Whats for Dinner?

L

Lally

Leftover Indian food: chicken, goat, rice, and roti... om nom nom... (homemade, natch)

Cajungal

Staff member
Booooo, didn't have time to cook.. was catching up with a friend all afternoon and early evening. So I had an Inga's sub... best sub in town. Pastrami and swiss with lettuce, tomato, pickles, and honey mustard with dill chips and a lemonade. Very good but I really had my heart set on those red beans.

R

rabbitgod

I made a panino last night. Fontina, baby spinach, prosciutto, a little pepper. I don't have one of those clamping grills but it turned out amazing anyway. I should have taken a picture.
That sounds really good, and thank you for not incorrectly pluralizing it. It's a huge pet peeve of mine when people say they "ate a panini." You can eat one panino, or you can eat multiple panini! :frusty:[/QUOTE]

And you are welcome since I get frustrated about that too.

Now technically I made panini since I made one for my wife as well, but I like to get the singular out there when I can. Also, who cares what my wife had! She hasn't made me a pie in months!

Now, tonight we had grilled chicken with a honeydew salsa. The salsa had homegrown serranos so that made it extra tasty since it had all our hard gardening work in it.

Also we had a bottle of Albero, which is quite good. Too all the Spaniards out there, you guys make some badass wine, flat or sparkling.

Cajungal

Staff member
Ok I have a question. I cook it sometimes but have not perfected it. How do you keep it from turning into rice-cement? I only succeed about 3/4 of the time and it's mostly luck. :p

R

rabbitgod

Ok I have a question. I cook it sometimes but have not perfected it. How do you keep it from turning into rice-cement? I only succeed about 3/4 of the time and it's mostly luck. :p
I stir gently but constantly. I haven't made it in over a year though so I don't have much else.

R

rabbitgod

Try folding it as well. Getting the rice off the bottom might help, if you aren't already trying that.

Cajungal

Staff member
Tried that, rabbit, and NR, I asked you originally, but anyone who has something helpful to say can chime in.

I think I might be making too much at once, for one thing..

North_Ranger

Staff member
Let's see now... I just use regular Uncle Ben's... put some curry in the water to spice it up (and give it a nice yellow hue). Also, I don't mix the ingredients dry. I let the chicken stew for a while in 4% cooking cream. I don't know if you have that in the States... It's not sour cream or whipped cream, but a kind of, I dunno, instant sauce if you wish. I mix the rice and the stew, and when I serve it's more like a thick stew.

Plus, it's quite easy to warm up if you eat it later. The cream doesn't let it dry up.

North_Ranger

Staff member
*shrugs*

I follow the KISS school of thought: Keep It Simple, Stupid.

What I make most often:
- Chicken risotto
- Pasta carbonara (with either chicken or bacon)
- Pasta bolognese Finnish style (essentially spaghetti and ground beef sauce)
- Sandwiches
- Homemade pizza
- Canned soups (spinach soup or pea soup usually)

[STRIKE]At the risk of starting a flame war...[/STRIKE]
I had steak.

If you don't want to shit in the dinner table, don't crouch over it with your pants down.

-NR

Cajungal

Staff member
*shrugs*

What I make most often:
- Chicken risotto
- Sandwiches
- Homemade pizza
I guess that's another way. I'd just never heard of it or considered it before.

---------- Post added at 09:33 PM ---------- Previous post was at 09:32 PM ----------

At the risk of starting a flame war...
I had steak.
:rofl:

Shego, if I had read your entry before I would have said to saute fresh mushrooms, melt a little butter, squeeze some lemon, and pour THAT over the chicken... but that's only because I hate hate hate cream of mushroom soup from a can.

North_Ranger

Staff member
*shrugs*

What I make most often:
- Chicken risotto
- Sandwiches
- Homemade pizza
I guess that's another way. I'd just never heard of it or considered it before.

---------- Post added at 09:33 PM ---------- Previous post was at 09:32 PM ----------

At the risk of starting a flame war...
I had steak.
:rofl:

Shego, if I had read your entry before I would have said to saute fresh mushrooms, melt a little butter, squeeze some lemon, and pour THAT over the chicken... but that's only because I hate hate hate cream of mushroom soup from a can.[/QUOTE]

Well, like I said it might be a Finnish/Nordic ingredient. I mean, I didn't find anything remotely like it when I spend a year in Ireland. Which meant dry risotto :(

Cajungal

Staff member
Interesting... I bet I could experiment with other things that are similar to it. Thanks for the input. :)

North_Ranger

Staff member
You know, I'm seriously considering setting up a thread full of Finnish-language YouTube videos to feed your apetite for my Finno-Ugric language :p

Cajungal

Staff member
Yay! Seriously, I loooove other languages. English is nice, but I looooove hearing different ones. And Finnish is so pretty. It's strong and kind of poetic at the same time.

North_Ranger

Staff member
If only I could find Vaari-vainaan kannel somewhere. If that song doesn't make you cry like a sad child, nothing will...

But alas, I need to hit the hay now. I'll seek out some YouTube videos for you tomorrow.

Until then...

Cajungal

Staff member
Finally got to make me some red beans. Although it won't be as good without cornbread...

Excuse the shabby housecleaning garb...

OMNOMNOM!

I wanted to make some kind of sausage and cabbage soup, but all I have is napa. So I'm going to whip up some kind of Asian-ish pork meatballs, chop up the napa, put those in some chicken broth with some other veggies and get creative with the seasoning.

No clue what to make for tonight, it's my GF's B-day though so a nice restaurant is most likely the order of the day....

good southern cookin last night:
Garlic and herb pork shoulder, cubed on top of white rice, smothered in brown gravy.
Collard greens on the side, cooked with bacon and homemade chicken stock, topped with Louisiana Hot Sauce. That shit's the bomb, yo.