[Question] What Archtype Do You Usually Prefer?

What Archetype Do You Prefer?

• The Protector (The Sword/Board Warrior, The Paladin, The Tank)

Votes: 6 17.6%
  • The Healer (Priests, Druids, Shaman etc)

Votes: 4 11.8%
  • The Ranged Damage Dealer (The Archer, The Mage/Wizard)

Votes: 10 29.4%
  • The Sneaky Type (Thief/Rogue)

Votes: 9 26.5%
  • The Upclose Damage Dealer (Berzerker, Brawler)

Votes: 5 14.7%

• Total voters
So I'm playing Kingdom of Amalur after just having played Skyrim and in the games thread I noticed a few different opinions on how people prefer to play their archtypes. Now obviously this isn't some new revelation as I've played RPGs since paper D&D but I was generally curious what the general numbers would look like around here on a nice little poll.

Personally I've bounced between the Protector (Mostly played a Prot Paladin in WoW for many many years) and the Upclose Damage Dealer (I love huge weapons and killing many things with a single swing etc). I've never been one for the sneaky style or Cloth Cannons but I can definitely see the appeal for those types of classes. Funnily enough my sister tended to play those types while I soaked up the damage meant for her face. It's fun though, tons of armor, facing the beasts/baddies head on. Love the thrill of walking into a dungeon and just daring anything to come at me.

I usually go Sword and Board, but my all time favorite class is Mastermind from City of Heroes. You wanna fuck with me? Fine. Fight my 6 laser wielding robots and then we'll talk. If more games had pet classes like that, it's all I'd ever play.

I tend to like Hybrids in MMOs, more so the tank/healer hybrids(The older school form of hybrid such as being able to off tank and off heal in the same spec.)

Single player I will play whatever class, though game mechanics/lore specifics can alter what I play from game to game.

For the purpose of your polls I will select healer as most of the classes that draw my interest have some sort of healing component.

I usually go Sword and Board, but my all time favorite class is Mastermind from City of Heroes. You wanna fuck with me? Fine. Fight my 6 laser wielding robots and then we'll talk. If more games had pet classes like that, it's all I'd ever play.
This. I love playing minion-master characters.

Almost always an archer, but lately I've found myself seduced into the warrior category when it allows me to duel wield. I did try a healer once during a tabletop RPG, but I find it doesn't fit my style of play.

Cajungal

Staff member
When I played WoW I was usually a rogue or a warlock. In the Elder Scrolls games I love using a bow and a dagger or short sword. I played Bards mostly when I played D&D for a very short time. That was fun. Brought my uke along.

I had a hard time picking one. That's because I prefer to play the sort of character who is fairly self-sufficient and needs the least gear in order to succeed. In Morrowind, I tried to play a character who could still be effective even without equipment. Maxed unarmed combat, picking, etc. In the above survey, I picked Rogue, but Rogue only wins out over Ranged by about a 55/45 margin. Really in most campaigns I tried to pick someone who was more like a Bard. I enjoy playing a character who makes everyone else better by being there (and contributing), but who can get by on his own if need be.

--Patrick

I find that I've enjoyed stealthy builds in both Fallout 3/NV and TES games, but that may be because Bethesda made stealth quite overpowered.

In TF2 my most played (and enjoyed) classes are Medic and Engineer, so I suppose that indicates I'm better in support roles.

Therefore, a front-line assault or tank type character seems to be the least preferable for me.

In video games, I tend toward the direct damage dealer. I am comfortable in that role in D&D as well, but also found that I enjoy the ranged as well. Not so much stealth based, but sometimes I do enjoy sitting back and raining death. :trolol:

I like playing a class that let's me run up and tear enemies a new asshole in a Hulk-like rage.

So yeah, something like a berserker/scrapper.

I tend to go for the more magic castery types. In MMOs I'll almost always choose a support class, usually healer. I love the idea of purely control and debuff classes, like City of Heroes had, but they require a party to pretty much do anything and most people don't have the patience for that. As such, they're kind of being phased out.

As for single player RPGs, I tend to go for the high DPS squishy types of classes. My favorite types of classes in most games, hell even races in RTS's, are the ones that are difficult to master, but once you do, they become super powerful.

Yeah in CoH I played a Scrapper. I liked solo play in that game. If I grouped I was usually right behind the tank or sometimes I was the tank.

My main hero in CoH was an Illusion controller. I could lock down entire groups of enemies and let the party go to town.

I fucking miss CoH. Yeah, it could get monotonous. But God, I loved creating new characters and fighting in groups.

I don't have the patience to be sneaky or subtle. Never been a fan of playing a mage. Honestly never tried playing a healer. So for me, I much prefer being the direct action guy. The tank or whatever.

The character creation was incredible! I would sit and play with that when I was bored just to see what I could make.
Glad to see I wasn't the only one who did that! That has been one of the best character customizers I've ever seen. I just wish that sort of game play didn't leave me bored after a month.

It depends a lot on the type of game. I played a paladin in EverQuest and served as a decent trash offtank and raid main assist. In the Diablo series of games, though, I've always preferred the ranged archer types (Amazon, Demon Hunter, etc.) In WoW, I like the up-close melee fighter. My top three are ret paladin, ww monk, and enh shaman. Casters in general I have trouble with, especially needing to be stationary while casting.

GasBandit

Staff member
In fantasy rpgs I tend to be a sword and board tank, though I often do try out casters, too, once I've got my main established. The exception was Everquest - I played on the PvP server and tanks were just walking ATMs for naked casters there, so I ended up mostly playing a druid.

I mostly role-play physical ranged attacks. Rangers, Hunters, Bow-equipped Rogues. In D&D I'll play sword and board a bit, especially if I play more than one character in the campaign.

stealth shmealth. Either barbarian/berserker, or cloth/glass (stereotypes may vary) cannon mage.

For some reason, mostly just aesthetic I guess, I'm not a fan of rangers - though mechanically in computer games rangers and warlock/wizard damage types tend to be fairly similar.

1. Minion Overlord (Diablo Necromancer etc)
2. Damage/controller mage
3. Barbarian/Noble Warrior.

doomdragon6

Staff member
Back in the day it was ALWAYS rogues and thieves.

Nowadays, I usually go for control / widespread damage / effects roles (so in D&D settings, typically a wizard).

I like being able to target and hit as many enemies as possible while doing as much damage as possible. If I can paralyze or freeze or anything like that, all the better.

I think the very first time I played this way was in City of Heroes as an Energy Blaster, choosing powers with a wide range over single hit attacks.

In D&D, I'd choose wizard over Sorcerer (and when I did go Sorcerer, I still picked multi-target attacks, even if it was only 2.)

In Dragon Age, I loved playing the Mage with cone AOEs.

Mine is actually a tie between protector and healer, damage dealing classes bore the crap out of me, I need to have more to do than roll my face and try to get high numbers. I kind of loved 4th edition paladins. Mine was awesome.

Typically magic types for me.
When I played WoW, I started with a hunter and got her up to 60 (max at the time) and loved the hell out of that class. When I went back to WoW, I had no idea how to play a hunter anymore and instead leveled a warlock and a priest instead. LOVED them and played those classes better than I ever played my hunter. I tried out all of the other classes but could never get into them.
When I picked up Diablo 3, I played a Wizard. Surprisingly I tried out a Barbarian later on, just for fun, and I wasn't expecting much since I'm terrible with tank-type classes, but holy hell is she a lot of fun! Heavy/bulky characters are typically not fun for me to play.

I'll either do melee badass or ranged fighter---although I typically prefer physical ranged over magical ranged (although that sometimes depends on the game). In Asheron's call I played an Unarmed combat PvPer, in Dark Age of Camelot, my main was a Troll berserker and a Runemaster for the PvP server--in WoW I played a hunter, in games like Fallout 1/2/3/NV I played melee types. In Mechwarrior games, I liked closer up mech builds with Ultra AC20s or LBX cannons.

In D&D I usually did clerics. Some of that bleed over into my WOW days when I liked to just run around on my priest handing out buffs.

These days I branch out a bit more and just go for whatever I'm feeling at the time. In Oblivion I had an archer going. In DA:O my main was a sword and shield tank. Pathfinder good ol' Giles Greengem is a blaster sorcerer.

I think my main thing is that I just never play humans.