What is the worst part of your favorite shows?

The worst part of many of my favorite TV shows was when they were abruptly cancelled early.

It was particularly bad back in the 90s since it was pre-internet and I would rarely find out what was going on. Were they delayed? Were they cancelled? Why would they cancel something which I personally found to be amazing.
Shows like Earth 2 and Space above and beyond.

Which I admit might not hold up so well with a repeat viewing now, but at the time I loved them.

Battlestar Galactica: I adored this show. I was with it every episode. Even in the seasons people don't like that much, 3 and 4, I was hooked. There were so many great characters and scenes, and there was build-up to something big to be revealed at the end.

And then that ending ... that awful, insulting, out of character, nonsensical, no explanations ending ... That was the worst thing. I cannot trust again.

GasBandit

Staff member
Parks and Rec: How Leslie forgot Mark's park plans when they were finally making leeway on the park, that never made sense to me.
How often Leslie regresses into an obsessive, manipulative power-drunk bulldozer. She's deaf to her constituency and the advice of everyone around her, absolutely has to have her way no matter the cost, and doesn't hesitate to abuse her position whenever it is convenient. IMO she's actually less suited to government work than Ron Swanson.

Dave

Staff member
Shows that are good but have formula.

House - Let's try everything illegal and then in the last five minutes come up with the answer due to an offhand comment someone makes. (And yes, I've seen the gif.)

Castle - Episodes are all light-hearted until nearing the end of the season when things get serious. Castle will finally figure it all out. Pro-tip: It's almost always the first person they speak with who is not a suspect.

Shows that are good but have formula.

House - Let's try everything illegal and then in the last five minutes come up with the answer due to an offhand comment someone makes. (And yes, I've seen the gif.)

Castle - Episodes are all light-hearted until nearing the end of the season when things get serious. Castle will finally figure it all out. Pro-tip: It's almost always the first person they speak with who is not a suspect.
I find it's almost always not the first person they talk to, but the second or third person.

Transformers: How Blitzwing just disappeared in season 3, especially since it was implied he'd become an Autobot and what-not.

Phineas and Ferb: I wouldn't say a large chunk, but a good chunk of the musical numbers. Some of them just feel like filler.

fade

Staff member
Any time the protagonists--or hell, the antagonists--seem to be dumber than your average brick.

Any time the plot gets mangled in favor of the protagonist's or the sidekick's titular special ability.

Hackers.

High IQ socially inept characters.

The modern Doctor Who series. Love and Monsters and Fear Her. Those episodes can just fuck off and die.

I will give one plus to Love and Monsters in that it introduced me to Mr. Blue Sky by ELO.

Game of Thrones -- a totally watchable show on its own, but so, so inferior to the books, and often in very stupid/preventable ways. I can pretty much count on spending April-June of next year completely butthurt.

I had to think hard about this, because I'll just stop watching a show if it becomes to terrible, and certainly wouldn't list it as a favorite if I stop watching because it becomes dumb. So this has to be something I dislike, but is not enough to detract me from the show as a whole.

Arrow: Laurel.

Game of Thrones -- a totally watchable show on its own, but so, so inferior to the books, and often in very stupid/preventable ways. I can pretty much count on spending April-June of next year completely butthurt.

I get pissed off at the battle scenes, or lack there of. I realize big battles are expensive, but man I hated the cop outs where people get knocked out and it's over.

I get pissed off at the battle scenes, or lack there of. I realize big battles are expensive, but man I hated the cop outs where people get knocked out and it's over.
Particularly the one where HALF MAN was involved. It made him look like a little bitch.

Since the first season, they've delivered in spades with huge, intricate action sequences. See: Blackwater, the fight at the Wall this year, The Mountain and the Viper, Brienne and The Hound, I think I'm forgetting something big from Season 3, but yeah. Once they were huge hits out of the gate, the later seasons had plenty of dough to follow through on things.