[Fixed] Where's my ignore button?

Status
Not open for further replies.

fade

Staff member
The ignore function reminds me strongly of 1984 or Stepford Wives. Conform to my way of thinking or be reNeducated out of existence.

M

makare

I don't think either of those stories centered around a "life's too short to deal with assholes" view of the universe.

I'm guessing that people who "don't want to deal with assholes" online are the kind that deal with them too often IRL/can't deal with them IRL.

M

makare

In person you can just walk away or kick them out of your house. Here your options are more limited.

B

Biannoshufu

The ignore function reminds me strongly of 1984 or Stepford Wives. Conform to my way of thinking or be reNeducated out of existence.
nah, thats a bit extreme. I see it like a forum's pair of noise cancelling headphones. filter out the consistently useless "blah blah" and listen to the many other interesting people. its a time saver. That doesnt mean i expect everyone to act a certain way, just that I'll filter out the inane.

The ignore function will serve its use. Which will be mostly for those who have been the most vocal in its support because they have been too thin skinned, easy to rile up after being repeated called out for being inane themselves for good reason. If you have a long history of conflict with other posters, here's a clue, the problem isn't coming from them, it's you. Hiding behind an ignore function will not serve you well in ways you'll never fully understand.

After seeing the progress on these forums the last day or so, I'm starting to believe that this addition is probably going to be the most severe mistake that the forum administration has made since the anonymous passive-aggressive debacle that I fought hard against. Instead of providing a way for members to not talk to each other, this small forum community should be all about coming together and getting along and like any good family have it's own share of riffs and raffs between family members. Giving everyone a protective blanket from one another is pointless.

I know I've been the butt on the joke of who should be ignored, coming from the staff or ex-staff themselves (with picture included). Why you'd do that is once again a poor choice in one's judgement. Staff shouldn't be promoting this type of behavior or allowing poster to exclaim openly who they have ignored or who they want to ignore if they wish to have their forums be as positive as it can be.

Kindly note that whether you have decided to ignore me or not does not affect me in any shape or fashion and I'll still reply to inane posts even from those who have decided to ignored me and even if they'll be screaming that they did from the rooftops. It doesn't matter to me. What you just did is give me easy victory when I'll put you in your place when you need to be put in your place and a "default" victory is just as good as a hard fought one. :)

Oh and if you couldn't read my post then clicked on "show ignored posters", you can suck it! you salty bitch!

M

makare

Ok so you want the forum to be positive but you think it is a victory to be a giant annoying ass?

That speaks volumes for why we need the ignore function.

A people-centric approach, I guess. My personal POV on these things is issue-based, and I think everyone is good at some field or other. To ignore them would cause one to miss out on the gems one can occasionally find in their comments, assuming one can disregard all the crap in the mean time.

Of course, for some those gems are so few and far between that it's simply not worth the bother.

Different approaches for different people.

M

makare

It really wouldnt make a difference because Big Brother wanted to control everyone and the Stepford men just wanted subservient fembots. Neither of the subjects of the control were assholes. And also they weren't being ignored they were being actively controlled and changed. It's not the same at all. The people being ignored in this case are more like the Proles as far as the way they are treated i mean. not in regards to usefulness.....

Think of it this way. This is a huge hall. There are groups of people all over the place. People on the other side of the room you really can't stand, and instead of making a scene (and general jack-ass of yourself) you avoid them. You shouldn't have to leave the hall just because a few people on the other side of the room give you a migraine. Just don't go over there.

The ignore function gives us the opportunity to do that. It lets us choose our community.

Only thing I can see making people not like the ignore function is if they like the drama. I for one find the ability for makare and Mathias to ignore each other to be a god-send.

M

makare

I agree with that although I don't think we've had any problem with each other really at least I haven't.

And I actually haven't put anyone on ignore yet. I will, but I haven't gotten around to it.

M

makare

And here I was thinking a hall as in a party hall. A party where someone was a little lax with the guest list and now some drunk monkey just crapped in the punch bowl.

At an adult party, whether you like someone or not, whether they're jerks or not, you still put your best face forward and continue about your business and talking to everyone. Because you're adult enough for it not to bother you.

I'm not saying you're childish, I'm just explaining what happens in the example you put forward.

M

makare

There is a difference between having to be courteous to the jackasses as you hurriedly walk away and having to actually talk to them. Unless it is like a work party and you MUST talk to the people you can't stand because you work with them.

There is a differece, but you don't stick your fingers in your ears whenever they're talking to the same group of people you are.

M

makare

You don't have to acknowledge them though. All the parties I've been to if there are people that others dont like they avoid talking to them. I have that problem with my friends roommate, who is also one of my classmates. He's always around but I don't have to talk to him and he is too self-involved to even notice he is being ignored by people.

Only thing I can see making people not like the ignore function is if they like the drama. I for one find the ability for makare and Mathias to ignore each other to be a god-send.
It's one thing not to get along with someone & ignoring them altogether after knowing full well you'll never get along with them and another thing being unable ignore their posts and reciprocating and then not be able to eat what you dished out in return and making a big deal you can't ignore them and having big brother come in on a constant basis to defend you.

Makare is a prime example of this.

This is my point of view, using your... analogy Krispie. Did I mention I like analogies?

So, there is this huge hall and people are all over the place talking about various subjects. Makare sees a group of people across the room that she don't get along with and knows full well she gets them on their nerves but approaches casually while their having their private conversation in this huge hall.

Poster A : "I say! That's a jolly good point Poster B. I didn't think of it that way."

*Poster A gives Poster B a pat on the back* (+1 to like)

Poster C : "I kind of agree but I kinda feel different about this point *mumble mumble*

*Poster B listens intently*

Poster B : "Mmm, I can see your point, still I feel that-"

*suddenly a wild Makare appears in the middle of the group*

Makare : "Captain Picard is ruthless. LOLz +1"

*Poster A&B&C are annoyed.*

Poster B goes:

obama-adultz-are-talkin.jpg

*Poster B fails at diplomacy check to get the subject back on course and no mods in sight early in the situation*

Makare : "You're such an asshole and I won't listen to what you're saying regardless to how much time and effort you put in and continue prodding you with this dildo."

Now Poster A&B&C are miffed.

Poster C goes:

tumblr_lobd0dIHdX1qgzpkao1_500.jpg

*Poster C fails at his intimidate check at trying to put Makare in her place and Suddenly Big Brother comes in*

Big Brother : "You people should treat her with respect. You are wrong."

Poster B: "But she-"

Big Brother : "Nope wrong."

Poster C: "You know I-"

Big Brother : "Nope don't care about what you say, I never liked you, you're not entitled to your opinion. Why do you even exist? You should know this already as I always come in these type of threads to defend my friend even though she started it."

*Suddenly clumsy Mod Bud comes in.*

Mod Bud : "Alright people, that's enough. I have no clue what I'm doing, so let me keep this simple. Poster C, this is your fault because you're usually an asshole and I don't like you anyways."

Makare : "There should be a way to ignore Posters like Poster C... even B... cause I don't like him today."

Mod Bud : "There is. Take this!"

*Mod Bud hands Makare a Kitten* /zelda

Mod Bud : "With this you will be able to ignore Posters like Poster C even though he didn't do anything wrong and I won't bother to do what I was supposed to do."

Makare : "Awesome. I really don't like Posters like Poster C and even though I made no effort to avoid conflicts previously now I can use this kitten to ignore more people that I suddenly don't like but I picked fights with initially."

At this point Poster C is trying to talk but a giant zipper is on his mouth.

Makare : "Can't hear you, I'm ignoring you!"

Makare climbs awkwardly on the rooftops of every building near the Big Hall.

Makare : "I'm ignoring Poster C! Look at this poster, it's proof I am! Poster C is a bad poster and an asshole to boot! No one is reading this. Look! Look!"

Three days pass by.... Poster C is chatting with Poster A and B again.

Makare : "LOLz, I only see Poster A talking to himself! HERP DERP! +1"

Poster A goes :

bitch_please.jpg

Big Brother appears....

Big Brother : "You are wrong. Treat my friend with respect."

And the cycle continues.

--------------

Anyways, I'm off to watch some Walking Dead.

M

makare

It is very amusing that if I am annoying people it is my bad but if Jay is annoying people it is their own fault.

The real issue here is that some people hold themselves to a different standard than others. The other day when I was accused of arguing for argument's sake is a perfect example of that. Now I was just commenting in a thread. I don't like arguing just to argue. But who does? well shego has admitted that she has often taken a position she does not agree with why? just to argue for arguments sake because she likes it. That is a perfect example of the different standards.

Well yeah, because if everyone just agreed 100% of the time, where would the interest lie?

Also, whenever I do it, it's never in a subject that would hurt/bother/insult another member. Most of the people on here have earned my respect in that manner.

I do know of people who purposely take opposing sides, just to get a conversation rolling, even if alot of hate is suddenly focused their way (Can you believe I'm not just talking about Charlie?) but it doesn't necessarily make them "assholes that deserve ignoring", it's 9x out of 10 just to make a conversation take a new direction/edge. It's interesting, it's engaging and it makes reading this forum all the better.

M

makare

We were talking about Disney movies.... why was that not an ok discussion to have?

The people I mostly want to ignore are the ones who think cruelty is funny, degrading and hurting people is ok and that not wanting to be hurt makes them pansies.

And for the last time and always it has nothing to do with whether I agree with them or not. I am not ignoring people because of them having differing opinions or I would be ignoring a good 80-85% of the forum instead there are about 4 people.

That's weird. I thought I graduated high school years ago, but judging by all this drama and clique bullshit, I never left.
Ignoring a couple people is hardly a clique. We have over 1,000 members on the forum. Ignoring 2 or 3 people isn't a return to high school.

Status
Not open for further replies.