Export thread

When I refer to barbecue, you imagine a sauce that is...

Fun Size

Fun Size

When I refer to barbecue, you imagine a sauce that is...

Frank

Frankie Williamson

Tomato, but I prefer vinegar based hot sauce.

Officer_Charon

Officer_Charon

Hrmmm... clicked "vinegar-based," but my vote wasn't tabulated. I call shenanigans! *grins*

Covar

Covar

When you refer to BBQ I imagine pulled pork with a vinegar dressing served with coleslaw and hushpuppies.

sixpackshaker

sixpackshaker

Now for the Tomato Based...

Kraft's brown ketchup and corn syrup?

or

Savory West Texas Style smokey goodness?

General Specific

General Specific

When you refer to BBQ I imagine pulled pork with a vinegar dressing served with coleslaw and hushpuppies.

:p

Fun Size

Fun Size

This thread makes me crave meat, which is rare.

By which I mean it doesn't happen very often.

Covar

Covar

This thread makes me crave meat, which is medium-rare.

By which I mean it doesn't happen very often.
FTFY

sixpackshaker

sixpackshaker

when i think of BBQ it is Brisket smoked over night, German Sausage, Pinto Beans (my best dish - they are really orgasmic) and Potato Salad. With a side of Shiner Bock.

Fun Size

Fun Size

Yeah, where are the vinegar votes?

sixpackshaker

sixpackshaker

well the first time I attempted to vote it did not work. I had to try again after a few minutes to get it to go through.

General Specific

General Specific

even the system knows that vinegar is not barbecue

GasBandit

GasBandit

Molasses, you heathens!

fade

fade

Mustard based. It's the only kind that exists. That other stuff is flavored ketchup.

High five, General Specific?

Covar

Covar

So when I make barbecue sauce the 3 main ingredients are tomato sauce/paste/ketchup, vinegar, and molasses. Where do I vote?

DarkAudit

DarkAudit

I'll take some of each, please. :sneaky:

Denbrought

Denbrought

I imagine no sauce, maybe some olive oil and unground salt but that's about it.

Cajungal

Cajungal

Molasses, you heathens!
My dad uses cane syrup for his. He makes the best bbq sauce. :)

drawn_inward

drawn_inward

I thought all BBQ sauces were tomato based? Pretty much what Covar has listed up there. I like my sauce smokey, but not too smokey(the meat should be smokey enough); hint of sweetness (molasses or honey - preferably molasses); and tangy from vinegar (apple cider); and spicy/hot, but not mouth-numbing.

Tinwhistler

Tinwhistler

I thought all BBQ sauces were tomato based? Pretty much what Covar has listed up there. I like my sauce smokey, but not too smokey(the meat should be smokey enough); hint of sweetness (molasses or honey - preferably molasses); and tangy from vinegar (apple cider); and spicy/hot, but not mouth-numbing.
Sounds about right to me.

sixpackshaker

sixpackshaker

http://www.stubbsbbq.com/

best damn sauce to be put in a bottle.

Fun Size

Fun Size

I was watching something on the Food Network and they started talking about a region where barbecue was always mustard based. I'd never heard of such a thing, but it looked damned good. After a bit of Googling, I came across vinegar based recipes with no tomato or mustard at all. Thought I'd see just how common this is amongst our crowd here.

---------- Post added at 09:04 PM ---------- Previous post was at 09:03 PM ----------

I've been dipping in the hot and spicy Stubb's lately, and it is damned good. Never had it before this.

General Specific

General Specific

Actually, SC has the mustard-based sauce on shredded pork. It's good, but NOT barbecue.

fade

fade

Actually, SC has the mustard-based sauce on shredded pork. It's good, but NOT barbecue.
Why not? I never knew any other definition of the word growing up. In SC, no one calls it "pulled pork". I never heard that term until I heard someone from out of state say it.

It's meat smoked over an open fire. That's pretty much the dictionary definition, silly Texan.

Gusto

Gusto

Molasses, you heathens!
:uhhuh:

General Specific

General Specific

Think about this, when you go into Applebee's or the like and order barbecue, what do you get? Beef w/ a red sauce.

fade

fade

That just means everyone outside of SC is wrong.

sixpackshaker

sixpackshaker

General Specific

General Specific

That just means everyone outside of SC is wrong.
I say again:

Andromache

wait, you mean you use BBQ sauce for cooking? Wow, I always wondered why it was right there in the store shelves, without any kind of black packaging.

Thread Necromancer

Thread Necromancer

When you say BBQ I think of my grill. And drinks.

Nothing I can't cook on my grill, sauced or otherwise after I've had enough drinks.

Andromache

haha, i see what you did there.

drawn_inward

drawn_inward

Stubbs is good, but not as good as Boomer-Q!
http://billysimsbbq.com/bbq-sauce-3-pack
It really is good!

Calleja

Calleja

You damn 'mericans argue over the silliest things.

Baerdog

Baerdog

My worldview allows me to accept and enjoy all barbecue, regardless of color or creed.

Cajungal

Cajungal

I, too, accept all paths to barbecue.

Bowielee

Bowielee

I still think there should be a molasses and brown sugar option.

Adam

Adammon

Oyster Sauce.

blotsfan

blotsfan

A sauce that should never be used, as hot sauce is always a better alternative.

Wasabi Poptart

Bourbon

DarkAudit

DarkAudit

Think about this, when you go into Applebee's or the like and order barbecue, what do you get? Beef w/ a red sauce.
You lost me at Applebee's. A corporate kitchen run by guys in lab coats do not know proper Q.

fade

fade

*cough*guys kicking a little round ball around in the grass*cough*

GasBandit

GasBandit

*cough*guys kicking a little round ball around in the grass*cough*[/QUOTE]

*cough*and not even calling it the proper name*cough*

Calleja

Calleja

Yeah, that's the ENTIRE world vs just you, though. So nyah nyah

GasBandit

GasBandit

Insects outnumber humanity 200,000,000 to 1. It doesn't mean they get to rename soccer either.

Baerdog

Baerdog

They'd probably call it bugball or something.

Calleja

Calleja

Insects outnumber humanity 200,000,000 to 1. It doesn't mean they get to rename soccer either.[/QUOTE]

No, no.. YOU renamed football, it was already football way before you decided to call it soccer. YOUR football is the one that has the wrong name... THEY BARELY EVEN USE THEIR FEET. You should call it "armored rugby, but gayer" or something. That's a catchy name, could shorten it to Argay.

Cajungal

Cajungal

:laugh: Argay.

Covar

Covar

Insects outnumber humanity 200,000,000 to 1. It doesn't mean they get to rename soccer either.[/QUOTE]

No, no.. YOU renamed football, it was already football way before you decided to call it soccer. YOUR football is the one that has the wrong name... THEY BARELY EVEN USE THEIR FEET. You should call it "armored rugby, but gayer" or something. That's a catchy name, could shorten it to Argay.[/QUOTE]

Americans weren't the ones to come up with Soccer. :p

North_Ranger

North_Ranger

No sauce, only a chunk of spice butter on top of a steak fresh from the grill, along with new potatoes and salad.

sixpackshaker

sixpackshaker

Grilling ain't Que.

HoboNinja

HoboNinja

When we make BBQ sauce we a tomato base, sometimes just tomato paste, sometimes we just use a bottle of store bought BBQ sauce, then you add brown sugar, Boetje's Mustard (Locally made mustard), and a bunch of other herbs and spices and delicious stuff.

Cajungal

Cajungal

Grilling ain't Que.
S'truth.