Whine like a baby, now with 500% more drama!

I've had a cast iron stomach since my teenaged years...
Funny you mention this. I had a similar incident today which I think may be related to a bad bag of snack mix. A bag which was different from all the rest when I bought it (think “older label design”), but since the exp date was still good, I didn’t think anything of it.
Anyway, I had a handful of it during a break at work and it tasted a little off, but I wrote that off to being a brand of garlic and onion-flavored peanuts and cashews mixed with everything-flavored sesame sticks that I hadn’t tried before. Besides, I’d had a couple handfuls a day or two before with no ill effects (so no reason to suspect sesame allergy, either).
Fast forward about 6hrs, and I’m just talking to someone and minding my own business when my body temperature starts to spike, my forehead starts to sweat something fierce, I start feeling lethargic, waves of nausea start rolling in, and I get a little rumbly down below. I head to the bathroom and prepare to take a seat, but every passing moment makes me feel more and more like that might be facing the wrong direction.
Now something about me I know I’ve mentioned before is that it’s been a LONG time since I last threw up. I’m talking since elementary school. But my mouth is starting to salivate hard and the gorge is rising and I just know this might be the moment my streak finally comes to an end. So I lean over and arch my back and brace myself and heave and cough Into the bowl and … that‘s it. I spit maybe a hiccup’s worth of phlegm/bile/whatever was at the back of my tongue into the bowl and it’s just … gone. Oh, I still feel just as weak as if I’d gone and death metal’d my entire stomach into the bowl, but the fever and nausea are gone, the sweating and saliva have stopped, and everything is settled, completely back to normal. I could probably even have gone back to work without issue buuuut it’s only 30min before time to leave anyway and everyone is giving me the COVID-eye, so I left early “out of an abundance of caution.”

Anyway it’s 3hrs later and I’ve just finished having cubanos and I feel fine, so at least I’m guessing it wasn’t COVID. I don’t think I’ll be finishing that bag of snack mix, though. Maybe we both ought to have our gallbladders checked, too.

—Patrick

Anyway it’s 3hrs later and I’ve just finished having cubanos and I feel fine, so at least I’m guessing it wasn’t COVID. I don’t think I’ll be finishing that bag of snack mix, though. Maybe we both ought to have our gallbladders checked, too.
I stayed up late in the living room last night because I was emitting lethal nerve gas. I don't think the wife would have appreciated having our bedroom turned into a biohazard. At least it's gone now. I just have no idea what caused it. I guess I'll avoid Walmart birthday cakes from now on.

I have been two months now looking for a job. I'm dead broke, have bills coming that I can't pay. I have put out nearly 100 resume's and only received two interviews. I just to talked to a friend of mine the other day to find out that it's very likely it's because my resume isn't set for the ATS systems they use, and even then, when I apply for lower level jobs I'm ignored because I won't stay, or it's so far below my qualifications and experience. I'm close to starving and just want to go back to work.
Sounds like it's time to start omitting/lying about your work history , if you still want to apply for lower level jobs.

I was feeling under the weather last week, probably caught a cold. My wife started feeling under the weather this week, probably caught my cold.

But the weird thing is that our cold symptoms are almost completely unalike. I had a sore throat, stuffy chest, headache. My wife has a cough, runny nose, and lost her voice. It's like we divvied up all possible cold symptoms and split them between us.

The most likely explanation, I suppose, is that she caught it from somewhere else, which is quite plausible considering she works at an elementary school. She has an entirely different strain from mine altogether, which is why our symptoms are so different.

TW: Badly injured dog, not death.

Sunday night the younger of our two pups developed a bad cough that would come in fits. By the middle of the night she was shaking and it looked like maybe having trouble breathing so we rushed her to the emergency vet who did a few tests and figured a nasal flush and some chest x-rays would be the best way to go. Unfortunately during the sedation, her breathing tube shifted for a few seconds and it caused a bit of high pressure on her trachea that punctured a tear in it and pushed some air into her chest cavity as well as inflating her lungs while not allowing the co2 to escape during that time. There was a very real possibility that she may not have awoken from that sedation but luckily she did pull out of it. They kept her for the next day to monitor her o2 levels as well as a weakness in her back legs that had developed.

Luckily she is home now and while not totally out of the woods she has been improving.

This was her Monday during our visit, high in spirits at least. Probably pain meds too. Half groomed but still looking as cheeky as ever.

1695171275522.png

Been a scary 48 hours but glad she is back home now. The vet waived any care costs derived from the accident, which of course they should and would but it was nice not to have to fight them about it, as well as all the initial charges for the visit in the first place. We have pet insurance for both after an incident with my cat over 10 years ago now but glad they didn't try to hit us for this. They've also agreed to cover any future costs that might derive from this but now that I've had time to think about it, I'll need to get that in writing somewhere.

1695171966664.png

Last edited:

GasBandit

Staff member
Wow. Texas isn't the worst. Even Florida isn't the worst. Surprisingly (for this category), even Georgia and Illinois aren't the worst!

The last time I was through there I was with my mom and she was impatient to get off the flight despite them telling us that everything was backed up and that we'd probably be more comfortable just being patient. She wasn't, so we weren't. Was rad to stand shoulder to shoulder crammed with people because our connecting flight was delayed indefinitely and then we were eventually given a 15 dollar voucher for dinner that no one would honour. Fuck that place.

I will pay hundreds more for a ticket at this point if it doesn't take me through there for any reason because at this point you're going to spend hours (days) more time there than you're booked to. That last layover between Toronto and Edmonton made the entire trip not worth it.

I don't fly a lot, so I never noticed EWR being particularly worse than any other airport I've been to. To me, JFK is so much worse, just getting in and out of there alone. Or maybe because I have to fly out of Newark/LaGuardia/JFK so often, I've become desensitized to it. To me, flying is such a hassle I'm never excited to get to an airport.

However, I love me some Taipei Taoyuan International Airport! That place is fuuuuun!

GasBandit

Staff member
What. HARD ddisagree.

Even when lines are at their worst, I've never had a long security wait and never had an issue with anything.

Also we have Blucifer.
I mean, a giant glowing demonic murderous horse statue that killed its creator IS a big plus, but I've traveled through both DFW and DIA a lot, and maybe I'm just biased because DIA has lost my luggage multiple times and DFW hasn't.