does not make it super clear what is marked as read. You're right though, it's not Google Reader, but it will be an acceptable replacement. I wouldn't switch to it if I didn't have to, but at least I'll have something usable come July.

GasBandit

GasBandit

I've found if you use J and K to navigate, the "today" tab is acceptable, though you have to clock the refresh circular arrow at the bottom of each "page" after 15 or so items. But it has a better time not showing already read things.

And I've also discovered it's gmail integration for sharing articles is a bit buggy in the firefox version, though it works fine on android.

But really what makes this a winner is the easy, seamless migration it does for you from google reader - and right now it syncs data between them. Makes for a very convenient transition.

Covar

Covar

Using N and P to navigate without expanding the full article also seems to prevent old items from popping up.

The seamless migration is very nice, and you're right it's a definite plus in its favor. I hope it (or something else) picks up enough traction to replace Readers role as a backend API. Feedly's blog says they have been working on a 1:1 mapping of it to their own servers, it would be great if developers moved to it. Their iOS app isn't bad, but I much prefer Reeder.

GasBandit

GasBandit

Interestingly enough, I like feedly's android app's ui better than the official google reader app for android... but there seems to be a slight delay in syncing data between tablet and desktop. Though, I suppose that could be due to the mad stampede of users from reader to feedly. Supposedly feedly already has it's own back end almost ready to go that they call "Normandy" which they'll open to 3rd parties "once everything is stable."

Covar

Covar

More I use Feedly the more I'm liking it. Having some annoyance with the mouse behaviors, but the keyboard shortcuts work great. Really easy to send articles to Twitter and Facebook too. Still not wild about the mobile app.

GasBandit

GasBandit

More I use Feedly the more I'm liking it. Having some annoyance with the mouse behaviors, but the keyboard shortcuts work great. Really easy to send articles to Twitter and Facebook too. Still not wild about the mobile app.
I dunno about the ios version, but for android, I just touch the first thing on "today" and then I can swipe side to side to go forward/back between items. One thing that surprised me is if you go to the original site/article (by touching the title at the top) it opens it within feedly, as in it has its own embedded browser. Again.. at least on android.

fade

fade

It's just me, but I've never had a need for a newsreader on my phone. Web browsing on my phone is always opportunistic rather than leisurely.

GasBandit

GasBandit

I sometimes read my feeds while in the bathroom at work or at a restaurant if I am alone.

Bowielee

Bowielee

I have Flipboard on my phone for RSS feeds. It's definitely not something that I go to specifically, but if I have time to kill, it's nice to have the aggregation right there.

fade

fade

Also, Google Calendar seems to be dropping CalDAV support in favor of its private, closed API.

GasBandit

GasBandit

"the old reader" intrigues me... pity they don't have a mobile app and you have to import subscriptions by XML and can't import starred/saved messages...

Gilgamesh

Gilgamesh

Feedly is working fine over here.

GasBandit

GasBandit

Feedly is working fine over here.
Feedly's ok, when it's working right for me. I'm still occasionally having problems with it having things I've already read still marked as unread, and there is sometimes a lag in updating what's been read and what hasn't between the browser app and the mobile app. That, and I haven't successfully e-mailed an item from within it since I got it. Works fine in the mobile app because it uses android's gmail client to do so... but in browser, I can't seem to e-mail anything.

MindDetective

MindDetective

I'm digging Feedly. It does a few things better than reader that make it easier to read my feeds. I'm not having any marked as read issues either.

GasBandit

GasBandit

Actually, now I have to come back and say those issues are getting better, and even the e-mail link is working now... maybe it was just a congestion issue in the few days immediately following the google reader closure notice.

Covar

Covar

Engadget was reporting that Feedly has gained 500,000 users since the notice.

GasBandit

GasBandit

Aaand the e-mail link isn't working again.

evilmike

evilmike

This isn't the most practical solution, but it's kind of fun:

StarRSS -- turn a RSS feed into a Star Wars crawl.

For example:
A long time ago, in a galaxy far, far away on Halforums...
halwars.jpg

Covar

Covar

Feedly has switched over to their own servers now. One big thing they didn't grab from Google Reader was your history (they said it was just to much data to import) so unread counts are reset. It took me maybe 5 minutes to browse through what I hadn't read, then just mark the rest as read. Feedly has also announced that there will be support with Reeder down the road.

GasBandit

GasBandit

I'm getting real sick of feedly's shit.

Today digg announced they're going to try to make their own RSS reader.

http://www.digg.com/reader

chrisek

chrisek

Hi friends,

After a week of testing and scaling, I'm happy to fully open Grip the RSS Reader to the public!

www.gripping.us

This beta version is aimed first and foremost at Google Reader users looking for a new home. And even if you’re not a Google Reader refugee, come on in! You can build up your list of sources or searching for feeds via the “Add” button.
Once you’re in, you’ll be able to:
- Speedily migrate your feeds and folders from Google Reader
- Use keyboard shortcuts, just like in Google Reader
- Read using either List or Expanded View
- Jump to a view of your most popular unread items (as calculated by the rapidly-evolving algorithms of our data scientist) by clicking Popular
- Share to Twitter and Facebook
- Search for feeds by clicking “Add” and typing the source name.

Please tell me what else add to future versions. Right now in mind i have facebook integration, social features stability issues.

cheers
chrisek

Bowielee

Bowielee

Actually sounds legit, but still not clicking links.

GasBandit

GasBandit

Yep. Sorry, gripping, you missed your window. I'm now too invested (and have made too many changes to my feeds) in Feedly to be uprooted now by anything short of utter disaster or a feed tracker that has direct wireless prostate stimulation.

Gilgamesh

Gilgamesh

Yep. Sorry, gripping, you missed your window. I'm now too invested (and have made too many changes to my feeds) in Feedly to be uprooted now by anything short of utter disaster or a feed tracker that has direct wireless prostate stimulation.
That was pretty much my exact reaction.