What Dungeon Crawler Should I Play?

doomdragon6

Staff member
So, I just got done playing Evoland, which is that game that progresses in videogame technology as you go. (Starting at quiet gameboy level to nicer hd graphics with music.)

Anyway, there's a stage that parodies Dungeon Crawler style games, and I think it's mostly parodying Diablo.

Thing is, while playing this parody, it reminded me how much I loved playing Dungeon Crawlers back in the day, so I'm looking to get into one again.

I'd actually prefer a fairly short one so I can actually finish it, but whatever is fine. It doesn't even have to be a brand new one; just anything that's considered fun.

I really enjoyed a game called Darkstone a LONG time ago, and I did enjoy Diablo II quite a bit, but I don't think it's for me anymore. I remember playing Dungeon Siege and not caring for it a whole lot. And, while not strictly a Dungeon Crawler, I think Dragon Age: Origins fits well enough that I might consider it again.

So yeah, any suggestions? Aside from Diablo III, I seriously have no idea what dungeon crawlers have come out in the last few years.

Torchlight 1 is cheap, Torchlight II is better (but more expensive), and Path of Exile is more like a MMORPG Dungeon Crawler but free.

I would say to start with Torchlight (Available for $20 as a direct download or for $15 if you are a member of GOG and missed the "get it for free" promotion back in June).
You can also start with Path of Exile, which is $0, but I am concerned the tech tree may be too overwhelming for you if you are just getting back into crawlers, which is why I suggest Torchlight first.

--Patrick

doomdragon6

Staff member
Actually, that tech tree looks pretty bitchin'. Based on the videos I think I might enjoy that more. Plus free is good, so I may actually give that one a shot. Any other recommendations?

On the FTP end, if you like Marvel, the Marvel Superheroes game has kind of come into it's own since release. I know I pimp it often, but it really is a good game nowadays.
There's also the Incredible Adventures of Van Helsing. It's OK, but not the greatest.
Obviously, there's the original Diablo and Diablo 2 which, I think still hold up really well. I still probably play D2 more than I played D3. They are available electronically on the Blizzard store.
My main plug, however, is going to be for Titan Quest. It is such a good game that got overlooked for the most part, and it goes on sale quite often on Steam.

figmentPez

Staff member
My main plug, however, is going to be for Titan Quest. It is such a good game that got overlooked for the most part, and it goes on sale quite often on Steam.
Titan Quest is fantastic. I have an extra Steam key from a Humble Bundle, but it's only the base game without the expansion.

GasBandit

Staff member
I got Torchlight 2, and granted I'm not very far into it, but it feels oversimplified. I feel like I don't even need to look at the screen to play it.

Yeah hardest mode is the best. Even then it is not the hardest of the ARPGs but you have to start paying attention hehe