Whine like a baby, now with 500% more drama!

I went to the grocery store today. I bought a big container of cat litter. I forgot it in the bottom of the cart when I was loading the car. Now I have to go back again and spend another 10 bucks on cat litter >_<
Normally you are better off not going back. Too many stores will have you arrested for not paying in the first place. But will not chase you down for $10.

Normally you are better off not going back. Too many stores will have you arrested for not paying in the first place. But will not chase you down for $10.
I get the impression he paid for it, he just forgot to put it in his car. Basically, his kitty litter was sitting in a shopping cart in a parking lot, free for anyone to take.

On the other hand, I once walked out of a grocery store without them scanning the $5.00 in bottled water I had in the bottom of the cart. I was 2 steps out the door when I realized, turned around, and walked straight back to the cashier. I told them they forgot to scan my water.

They just waved me off and said "meh, just take it." It felt kinda weird.

I’m doing a two day mandatory training session for work and omg is it mind numbing. I am doing the course in our room so I can keep an eye on our medicated kitten which is great. Seriously, my boss is awesome. The course though…I am struggling.

Day two of mind numbing course. Each sessions today is super long. Butterball sat on the keyboard and restarted the four hour session and now it keeps crashing and I have to keep restarting and retaking the mini tests. This is not the two day course that was advertised.

GasBandit

Staff member
My bank just got bought by another bank. My accounts got moved over.

I use Mint to keep track of my budgeting. I had to add the new bank's account to it, and this made my checking account activity double up.

Well, I guess I delete my old account from Mint, since the transactions came across obviously, right?

Well, except they only came across for the last few months, turns out, and I didn't realize that until I had deleted the old one.

So, now my years of trend data is gone. Doh. I guess in the long term, it won't matter after a few years, but it was nice to have for informational purposes.

It's such a pain in the ass whenever a bank buys another bank, and this is like the third time it's happened to me in the last 20 years. I opened a checking account with "First National Bank" in 1999, they got bought by Citibank, Citibank then sold all their accounts in Texas for some reason to BB&T, and now BB&T has been bought by Truist. This time has been the least convenient of any of them because now there are apps and interconnected accounts and freakin biometrics to update. Uuuugh.

My bank just got bought by another bank. My accounts got moved over.

I use Mint to keep track of my budgeting. I had to add the new bank's account to it, and this made my checking account activity double up.

Well, I guess I delete my old account from Mint, since the transactions came across obviously, right?

Well, except they only came across for the last few months, turns out, and I didn't realize that until I had deleted the old one.

So, now my years of trend data is gone. Doh. I guess in the long term, it won't matter after a few years, but it was nice to have for informational purposes.

It's such a pain in the ass whenever a bank buys another bank, and this is like the third time it's happened to me in the last 20 years. I opened a checking account with "First National Bank" in 1999, they got bought by Citibank, Citibank then sold all their accounts in Texas for some reason to BB&T, and now BB&T has been bought by Truist. This time has been the least convenient of any of them because now there are apps and interconnected accounts and freakin biometrics to update. Uuuugh.
I have never changed banks since i was 19. But it's been through about 7 hands.

Dave

Staff member
I bought a car from a dealer a few years ago. Paid it off but couldn't find the title. Why? Nobody knew where it was. The bank the loan was through got bought. That bank split up. Those banks both got bought. THOSE banks got bought. One of those split. Other things may have happened. I tried to sell it but nobody knew who held the title. So I left the keys in it and walked away.

I have never changed banks since i was 19. But it's been through about 7 hands.
My grandpa works across the street from a bank. He had to go in there enough to the point that he became familiar with most of the people who work there. I guess one of the people he liked mentioned to him that they were doing a program where all the employees in a branch were getting bonuses based on how many new accounts they could create. So my mom took me and my brother there and each had us get a checking account with a $5 deposit to keep for a month.

Thats still my main checking account.

Well, my grandpa just died. He was 95 and had some heart problems, so it's not like it was unexpected, but it still hurts. In the end, it wasn't even his heart that got him. He slipped in the tub and hit his head. He never felt any pain, and he never lost even a fraction of his mind right up until the end.

RIP, grandpa. I love you.

So a former professor of mine from grad school is doing a study/lecture on video game translation, so she interviewed me about my experiences at my current workplace regarding translating and editing the translations of video games. We chatted for an hour or so, and I went rather in-depth about the stuff I've worked on in the years I've been here, and she said it was very helpful. Then she asked me I could recommend any other colleagues at my company who might be able to offer other viewpoints, such as translating between different languages or using different tools. I said sure, I'll ask around.

So today I asked one of my colleagues, "Hey, my old professor is doing a study/lecture on video game translation, and she'd like to interview you on your experiences working on translating games, would you be willing to talk to her? She already interviewed me last week, and we talked for about an hour, and I told her about the stuff I've worked on in the years I've been here."

My colleague: "Uh, did you just massively violate NDA?"

Me: "Erm..."

Well, my grandpa just died. He was 95 and had some heart problems, so it's not like it was unexpected, but it still hurts. In the end, it wasn't even his heart that got him. He slipped in the tub and hit his head. He never felt any pain, and he never lost even a fraction of his mind right up until the end.

RIP, grandpa. I love you.
Condolences...Sounds like a fairly good way to go, though.

Telenet, belgium's biggest cable and internet company, has just announced that, starting September, they'll make it impossible to fast forward through commercials, and that watching a recorded show will start with a 1-minute unskippable ad.
I think they're underestimating the amount of cable cutting that's going to happen.
Even keeping my mobile phone, landline and internet with them, losing cable will net me €45/month. Cutting the landline and going elsewhere with mobile phone is something I'm seriously considering. Internetwise, sadly, no decent other options (either more expensive or slower...I'm used to my gigabit internet dammit).
Oh well, guess it's time to start using apps and streaming services.

Telenet, belgium's biggest cable and internet company, has just announced that, starting September, they'll make it impossible to fast forward through commercials, and that watching a recorded show will start with a 1-minute unskippable ad.
I think they're underestimating the amount of cable cutting that's going to happen.
Even keeping my mobile phone, landline and internet with them, losing cable will net me €45/month. Cutting the landline and going elsewhere with mobile phone is something I'm seriously considering. Internetwise, sadly, no decent other options (either more expensive or slower...I'm used to my gigabit internet dammit).
Oh well, guess it's time to start using apps and streaming services.
You could get a VPN for like... €10-11 a month. Just sayin'.

Or Belgian shows. *ducks*
Well, you're mostly right. Most of the Belgian stuff I watch is available one way or another on line, too. Election results coverage, local sports team (or, more to what I care about, national teams' performances), and maybe the occasional Flemish The Voice or Got Talent...Though the level in the US and UK editions tends to be higher (not surprising, considering the populations).

So we just had a severe thunderstorm roll through.
It tore one of the ornamental shutters next to our bedroom window off the exterior BUT only the bottom half came loose, which means the wind just SLAMMED that shutter REPEATEDLY into our WINDOW until it SHATTERED and then finally also tore the top loose and blew it away. I tried to open the inner window to catch it and keep it from shattering the inner window as well but I couldn't open the window because it appears my my father-in-law, at some point in the past, put a bead of silicone sealant all the way around the window, gluing it in place.

Had to put shoes on and go out and retrieve the shutter before it could reach the border and escape, and looks like tomorrow I'll be pricing out a new storm window as well as climbing out the other bedroom window so I can retrieve any shattered pieces of glass on the roof before they fall onto unsuspecting people below (we're on the 2nd floor). SO glad I did the grocery shopping earlier today so I have more of tomorrow free to deal with this crap. I have not even had the chance to touch my gaming computer all day.

--Patrick

Last edited:
Work always had an official rule of no earbuds on duty, because safety, gotta be able to hear what's going on around you. There was an unspoken agreement that as long as you had *one* earbud in and could immediately respond if someone called for you, it would be tolerated.

We had an emergency evacuation the other week, during which a TON of people failed to evacuate because they had their earbuds in completely turned up and were somehow blissfully unaware of the yelling and air horns going on around them. (To be fair, why is there no visual cue like a flashing light system? Hearing impaired associates are a thing.)

Because of this, security/safety is stopping tolerance of music listening and cracking down hard on all earbud use. 12 hour shifts are gonna get duller.

Work always had an official rule of no earbuds on duty, because safety, gotta be able to hear what's going on around you. There was an unspoken agreement that as long as you had *one* earbud in and could immediately respond if someone called for you, it would be tolerated.

We had an emergency evacuation the other week, during which a TON of people failed to evacuate because they had their earbuds in completely turned up and were somehow blissfully unaware of the yelling and air horns going on around them. (To be fair, why is there no visual cue like a flashing light system? Hearing impaired associates are a thing.)

Because of this, security/safety is stopping tolerance of music listening and cracking down hard on all earbud use. 12 hour shifts are gonna get duller.
You should all do what people did in the olden days and sing work songs together.

Slightly more seriously, you might engage with them and ask if under - ears that leave the ear canal free, would be allowed. I used to use them at work for the same reason.

I wanna get a new tattoo.
But I can't decide what or where. I want like... At least 3 more?
And I really can't decide who I want to do it.

#firstworldproblems