Which tablets do you like?

Cajungal

Staff member
I'm researching non-iPad tablets right now, and I'm just curious about your experiences. Which ones do you like/dislike?

Thanks!

For the cheap side (or cheap as far as tablets go) I really enjoy the kindle fire. I have one, and it's quite useful as both an ebook reader and overall media and internet device.

On the not so cheap side, I really like the Microsoft Surface Pro, mostly because it's a full fledged windows PC that you can run actual pc software on.

Decide what you're going to do with it, then research accordingly.
No sense in getting an iPad if you have to use Flash stuff, or the like.

--Patrick

It depends on what you are wanting it for and how large of a tablet you want. For me I went with the Nexus 10 and it works great for me although it does seem a bit large at times for lugging around.

I use Motorola Xooms for my research. They are pretty solid, but like others have said, you need to identify your needs. The Surface is powerful, the Kindle is lightweight. I put Xoom in between, on par with the iPad.

Cajungal

Staff member
I want it for work, pretty much. I miss having something to take when I'm out and about. My old laptop finally crapped out, and I just want something on which I can communicate, research educational resources, and plan. Checking my email on my phone gets really old. My eyesight is terrible.

GasBandit

Staff member
I can't say enough good things about the Google Nexus 7. It's fast. It's cheap. It's powerful. It has amazing battery life. The one small drawback to it is no card slot for removable storage. Oh, and I dropped mine, and the tilt sensor went a wonky... till I dropped it again (both times by accident) and that corrected it for the most part. Oh, and it doesn't do the cell phone data thing, it works only by wifi (or bluetooth is an option too, if you tether to a cell phone for data).

I want it for work, pretty much. I miss having something to take when I'm out and about. My old laptop finally crapped out, and I just want something on which I can communicate, research educational resources, and plan. Checking my email on my phone gets really old. My eyesight is terrible.
The Xoom or anything less powerful will be frustrating to do any kind of word processing on (although you can get keyboards for most of them). If you want to check your calendar, email, send short emails, do any kind of media, internet browsing etc., then they should work fine. Otherwise, go for a Surface.

Cajungal

Staff member
I can't say enough good things about the Google Nexus 7. It's fast. It's cheap. It's powerful. It has amazing battery life. The one small drawback to it is no card slot for removable storage. Oh, and I dropped mine, and the tilt sensor went a wonky... till I dropped it again (both times by accident) and that corrected it for the most part. Oh, and it doesn't do the cell phone data thing, it works only by wifi (or bluetooth is an option too, if you tether to a cell phone for data).
Ah, yeah, a card slot is preferred. But might not be a deal breaker... I've heard good things about that one. This feedback is really helpful, guys. :)

GasBandit

Staff member
Ah, yeah, a card slot is preferred. But might not be a deal breaker... I've heard good things about that one. This feedback is really helpful, guys. :)
My workaround for not having a card reader is to use DropBox to do transfers of most files (like, MP3s or smaller), and ES File Explorer over LAN (or my own FTP site) for anything absolutely huge like movies. I have to admit I don't do a lot of work-work on it (and most of what I do, when I do, is done via VNC or Remote Desktop), but I don't think most work applications would be more demanding than what I do with mine. It has yet to balk at anything I give it. And it's a real nice Skype platform, too.[DOUBLEPOST=1382976569,1382976225][/DOUBLEPOST]Oh, one big caveat is, if you DO end up getting a Nexus 7, is first thing you do is get a multitouch test program and make sure the whole screen works right. Some of the first gen Nexus 7s had a serious touchscreen problem due to a manufacturing defect, and if there are any dead zones on the screen you'll want to get it swapped for a different one immediately. But once you're past that, you're golden.

I just want to toss in another vote on the new (2nd gen) Nexus 7. I love iPads, but the Nexus 7 is very impressive, runs super-fast, has a gorgeous screen and is very affordable.

The only reason to get something else if you're going non-iPad would be if you need more of a laptop (then I've heard the Surface Pro 2 is good), you need a larger screen, you prefer the Amazon environment (in which case, Kindle Fire HDX all the way, of course), or you're looking for a phablet instead (the new Galaxy Note is very good).

Cajungal

Staff member
I'm leaning towards that one now. I don't necessarily need a laptop. I'll be typing on it, but I don't mind something smaller.

GasBandit

Staff member
I'm leaning towards that one now. I don't necessarily need a laptop. I'll be typing on it, but I don't mind something smaller.
The same company I linked also makes cases with built-in bluetooth keyboards if you plan for a LOT of typing.

I would love to try out the MS Surface Pro 2 as a replacement for carrying around my Laptop / Intuos 4 combination. Anyone have any idea how well it fairs in Photoshop? Or other tablets with pressure sensitive screens?

GasBandit

Staff member
I would love to try out the MS Surface Pro 2 as a replacement for carrying around my Laptop / Intuos 4 combination. Anyone have any idea how well it fairs in Photoshop? Or other tablets with pressure sensitive screens?
Well, Gabe from PA sings its praises, if that matters to you.