Where In the World Was ShegoSandiago?

Ok so this is going to be very lengthy and I'll try and get all the details straight the first time: (Note this is not a joke thread, I'm not fabricating information for some kind of "persona" I think by now most of the longer lasting members of the forum can tell the difference when I'm being serious and when I'm having some fun. So for this thread alone, I will be actively ignoring anyone who has issue with the authenticity of what I write here) (Also to be noted, I will be making this a BLOG as pointed out by Gasbandit may be useful in long term explanation for those who may miss this thread)

Alot has gone on and as I've spent more years around the people of Halforums (and the two forums before it) than anyonelse in my life with the exception of my brother. You all are my extended family. There are black sheep, the ones I like, the ones I love and the ones I wish I could slowly watch the life come out of your body as your eyes beg me to stop which only gives me the pleasure of making it last lon.... ok ok ok none of that (at least in this thread). I do feel like this is the one place I can really talk about things outside of my own brother and you all really were my home and family in all the ups and downs of my life: When my 7yr relationship ended, when I struck out on my own, during my blackout party days and my many attempts at making relationships work despite my constant self-sabotage. You all were there and now the biggest event in my life has taken place for nearly the past 2 years and I just kind of vanished. For that I am sorry. Here's what happened:

The Big News
About 2 years ago, some of you may remember that I worked for an international bank. The main source of business that we dealt with were international customers. Most of them very large accounts. I personally oversaw multi-million dollar accounts of many different members. As some of you know, multi-millionaires can be difficult people to deal with. It's usually why they work through employees. Some like a more hands on approach. One such customer was a long time customer before I ever worked for the bank. He was probably one of the largest accounts we had that wasn't dealt with directly by internal bank officers. He was a "hands-on" type of person with his money. He was also notoriously mean. He would chew out every employee he met, especially the women, and talked down to most the way you'd only think happens in TV and movies. He was transferred to my office fairly quickly when I began working there as I quickly developed a reputation at the bank and home office for being able to work with hard to work with customers. Sure enough, we hit it off in no time. As I worked with the bank longer, I moved into different positions but always carried a hand-full of customer accounts with me as a personal rep. So when I became a public relations officer, having high profile accounts as a personal rep just went hand in hand. I went out to many work dinners and even did some minor traveling. This is when I announced the big news here on Halforums.

I was ready to start talking about all these great things that were happening to me at work and my brother was getting ready for his own huge change in life, he was moving to Austin. As badly as I hated the area I lived in, I couldn't pass up how good work life was going for me. So I wished my brother well and dug into my job (which barely felt like work at this point). Now here's where things started getting interesting. I became very good friends with the mean account holder and I got to know his business much better. Through him I met new people everyday. It slowly started becoming obvious that his business was not 100% legit but nothing he was doing that was "off" was running through the bank so there was nothing I could do professionally about it. I started meeting more and more high profile people and really getting into my element. I brought the bank alot of very large accounts and life couldn't be better.

The Girl
I was never open about my sexuality at work because it was an absolutely negative thing in my line of work. Guys (customers) hit on girls(employees) at any job. Older men especially hit on women in this fashion. I was used to it for years, I worked as a bartender, my skin was adamantium. So it became fairly obvious what was going on when I began having work meetings and dinners with another client of the bank I had met through "mean customer". I was in the process of bringing his business over to the bank when the meetings were constantly him, his son, and myself. He'd constantly make remarks about his son's single status, his son would constantly ask me out on "work dinners" etc. I of course would politely turn down the advances constantly. The amusing part about it, was that he had more than one son that he tried this with. Apparently he was going down the list in hopes that someone would strike my eye.

Now I wasn't about to explain my sexuality to a customer MUCH less a 100% Mexican business man (You think anti-gay sentimentality is bad in Alabama, imagine an entire Nation of Alabama style anti-gay sentiment) so I was constantly trying to make up excuses. Well I'm not sure how he figured it out (I later found out she was the one who figured it out, without ever having met me by the way) but one meeting he brought his daughter. I was obviously attracted to her (You all haven't even seen the good pictures) and I did my best to play it off, but it turns out she was just the next one in line to try and sink me. She asked me out when her father was gone and I accepted. (this was around the second time I came and mentioned I had big news for the forum, all of this happened so soon after the first big news I figured I'd lump it together and explain it all). Now of course I realized that the reason we were brought together was so that her father could have a friend in the bank that was as close as family but I was enjoying her company anyway. It didn't hurt that she spent money on me like it had no meaning.

I've never been shy about being lavished on, I like it, I give plenty in return and I feel it has it's mutual benefits. Well things progressed really really fast. I was invited on multiple trips all over Mexico. I saw so many amazing places and people and experiences I was honestly overwhelmed (I grew up in a lower-middle class family, I struggled my whole life with finances, I never had a real vacation my entire life, I was completely swallowed up by this experience). The entire time this girl was amazing to me. I never had a want for anything, like, anything. She worshiped the ground I walked on (even though she was a very independent woman in her work life, she was very traditional in her love life, almost a little too subservient but I grew to understand it) and I was intoxicated by everything she offered me as a person.

Now understand, I'm not a stupid person. I knew the reason we got together and I openly accepted the set-up because it was beneficial to me without me really giving anything back but I did not expect the level of intensity she brought and it really did take me. I fell in love. With everything. How could I not? She opened my eyes to life in ways I'd never experienced in my very narrow lifestyle. I in exchange gave her something she'd never had as well. Someone who wanted to be with her and not as leverage to get to her father. I was genuinely only interested in her and even though the lifestyle was intoxicating, I would have dated her as a long term commitment if we had met in another venue. Her father was more interested in me (business wise) than I was in him. She realized that and it was just perfection between us. Though we had alot of explosive fights midway through the first 6 months (Two Latin women dating can have that result) we always found an intelligent and mutually agreeable decision in the end. Something I had never really experienced before. I either always gave in, or never did in the past.

***************************************************************************************
TLDR: I worked for a bank, got a promotion so I started working alot of overtime to the point I was never home to post/read the forums, met the girl of a very rich client, dated, did alot of traveling. Fell in love.
****************************************************************************************
Now why didn't I post in all that time? Well honestly I was simply overwhelmed with work (at first) to the point I'd literally come home, fall asleep, wake up, go to work etc. I was attending work breakfast, work lunches, work dinners, work parties etc etc etc. I was never "not working" and even when I was traveling I was working. I never got around to getting a casual laptop and I couldn't access anything non-work related on my work laptop. I realize this is a very shitty excuse for not being around but that's only the first half of this entire situation. I'm going to stop here because I've been writing for over and hour and need to take a quick break.

Last edited:
Yeah yeah, whatever, just tell us where you buried Waldo already.

So, are you rich now or what? Congrats i guess.

Edit: Oh, looks like you're not done with the post...

I think this is going to end up with her marrying the son, killing him, taking the inheritance and moving off to Belize Mexico with her new wife.

I had a feeling there was going to be responses before I was done. I'm glad I stopped where I did for now. (Last edit is "The Girl")

I'll explain more shortly. The reason I kept stopping and going was because editing this thing is a bitch and I kept losing large paragraphs.

At the end she's gonna announce that GGR Martin picked her to finish ASOIAF in case he dies because she's the only person in the world that can match him at torturing the reader with agonizingly slow delivery...

At the end she's gonna announce that GGR Martin picked her to finish ASOIAF in case he dies because she's the only person in the world that can match him at torturing the reader with agonizingly slow delivery...
Slow delivery? Holy hell I thought I was typing quickly!

I had a feeling there was going to be responses before I was done. I'm glad I stopped where I did for now. (Last edit is "The Girl")

I'll explain more shortly. The reason I kept stopping and going was because editing this thing is a bitch and I kept losing large paragraphs.
MS Word is your friend...

Slow delivery? Holy hell I thought I was typing quickly!
It's a forum, how fast you type is kinda irrelevant, putting up the story piece by piece is what kills us...[DOUBLEPOST=1396536053,1396535964][/DOUBLEPOST]
I actually am writing it out on Word before pasting it here but because of formatting, the forum deletes large chunks for no reason.
So we should blame Dave... also, mention that he's old... yeah, i think i can call it a day now.

GasBandit

Staff member
I generally use notepad so there's no formatting, then add it here with the forum's formatting tools, if needed.

Ok forget the break, I'll keep going:

Part 2
After close to a year of dating (Around January 2013) I had already met her entire family multiple times over (if you have any clue how large Mexican families are, you can understand how insane a feat this is) and they were a rarity. Multiple openly gay family members all over. Cousins, daughter, Aunts, Uncles etc. I also haven't mentioned her father. All I can and will say is that he's a very influential member of the Mexican government. I realize how bullshit that sounds, so take it or leave it. I didn't come into this knowledge till around this time. All I had known about him was when I met him through "mean customer" and the business he ran. I was spending alot of time traveling back and forth from Texas to Mexico and if any of you know about the troubles on the border during this time, it wasn't the safest thing in the world. I also hate flying so it was a conundrum. I started trying to get her to spend more time over here (which is kind of stupid because where I lived didn't offer shit in comparison and it was putting her in danger instead of me). So traveling was getting to be a burden. Well her solution to this was "Why don't we just get married and you can move in with me?" I'll be honest, I was kind of floored. Things were great between us and I know this is funny coming from me, but I thought she was just out of my league. I was a mid-level banker from a shit part of Texas. She worked with her father in a multi-million dollar business and lived like a princess. The only catch was she wanted me to move to Mexico. Now I enjoyed every single one of my trips out there, and it wasn't like I was visiting some tumble weed shit towns either. I realized the implications right away. So why didn't I just immediately say yes and live happily ever after? Well there's where we go back to the first part of this paragraph.

Her life was constantly monitored. She had three bodyguards (very awesome people by the way) that literally were never more than 500yrds away from her at all times. Her father had constant death threats, his family in turn had constant death threats. On a nearly bi-monthly basis there was break in attempts, kidnapping attempts, vandalism, auto-theft, bomb scares etc. These were all things I had also learned to live with during our entire year of dating, and let me tell you, it's not an easy thing to get accustomed to. We were never REALLY alone. Even though nothing had happened to me yet, I didn't really believe 100% of what she was telling me and felt she embellished alot. It wasn't until the bus she was coming to visit me in was pulled over by looters and I almost lost her that I began to see the reality of it. (She got out safely because it was a routine looting and not targeted, amazingly enough). So it was a harder decision than I wanted it to be. So I honestly sat down with her father and talked it over. I told him about my concerns, about working in Texas, the possibility of her moving out there with me vs moving to Mexico myself. About the fact that I didn't want to come off as a gold digger and wanted to find a job if I did move etc.

So in the end we decided to get engaged and I was going to feel it out from there.
********************************************************************************
TLDR: Her father was a very important man, more than just a wealthy business man and her entire family was living in constant danger so when she asked me to marry her I was on the fence about the decision.

Part 3

Getting Married
So what ended up happening was her father offered me a job as one of his businesses public relations officer. I basically did what I did for my bank but was more narrowly focused on bringing new clients to the business. My fiance and I moved in together (I wish I had picture of where I'm living, seriously guys it's breath taking) and things were working out great. So this went on for 3 months and where we lived nothing really happened to make me decide not to go through with it. I did alot of traveling all over Mexico during this time with my fiance and sometimes alone but nothing really happened to concern me. The only real downside to everything was having everything I did followed and monitored. I mean EVERYTHING outside of what happened in the bedroom/bathroom. It's not something you really ever get used to but the Pros outweighed the cons. My life was fundamentally different and while there were things I desperately missed (My brother and his family, whom I didn't see or really talk to since moving, free time for gaming or really any kind of internet freedom) and there were things I learned to appreciate that I never had before (just spending time with someone and not worrying about whether they were going to leave/change their mind, worrying about scaring someone off, worrying about where I was going to wake up after a crazy night etc). Life was really really good. So in March of 2013 we got married and honestly I could not have been happier.

******************************************************************************************
There are some details I'm leaving out that are not important to this discussion so I'm going to leave it at this. She has family members that aren't all on the up and up, this is one of the reasons for the heavy monitoring. I discovered this only after we got married. Though her father has political distance from them, I can tell you that there's alot of stuff going on to warrant alot of the danger the family is experiencing. I will not go into that part any further for obvious reasons but it's part of the reason I don't post here anymore even though life isn't exactly slow for me.
****************************************************************************************

Last edited:
Part 4

The Downsides
So I don't really game online anymore, anytime I have played anything has been on console (I miss being part of the Master Race). I don't post on forums anymore. I don't have any social networking presence etc. Also because of the negative connections in my life I can't help the people in my life I really want to. My brother won't accept money from me. I offered to buy him and his family a home as well as pay off their student loans but he's concerned for understandable reasons. The best I've been able to do is fully pay for my visit her by taking them out to eat, buying the kids a PS4 and Xbone, etc. It really wrecks me that my contact with him is nearly non-existant and when I go back, it'll probably go back to that again. It wrecks me that I see them living check to check, and while they're doing alot to improve that (he's going to school for his masters) I can't do anything to help. I miss you guys, I miss posting here. There have been so many things that have happened in my life that I just wanted to come running onto the boards and share it with you (Though after discussing with Dave on this subject, I may start doing it on a Proxy basis). I have so many awesome pictures back home I want to share. All my experiences, the fact that I can afford to travel and meet with some of you etc. It just wrecks me that alot of this isn't possible and even though it's been the best 2yrs of my life, no question, it has also been the most guilt ridden.
**************************************************************************************
That's pretty much the jist of everything. I'm glad to be able to share at least this much with you guys. I'm glad to even be here visiting. I'm going to do everything in my power (now that I've cleared it with Dave) to try and come back even part time/with updates. I'm just glad. I hope to keep catching up with most of you if I can, feel free to PM me ANYTHING and I swear I'll answer if I can.

Thanks for taking the time to read all this, I know it was a mouthful but hey, it's my life.

GasBandit

Staff member
Hide single benjamins in various places around Gil's house over the course of the week, so that he doesn't find them until after you leave, and even then, probably only one every so often.

Draw owls on them too when you hide them. Hidden owl drawings are the best thing to do to someone's house.

So if I am understanding this correctly...
You're happily married to someone you genuinely love, that also happens to be ridiculously wealthy so you can live a life of luxury.

The idea of "routine lootings" s0unds inconvenient.

--Patrick
It's pretty bad near the border and in the smaller cities. The larger cities have crime but what major city anywhere doesn't? I'm very glad to live in a very secure area, the guys that work for the family are really solid people and watch over the property and us 24/7/365. I've never personally felt in danger (thankfully), but the news over here can be very very brutal. I'm not sure how much is released over there because everytime I read any news from the US its about Bengazi, or Russia or Obama etc. Over here, it's about the Cartels, the military desertions, the corruption etc. The lootings are usually done by singular gangs, though sometimes the cartels are involved. The mass murders that happen over here are usually between cartels only.

@blotsfan: Well if we focus on just the good parts? Yeah that's exactly it. Seriously though, traveling with restrictions isn't always fun. Working for a family business means there really is no day off. Hearing about a family member (far removed but still family) having something terrible happen to them constantly isn't exactly 100% bliss.

*whistles, impressed*

Sounds like you've got a hell of a time ahead of you. I'm glad that you've found someone that you care for, despite the obviously manipulated introductions.

Honestly, after reading through all that, there's really only so much I can say that's not a series of platitudes. Hell of a storybook romance, though!

Keep your head on a swivel, work with the bodyguards (hell, this would be a great opportunity to pick up a new skill-set) on learning the ins-and-outs, which might help with the travelling restrictions.

Sucks that you're on a lockdown due to monitoring though... I get it, but does suck wombats.

Mad kudos for trying to help out Gil, even though he's being stiff-necked and prideful about it - to be fair, so would I. *grins*

I wish you the best of luck in everything, and hope that at some point, you'll be able to return with more regularity! I genuinely enjoy reading your posts - even those that are more persona-focused. :D

Even though there are the negative aspects of this new life, I'm really glad to hear how well things have been working out for you, Shego.

Also, this totally sounds like it could have the makings of a good telenovela.

Even though there are some annoying aspects you are having to deal with I am truly happy that things seem to be working out for you and I hope that you are truly happy. :)

@Officer_Charon: As @filmfanatic said, it borderlines telenovela, I know. I know this to the point that two of her Aunts call me "Mari Mar" for any of you who know what telenovelas are, will get that. (Side note: If I didn't hate TV enough before, I can't stand regular broadcasts out there, I'm so thankfull for Netflix.)
As for watching out and learning, I've been getting "How not to get kidnapped 101" pretty much since we started getting serious in our dating. I have learned ALOT.... What previously was hobbyist knowledge has become more professional. :devil:

@Hylian: I am pretty damn happy. Happy in ways I didn't expect but definitely happy. I never thought I could work this much and not hate myself, but it rarely feels like work.

@Espy: Absolutely, but I'm going to want some unknowns in the role and they're going to have to audition for me first ;) (Or Gasbandit's idea, that works too, I still want the personal audition though)

@DarkAudit: I believe it's less pigheaded and more worried about connections. It's why I haven't argued with him. If it was just being stubborn/macho, I would have just deposited it all into his wife's account :p

@DarkAudit: I believe it's less pigheaded and more worried about connections. It's why I haven't argued with him. If it was just being stubborn/macho, I would have just deposited it all into his wife's account :p
I can see that. That's where you can apply GB's other idea... except that this whole thread is in the clear and he probably knows all about it by now. :p :)