[PC Game] World of Warcraft: Catch All Thread

Dave

Staff member
Fucking figures. I’ll talk to my buddies tomorrow and see if we’re going to make the move or wait in queue forever.

Almost time! :aaah:
We’ll see if I can even get logged in tonight. I don’t expect to get much of anything done in game for probably a week.

It actually wasn't too bad. There are a lot of people, and being able to tag a mob can be frustrating, but it wasn't horrible. The layering they did helped a lot I think. It would have been unplayable without it.

Hope you guys have fun. Just remember.

Everyone if going to want dwarf priests. Don't spec ret paladin, survival hunter or play a druid if you want to raid, no one will want you. Ironforge and orgrimmar will be the best spots if you want to wait around looking for groups. Be prepared to rebuff a lot, more so if you play holy paladin since blessings last 5 minutes. Watch your spec, people will judge you if you don't have the proper multispec (wand mastery anyone?). Make sure you always stock up in reagents like ammo or portal stones whenever in town.

Good luck!

Hope you guys have fun. Just remember.

Everyone if going to want dwarf priests. Don't spec ret paladin, survival hunter or play a druid if you want to raid, no one will want you. Ironforge and orgrimmar will be the best spots if you want to wait around looking for groups. Be prepared to rebuff a lot, more so if you play holy paladin since blessings last 5 minutes. Watch your spec, people will judge you if you don't have the proper multispec (wand mastery anyone?). Make sure you always stock up in reagents like ammo or portal stones whenever in town.

Good luck!
I wonder if you can still use that mod that all the paladins used that auto buffs the people who whisper you.

I've seen some side by sides and I think it's pretty funny that WoW Classic's early game stuff has been made easier than actual Vanilla WoW. They reduced the evasion of mobs and made the leveling quicker for the first 15 or so levels.

I've seen some side by sides and I think it's pretty funny that WoW Classic's early game stuff has been made easier than actual Vanilla WoW. They reduced the evasion of mobs and made the leveling quicker for the first 15 or so levels.
There's some definite health/Mana Regen boosts at low level too

Dave

Staff member
There are servers that have seen hardly any queues. They aren't PvP servers, though. I'm on Old Blanchy and I haven't hit a queue yet.

Slipping into a nice old pair of jeans, classic has been a really comfortable and slow process. Every night, if I get 15 minutes to play, I can usually go up a level and then capture all of the tasks required in that new level including class training, weapon training, levelling professions, etc. It's a slog, for sure, but I'm still enjoying the very deliberate game experience, especially as the significance of each level up is very noticeable.

Dave

Staff member
Slipping into a nice old pair of jeans, classic has been a really comfortable and slow process. Every night, if I get 15 minutes to play, I can usually go up a level and then capture all of the tasks required in that new level including class training, weapon training, levelling professions, etc. It's a slog, for sure, but I'm still enjoying the very deliberate game experience, especially as the significance of each level up is very noticeable.
Oh yeah it is. Remember when someone would level and then announce "DING!" and people would /cheer or /clap? In retail if you type "DING!" unless it's level 120 you're probably going to get "STFU" or just ignored.

Everything just means more now.

Oh yeah it is. Remember when someone would level and then announce "DING!" and people would /cheer or /clap? In retail if you type "DING!" unless it's level 120 you're probably going to get "STFU" or just ignored.

Everything just means more now.
And when you say everything, you really do mean everything. That green +1 spirit bracers? Amazing. Crafting a wand? Wow, look out - that's double the DPS of anything else you'd pick up. Money? You better make smart decisions or else you won't be able to level up your abilities. Pulling multiple mobs? You better be prepared to use all your cooldowns and probably drink a health potion. It just feels meatier, heavier, more impactful. It's also hella frustrating dying constantly as a cloth-wearer. But having years of experience in classic means I understand the slow pace of dungeons and hopefully will be a better addition to a PUG than in later XPACs where I was just DPS and threw out an occasional heal.

I forgot how much flying cost until I flew back and forth a few times because I forgot stuff and realized I was now broke. :(
There are a few things I miss, but for the most part I enjoy it more. I’ve found that a lot of the quality of life stuff in retail that has been done has really killed the social part of the game. Just having to group up so you can all tag a named mob, or having to actually find a group for group quests, changes how you interact with people. I know it can be annoying at times, but nothing horrible.

Dave

Staff member
Story time!!

So last night my friend Caleb wasn't on (I'm running with him on my main exclusively) so I pulled up my alt character. Human Priest. Now, I've never really run a Priest before so this is a new experience. And by that I mean I've only run a Priest in later retail days, which means that I never had to group up or heal anyone. Anyway, I'm trying to kill defias looters and having a hell of a time pulling only one and staying alive. Suddenly there was a Mage and Druid combo who invited me in and I did nothing but heal after that. The Druid was a whirling dervish of an aggro machine and holy shit did I have a hard time keeping up with him! I burned several potions just keeping my mana up. The Mage wandered off at first but I had to make a decision and I stuck with the Druid.

I have never felt accomplishment like I did keeping that guy alive. It's the first time I was actually successful as a healer and it made me think maybe I could do this as a class.

Dave

Staff member
Oh, and as to money...My 16th Priest has a GOLD! A GOLD! And I was really excited about that!

Oh, I have to train? Did I say gold? I meant 50 SP.

Be aware guys that the only reason things "mean more" right now is because it's fresh and untouched. Like any MMO, it's going to drop into the usual places at some point once you don't have anything else to do and you equip most of the best gear and have nothing to spend your gold on. The issue with retail is after a certain point in time those moments diminish as you go into the new expansion already wearing more best in slot gear from the last expansion and hundreds of thousands of gold in the bank, thus you lose some of that impactful feeling each time.
Retail would likely feel the same if they deleted all your gear and money each time an expansion dropped. :p

It's good you are enjoying it, just don't expect all those good feels to be the norm forever.

Dave

Staff member
I disagree. In retail, everything is handed to you on a platter. Levels? *yawn* Gear? *double yawn* Money? Got lots of that.

In Classic you have to WORK for things. You EARN them. I don't expect this feeling to go away for a long time.

Unless, of course, the servers stay unstable. Blizzard is pulling a self-fulfilling prophecy by going in the loop of, "Sure it's popular NOW but it's going to die off, so we're not adding servers." which, of course, creates a queue which drives people away, which means that population is lowering, which means that....

In Classic you have to WORK for things. You EARN them. I don't expect this feeling to go away for a long time.
Yes, but once again, the reason for that is because you are starting fresh. No mains, no savings, no alts to collect BOE or other items, no people that can run you through dungeons yet, etc. The reason you have that in retail is due to it being established over a decade. It's basic inflation.

Fun little fact, but the reason retail has been struggling isn't just because it loses players, but also because it has issues getting new players. Why? It's not because it's "too easy", but because to someone who walks in with nothing, the game is incredibly daunting. The AH is so inflated that just buying basic crafts are impossible for someone just starting out, thus you have to collect as much as you can yourself. The level curve has been lowered, but still takes ages. Bag space is a huge issue unless you find someone willing to make you bags.

Yes, things like dungeons are faster, but that is only because you are likely to get grouped with a whole team decked out in Heirlooms who only see you as a liability, thus cementing the "Why am I playing this I can't even do anything" feeling that retail imposes on new players. This is why they added the "hey have a free main!" boost each expansion. Has not worked though since it just thrusts a newbie into a world they don't understand instead.

As for leveling, it does feel more meaty since you ding less, but the curve itself is always adjusted so that whether you are leveling to 60 or 120, it's supposed to take the same amount of time. Since you have half the levels each level does have that more meaty feel but the time it takes to reach cap in either game is about the same. It's why people have already been hitting 60 and we even have a guild that already killed Ragnaros and Onyxia in the first week, something many people thought was going to be impossible, because they forget how much more knowledge people have about working around classics old mechanics.

We can agree to disagree, but as someone that has played WoW since the original alpha test and have a wolf rider on my desk for never missing a sub-payment, people kind of forget how these things sort of go. I am glad you are having fun with what it is right now, hopefully it can stay that way.

Be aware guys that the only reason things "mean more" right now is because it's fresh and untouched. Like any MMO, it's going to drop into the usual places at some point once you don't have anything else to do and you equip most of the best gear and have nothing to spend your gold on.
I do wonder about this. After a year or so when those that want to be 60 are, and those that want to raid are through everything, and those that don’t, have been through as much as they can, where does it go.
I don’t know, but I know I’m having fun for now, and that’s what matters.
Vanilla private servers have been around for years though, and they always seem to keep going with new ones popping up all the time.

Vanilla private servers have been around for years though, and they always seem to keep going with new ones popping up all the time.
Many of those do some fan adjustments or events to keep things fresh, plus pretty much all of them are free. Since Classic technically has a fee, shared with retail, it will be interesting to see how it does in the long run. Will it be viable to keep paying a couple bucks a month when you defeat Naxxramas and have no addition content additions planned for the future? Be interesting to see.

Many of those do some fan adjustments or events to keep things fresh, plus pretty much all of them are free. Since Classic technically has a fee, shared with retail, it will be interesting to see how it does in the long run. Will it be viable to keep paying a couple bucks a month when you defeat Naxxramas and have no addition content additions planned for the future? Be interesting to see.
That’s the big unanswered question, what are the long term plans. I’m guessing it really hinges on how popular it is, and so far it has well exceeded what blizzard has thought it would do.
They have a few options. Leave it as is and let it be classic. Add content for more things to do. Or continue on with the progression of TBC, and possibly WotLK.
They all have their down sides, but for now people are enjoying it for what it is.

My biggest turn off for Classic is that I saw and did it all when it came out, so the magic is gone. The nostalgia for it just doesn't exist for me. (except for the Tirion questline which is still the best)

It's been a week and Onyxia has already been killed once because everyone already knows how to do it. It's not the same.