Whats for Dinner?

What you need is a good recipe for the style of chili you like.
I don't know about that. Chili is an improvisational art form. You just need to gather up some tasty ingredients, don't worry overly much about the ratios, combine and eat (even better after sitting in the fridge a day, though).

I usually brown some ground beef, add onions, green peppers, garlic, and chilis (jalapeno and serrano usually) and saute for a few minutes. Toss that into a pot of stewed tomatoes*, add beans (usually kidney, Great Northern, and black), maybe some corn (off the cob or frozen, never canned) and a couple chipotles (sooo tasty). Spice it up with chili powder, cumin, salt, pepper. Let it bubble for a while, then eat.

*I cheat using tomato cocktails sometimes (V8, store brands, or homemade), but it's easy enough just to stew some tomatoes if you have time.

---------- Post added at 11:31 AM ---------- Previous post was at 11:28 AM ----------

Last night I found an awesome use for leftover grilled hamburgers. I made a pizza using a combo of mustard, mayo, and ketchup for the sauce. Then spread sliced pickles and red onion and chunked-up burger on that. Topped with a mix of cheddar and mozzerella. Way better than the usual "cheeseburger pizza" that's just a regular pizza topped with hamburger. This will definitely become a mainstay, along with my bratwurst and sauerkraut pizza.

Boyfriend made some REALLY AWESOME spaghetti sauce all day yesterday... and whether he wants it or not, WE ARE HAVING SPAGHETTI AGAIN TONIGHT!!!!

YOU HEAR ME???
Another thing to do with leftover spaghetti sauce (if it's home-made and not Ragu) is sear some chicken breasts, then throw them in it and simmer 20 or 30 minutes. voila, chicken cacciatore...ish :)

If I want to make chili and I don't have a lot of time, I do this.

take 1lb ground beef. seasoned with cumin, chili powder, salt, pepper, garlic powder, and cayenne powder, brown it, drain it, set aside. In the same pan, saute a medium sized onion. Throw the meat back in. Add a can of Ro-tel chili fixins, one can of diced stewed tomatoes, 2-3 tablespoons of tomato paste, and a big can of Ranch-style beans. Bring this to a boil. Taste, and add more seasonings until it tastes like you want it.

If I have more time, I do pretty much what Jake does. I occasionally put a beer in the mix. I also like to make it with bite-sized pieces of chuck or another cheap roast instead of ground beef. I like to take the whole, peeled canned tomatoes and smash them a bit and broil them until slightly carmelized and add those to the mix. There's a ton of things you can do.

Make a simple batch first, and then experiment from there.

---------- Post added at 11:42 AM ---------- Previous post was at 11:40 AM ----------

Boyfriend made some REALLY AWESOME spaghetti sauce all day yesterday... and whether he wants it or not, WE ARE HAVING SPAGHETTI AGAIN TONIGHT!!!!

YOU HEAR ME???
Another thing to do with leftover spaghetti sauce (if it's home-made and not Ragu) is sear some chicken breasts, then throw them in it and simmer 20 or 30 minutes. voila, chicken cacciatore...ish :)[/QUOTE]

Or make a quick white sauce and mix the two, add a splash of vodka, and serve with penne. Yum!

North_Ranger

Staff member
Last night I found an awesome use for leftover grilled hamburgers. I made a pizza using a combo of mustard, mayo, and ketchup for the sauce. Then spread sliced pickles and red onion and chunked-up burger on that. Topped with a mix of cheddar and mozzerella. Way better than the usual "cheeseburger pizza" that's just a regular pizza topped with hamburger. This will definitely become a mainstay, along with my bratwurst and sauerkraut pizza.
This... is... EPIC!

Quick, make a new batch and post it online! Lolcats need cheezburger pizzas!

This... is... EPIC!

Quick, make a new batch and post it online! Lolcats need cheezburger pizzas![/QUOTE]
I'll probably add some bacon next time. That will kick it into high gear.

R

rabbitgod

I think I'm having Tandoori. It's out of a box though so I'm only nominally excited.

I'm going to Las Vegas tomorrow so I don't really feel like cleaning up or having leftovers.

doomdragon6

Staff member
New dinner plans!

Making some Mac 'n Cheese, Mashed Potatoes, and Peas for me 'n the GF.

It'd almost sound romantic, except for how those things are all pre-packaged.

New dinner plans!

Making some Mac 'n Cheese, Mashed Potatoes, and Peas for me 'n the GF.

It'd almost sound romantic, except for how those things are all pre-packaged.
:nono:

Bag of Potatoes, Salt, Pepper, Milk and Butter. That's all it takes, easiest thing in the world. You can even skip on the Pepper.

chili from scratch is freaking easy as pie. You don't need any special cooking skills..just plenty of the correct ingredients.

Then again, I'm from Texas...chili here is a staple food.
Or Mississippi. I'm making up some Turkey Sausage w/ Red Beans and Rice tonight.

W

Wasabi Poptart

What you need is a good recipe for the style of chili you like.
I don't know about that. Chili is an improvisational art form. You just need to gather up some tasty ingredients, don't worry overly much about the ratios, combine and eat (even better after sitting in the fridge a day, though).[/QUOTE]

I meant that a recipe can give you a place to start if you haven't made it before. I assumed everyone plays around with recipes until it is just what they want.

Damn it now I want the weather to cool off again so I can make another pot of chili.

Cajungal

Staff member
Decided against adding tuna to my salad. It's just lettuce and avocado with a banana smoothie on the side.

Good news everyone!

Class was canceled tonight so I got to go home for dinner. We had kielbasa and sauerkraut, fried potatoes, and broccoli and cauliflower. It was very yummy.

I'll be heading to a new Japanese restaurant that opened outside of my apartment complex with my girlfriend and one of my friends from back in the States. I have high hopes for awesomeness.

Tonight I had bean and cheese burritos. I am hoping to go to Red Lobster for their endless shrimp for tomorrow nights dinner but I don't if I will be able to make it.

Tonight it was Kraft Dinner with TWO cheese packets.
It was CHEESY AS BALLS. I couldn't finish it.

Normally I eat healthier than this I swear.

Good news everyone!

Class was canceled tonight so I got to go home for dinner. We had kielbasa and sauerkraut, fried potatoes, and broccoli and cauliflower. It was very yummy.
I think you should open every post of yours from now on with that "Good news everyone!"

Yep. I do. :uhhuh:

Well, even though I missed the thread in time for last night's dinner, tonight's dinner will be meatloaf with roasted squash (one of the orange fleshed varieties, can't remember which off the top of my head). Although... I may skip the squash (I want to try it without any other flavors getting in the way) and just go with the open-faced meatloaf sandwiches with the meatloaf, mashed potatoes, toasted sourdough bread, and homemade beef gravy.

Plus, I need to haul my bird carcasses out of the freezer and make chicken stock, and clean out the veggie drawer so I can use it as a "humidity controlled space" for a hard cheese I want to attempt this weekend (probably just a cheddar, but possibly a gouda), and I plan on making some pumpkin butter, possibly a pear butter, and a pumpkin pie from scratch. Going to be another busy cooking weekend for me.

Ok, so we STILL haven't gone to Mellow Mushroom because the empty shopping center the restaurant just opened in is ALWAYS FREAKING FULL...

But today, we will be going at 4:00 to hopefully beat the feeding frenzy. WE WILL GET PIZZA!!!!

grilled ham tonight, Chuck E Cheeze tomorrow (for the little one's birthday), sunday is beef tips and mushroom sauce.

Monday, i'm going to try a chicken and broccoli braid to work any kinks out before our halloween party.

C

Chazwozel

grilled ham tonight, Chuck E Cheeze tomorrow (for the little one's birthday), sunday is beef tips and mushroom sauce.

Monday, i'm going to try a chicken and broccoli braid to work any kinks out before our halloween party.
You, my friend, are the king of pallets.

I made porkchops with asparagus and salad for my girlfriend tonight (first time I've cooked for her). It went pretty well.

Chicken cordon bleu, and a side salad. A peach for desert.

(I wish I could say I always ate this healthy!)