Export thread

We're sorry we lost your dog, have a voucher.

GasBandit

GasBandit

Found this one while finding links for today's update to the GBPT-

Delta offers a flight voucher after losing a passenger's dog.

Dave

Dave

I heard about that yesterday. I like the way the guy just found the dog and took it in the first place.

When in Mexico, my girlfriend and I rescued a stray dog which our hosts said had been seen all over the town. We took him to the vet's, got him all of his shots, an eye infection treated, two baths to clean him from hundreds of dog ticks that were covering his whole body, and gave him the name Paco. After this treatment at the vet clinic, we had to spend multiple additional hours picking more ticks from his body. We soon discovered that this dog was a very lucky find, and that it would be loyal and friendly to my girlfriend and I. It would walk by my side along the beach and along the sidewalks, went to the washroom outside, didn't bark at cars or other dogs, and would sleep on the bed next to us curled up in a ball quite contently. My girlfriend and I were both very excited to take him back home to Canada with us, and we quite readily paid for an airline approved pet carrier and the costs associated with checking a pet on an airplane to travel as baggage, as he was too big to be taken as carry-on.
All stray dogs are people friendly and are already housebroken. It never occurred to him to try and find Paco's owner. Just take him out of the country.

I know what Delta did was a mistake, but this guy is trying to make himself out to be Mr. Perfect and I ain't buying it.

Chibibar

I heard about that yesterday. I like the way the guy just found the dog and took it in the first place.

When in Mexico, my girlfriend and I rescued a stray dog which our hosts said had been seen all over the town. We took him to the vet's, got him all of his shots, an eye infection treated, two baths to clean him from hundreds of dog ticks that were covering his whole body, and gave him the name Paco. After this treatment at the vet clinic, we had to spend multiple additional hours picking more ticks from his body. We soon discovered that this dog was a very lucky find, and that it would be loyal and friendly to my girlfriend and I. It would walk by my side along the beach and along the sidewalks, went to the washroom outside, didn't bark at cars or other dogs, and would sleep on the bed next to us curled up in a ball quite contently. My girlfriend and I were both very excited to take him back home to Canada with us, and we quite readily paid for an airline approved pet carrier and the costs associated with checking a pet on an airplane to travel as baggage, as he was too big to be taken as carry-on.
All stray dogs are people friendly and are already housebroken. It never occurred to him to try and find Paco's owner. Just take him out of the country.

I know what Delta did was a mistake, but this guy is trying to make himself out to be Mr. Perfect and I ain't buying it.
True. It could have been abandon. Do people in Mexico "chip" their dog?

sixpackshaker

sixpackshaker

I wonder if Canadian or American Customs put him down with out telling anyone.

Chazwozel

No collar and you expect him to search door to door on his trip to Mexico? Chances are that dog was miles from home.

Dave

Dave

No collar and you expect him to search door to door on his trip to Mexico? Chances are that dog was miles from home.[/QUOTE]

No, but if he can take it to the vet for shots he could take it to the Mexican equivalent of the Humane Society or even see if the vet has knowledge of microchipping animals.

Chazwozel

No collar and you expect him to search door to door on his trip to Mexico? Chances are that dog was miles from home.[/QUOTE]

No, but if he can take it to the vet for shots he could take it to the Mexican equivalent of the Humane Society or even see if the vet has knowledge of microchipping animals.[/QUOTE]

Dude...Mexico...

In every country I've ever been to, people treat dogs like...well dogs... I highly doubt a stray dog in Mexico would be microchipped.

Dave

Dave

Why does everyone treat Mexico like a third-world backwards country? They can microchip dogs, too.

GasBandit

GasBandit

Why does everyone treat Mexico like a third-world backwards country?
Because they're a third-world backwards country.

Calleja

Calleja

Uh..

My dog and my cat are microchipped.

GasBandit

GasBandit

Ok, the parts that aren't tourist destinations are backwards, 3rd world countries ;)

Plus, the closer you get to the US border, the more anarchy, fear, corruption and death rule the day.

Calleja

Calleja

That's... that's mexico city. That's where I was born, and were 20 million people live and work every day. The country's capital main function is not tourism.

Morphine

Morphine

The percentage of microchipped dogs in Mexico is quite low, very few people do it, chances are, that stray dog wasn't microchipped and I'm actually glad these people decided to take him home.

I HATE the lack of respect for animals people tend to have here in Mexico, there are THOUSANDS of stray dogs all over the place because of this so that dog really got lucky.

Chazwozel

Why does everyone treat Mexico like a third-world backwards country? They can microchip dogs, too.

Yeah, I know they can, but you see the U.S. is really the only country that treats pets like people with all these ridiculous things like clothes for dogs, professional grooming, brushing their teeth everyday, and yes microchipping.

You know what my parents dogs get fed in Poland? Bones and leftovers. You know where they sleep? Outside in the summer and in the garage during the winter. A lot of people do this all over the world, and only take the dog to the vet for rabies vaccinations once every three years.

I would not have gone to seek out the "owners" of this dog unless it had a collar. You can also feel the microchip under their skin.

---------- Post added at 01:56 PM ---------- Previous post was at 01:53 PM ----------

That's... that's mexico city. That's where I was born, and were 20 million people live and work every day. The country's capital main function is not tourism.

You forgot to mention that its the most populous city in the world. I didn't say what I said to suggest that Mexicans don't treat dogs like people because they can't afford it. I'm saying that culturally, the US is the only country that treats cats and dogs like they're little people...instead of cats and dogs.

That said, I love my dog, but I laugh and continue to laugh when my vet tells me to brush his teeth and put a sweater on him in the wintertime. He's a fucking dog!

Calleja

Calleja

My dog is microchipped, sleeps inside at night and runs around the garden during the day. She's just now at the groomer's where they're trimming and bathing her. My dad paid like 30 bucks for that.

And she still wears a sweat-shirt thing when it's really cold.

So, y'know, generalizing is fun!

GasBandit

GasBandit

The country's capital main function is not tourism.
Maybe not it's main function, but still the reason it doesn't look like the picture I posted. Oh, and graft helps too, I suppose.

Dave

Dave

Oh well. It's a moot point anyway. Paco's gone, man.

And WTF is up with this asshole naming the dog Paco. Racist bastard.

Morphine

Morphine

Yeah, I know they can, but you see the U.S. is really the only country that treats pets like people with all these ridiculous things like clothes for dogs, professional grooming, brushing their teeth everyday, and yes microchipping.

You know what my parents dogs get fed in Poland? Bones and leftovers. You know where they sleep? Outside in the summer and in the garage during the winter. A lot of people do this all over the world, and only take the dog to the vet for rabies vaccinations once every three years.

I would not have gone to seek out the "owners" of this dog unless it had a collar. You can also feel the microchip under their skin.

---------- Post added at 01:56 PM ---------- Previous post was at 01:53 PM ----------

You forgot to mention that its the most populous city in the world. I didn't say what I said to suggest that Mexicans don't treat dogs like people because they can't afford it. I'm saying that culturally, the US is the only country that treats cats and dogs like they're little people...instead of cats and dogs.

That said, I love my dog, but I laugh and continue to laugh when my vet tells me to brush his teeth and put a sweater on him in the wintertime. He's a fucking dog![/QUOTE]

Yeah, well, dogs get cold too y'know?

If you have a long-thick-haired dog in a cold country, that's fine, but if it's a dog that was not bred to be in such environments you SHOULD put a sweater on him, not because you think he's a "little person" but because he's a living being that gets cold and gets sick.

And a LOT of people in Mexico are ridiculous about their pets too and put clothes on them all year long and even paint their nails and stuff.

Calleja

Calleja

The country's capital main function is not tourism.
Maybe not it's main function, but still the reason it doesn't look like the picture I posted. Oh, and graft helps too, I suppose.[/QUOTE]

I think you're overestimating the impact tourism has down here. The only places that rely heavily enough on tourism to be designed FOR IT are places BUILT for it like Cancun. Mexico City has been around, literally, since 1520 (if we ignore the pre-colombian Tenochtitlán and consider it the city's predecessor and not it's first incarnation). It's the way it is because it's a major city with a fuck ton of industries that have nothing to do with tourism. It does not look like it does because they wanted to pretty it up for foreigners, you trolling nincompoop.

Dave

Dave

I can hear the giggling all the way in Nebraska and it's coming from a radio station in Texas.

Chibibar

when I ask about microchipping, it is mainly cause it doesn't seem to be a normal practice in other country (at least in Asia. heck, some place they are food) It is good to know that animal in Mexico are microchip (at least some say they are) I'm sure the guy took it to the vet and check for microchip. I know my vet can check the chip so I'm sure the vet in Mexico did the same thing. (I'm assuming)

but it is sad that the poor dog is lost somewhere in luggage :(

Calleja

Calleja

Will you guys stop thinking of a country with 150+ million people as a single unit? There are people in Mexico who hate dogs and kick them and torture them. There are people in Mexico who love dogs and adopt 45 of them and feed, clothe and pamper them. There are people in Mexico who don't speak Spanish. There are people in Mexico who know 25 different languages fluently.

There are chipped dogs and there are unchipped dogs. Cause its a whole freaking country!!!

Chibibar

Will you guys stop thinking of a country with 150+ million people as a single unit? There are people in Mexico who hate dogs and kick them and torture them. There are people in Mexico who love dogs and adopt 45 of them and feed, clothe and pamper them. There are people in Mexico who don't speak Spanish. There are people in Mexico who know 25 different languages fluently.

There are chipped dogs and there are unchipped dogs. Cause its a whole freaking country!!!
Hey, when you (the general you not you personally) stop thinking China as a single country too? ;) we have over 2 BILLION people and speak over 100 dialect of Chinese which don't relate to each other (there is a "central" language but many sub dialect)

It is easy to think of other country as a single unit as people of other country think U.S. as a single country.

Calleja

Calleja

...I think you just exaggerated the population there by almost double, dude. Last census showed a bit over a billion, not two. Consider there are 6 billion people on Earth, you want a THIRD to be Chinese? :p

Chibibar

...I think you just exaggerated the population there by almost double, dude. Last census showed a bit over a billion, not two. Consider there are 6 billion people on Earth, you want a THIRD to be Chinese? :p
Sure why not ;) it is 1.3 billion as of 2008.

but still larger than 150million in Mexico ;) and people still think China as a single country and thus not "odd" to think Mexico as a single country.

Edit: of course I would like to think there might be 2 billion Chinese on the planet from different country. We do spread out pretty good.

Dave

Dave

We do spread out pretty good.
The Chinese girls I knew sure did!

*BAM*!

GasBandit

GasBandit

Calleja

Calleja

Wha? Did you do that picture yourself?

Everything in between the borders is Mexico, who the hell ever said it wasn't?

---------- Post added at 02:16 PM ---------- Previous post was at 02:05 PM ----------

but still larger than 150million in Mexico ;) and people still think China as a single country and thus not "odd" to think Mexico as a single country.

Edit: of course I would like to think there might be 2 billion Chinese on the planet from different country. We do spread out pretty good.[/QUOTE]

Uh.. I think you're underestimating just how staggeringly big a number a billion is. You will not even live a MILLION hours, dude. Not unless you live to be like 115.

So you want tot hink there are 700 million chinese abroad apart from the 1.3 billion still in the country.

The entire CONTINENT of America has something like 900 million. That's all the people from Canada to Argentina, the entire continent.

Until every third person I see is Chinese, I think your math is a bit off.

GasBandit

GasBandit

So, this is mexico -

and this, within view of your gleaming metropolis...

Seems the grey areas on this map are either Mexico city, or places where the government doesn't hold enough sway to poll.

Chibibar

Wha? Did you do that picture yourself?

Everything in between the borders is Mexico, who the hell ever said it wasn't?

---------- Post added at 02:16 PM ---------- Previous post was at 02:05 PM ----------

Edit: of course I would like to think there might be 2 billion Chinese on the planet from different country. We do spread out pretty good.
Uh.. I think you're underestimating just how staggeringly big a number a billion is. You will not even live a MILLION hours, dude. Not unless you live to be like 115.

So you want tot hink there are 700 million chinese abroad apart from the 1.3 billion still in the country.

The entire CONTINENT of America has something like 900 million. That's all the people from Canada to Argentina, the entire continent.

Until every third person I see is Chinese, I think your math is a bit off.[/QUOTE]

let me correct myself. Change Chinese to Asian.

Most of Chinese are from Asian descent, but with cross breeding and such (with Non Asian and African American) you get a nice mixture of people.

But I can believe there are 2 billion of Asian descent, but for sure about 1.3 Billion are Chinese :) (according to the 2008 census)

Calleja

Calleja

That first one is Ciudad Juarez.. which is literally like a war zone these days... not precisely a fair picture of the rest of the country.

And that second pic is probably Costa Rica, notice the palm trees.. which you wouldn't find in the non-tropical, quite high in altitude Mexico City. (and your source, http://kdeleon92.wikispaces.com/Pobreza+nivel+mundial, has pics from africa, manila and some other places, but no mention of that pic being Mexico)

But yes, if you look you'll find awful, awful places in Mexico. As I could find awful, awful trailer parks or something in the US. That does not mean that Mexico is nothing but a backwards country, just like not all of the US is a cesspool of bigotry.

Chibibar

But, we digress from the main topic of you saying that we shouldn't treat Mexico as one country (hence Chaz's post) cause there are 150 million people in it. I just state that people consider China as one country with 2 billion (incorrectly stated which you have correct me. it is around 1.3 billion. 1.4 billion by 2010 projection/studies no hard numbers yet)

So it is normal to think Mexico as a single country (since it is) but it has different aspect of it just like any other country. You have the good side, ok side, bad side, and ugly side.

Calleja

Calleja

I never said you shouldn't consider it a single country, that'd be stupid, it IS a single country. I said you should not consider it a single unit with one way of doing things, one single mind set about dogs and microchipping them.

Your example was still flawed cause I don't think anyone thinks every person in China is the same.. quite the contrary, china is famous worldwide precisely for being extremely numerous.

GasBandit

GasBandit

quite the contrary, china is famous worldwide precisely for being extremely numerous.
Numerous does not mean distinct.

Chibibar

I never said you shouldn't consider it a single country, that'd be stupid, it IS a single country. I said you should not consider it a single unit with one way of doing things, one single mind set about dogs and microchipping them.

Your example was still flawed cause I don't think anyone thinks every person in China is the same.. quite the contrary, china is famous worldwide precisely for being extremely numerous.
You don't think that, but most people think the whole of China eats dogs, believe in communist, backward people blah blah blah.. you get the idea.

MindDetective

MindDetective

A fascinating photoshop, that one.

GasBandit

GasBandit

A fascinating photoshop, that one.
I'm still trying to pick out which one is the origin of the copypasted face. I'm pretty sure it's gotta be one of the guys in the front row, because they aren't pixelated from scaling up a smaller face...

RealBigNuke

Argh. Must not fly off handle at troll, most not fly off handle at troll, must not fly off handle at... WARGHARBGLE :Leyla:

http://www.snopes.com/photos/architecture/detroit.asp

For the love of fucking humanity. Really man? Like, really really? Manila is within view of Mexico City? Get a clue.

America, fuck yeah.

Calleja

Calleja

Wait, so are you trying to imply that if you look specifically for them, you could find pictures of slums from ANYWHERE?! Oh my god, it's almost as if using pictures to represent how poor a country is is incredibly stupid!! :shocked:

GasBandit

GasBandit

Hm, the website I got it from claimed it was a slum in mexico.

But you got one thing straight... Detroit ain't part of America any more. We are damn ready to disown that mess. Only problem is Canada doesn't want it either.

At least mexican slums look like human life still exists. Detroit is practically post-human.

Finally, the human menace is dealt with and nature begins to reclaim the evidence of their existence!

ThatGrinningIdiot!

ThatGrinningIdiot!

Those pictures remind of me home! :)
:(

Well, my house is built well, it's clean, and has nice view of the bay. Charming, really. The rest of this reservation ain't so lucky.