[PC Game] World of Warcraft: Catch All Thread

That actually does sound kind of dumb. It's going to destroy force cohesion if the guys you usually count on to support you are suddenly pugging for the other side.
In the long run it's a fix to one of the numerous issues with Ashran. Queue times could be insanely long due to faction imbalance so this does fix that, at least. Generally long wait times in BGs/Ashran means one side's got a lot more people queueing than the other (an ongoing area like Ashran means one side is going to be steamrolling the other), so people won't suddenly pop from one side of the fight to the other if I'm understanding it right. To be fair, though, I've been out of WoW since the start of 6.1, so it's possible I'm off-base here.

The main issue people seem to have is tied between lore (I mean really?) and racials, which people have bitched about since Vanilla PvP.

That actually does sound kind of dumb. It's going to destroy force cohesion if the guys you usually count on to support you are suddenly pugging for the other side.
You can't just go "pop" and you are on the other side. Once you queue up and enter the BG you are part of that faction for the rest of the match.

I don't really think that will be an issue. Cross realm and Auto looking for group tools combined already did that. The people that I played in Ashran and BGs for the longest time were faceless Red vs Blue. Usually never were paired with the same people twice in a row or at least notable ones where their loss would make or break cohesion. IMO only time you are going to get a good sense of fantasy patriotism is when you have to queue with your own server, not cluster server. And better yet have to manually make groups. Usually once 'The Machine" starts doing the organization work for people in MMOs players social skills also go down. Happened in DaoC and happened in WoW.

Well they did start the whole "in game cash for game time" thing this expansion, but you need to have the in game gold to start with. Can you use the auction house on a capped at 20 account?

WoD was both a full-price expansion and the smallest expansion to date. Folks are pretty disappointed, to me it seems even more than they were with Cataclysm. Blizz is going to have to deliver hard to get real traction with anyone not suffering from MMO Stockholm Syndrome.

I've been playing a bit of WoW again lately since my video card died, I'm on a borrowed machine for gaming purposes at this time which had windows and in an intoxicated moment I said, eh, why not give it a try again.

It took me a week about to go from 85 to 90 in Pandaria, don't have WoD but it seems they gave me a free upgrade to Pandaria when I resubbed. And... it's different. There's barely any social any more. Maybe it's the time I play, maybe it's the lack of WoD, but I would honestly consider an alternative if I could find one. Something honestly closer to Everquest old rather than WoW new. Back before they "fixed" things...

Nope, both types of games really come down to having a core of friends if you want to enjoy the social aspect. In both the case of WoW and EQ, no matter how much I liked playing by myself once and a while, once it was only my husband and I playing together with no option to play with other friends I just completely lost interest. In both cases when my raiding guilds broke up. I mean, I sought them out (more like stumbled into them because I made the right acquaintances), but once it burned out I never had the desire to actively seek out other guilds.

Eh, as much as I've enjoyed the WoW over time, I think I'm pretty much done. I liked Warlords a lot for 3 months and then stopped caring, and nothing in that trailer actually seems interesting. I absolutely don't dislike the game, it's just there's nothing to grab me in it anymore.

Demon Hunter sounds neat, Artifacts could be fun, Class Halls has me intrigued, but I wonder what they're doing to Honor/PvP? I found myself really having fun in BGs towards the end of my playtime.

All in all I'm curious but not excited, hard to be after WoD let me down so badly.

Demon Hunter sounds neat, Artifacts could be fun, Class Halls has me intrigued, but I wonder what they're doing to Honor/PvP? I found myself really having fun in BGs towards the end of my playtime.
The new PVP system is basically a personal ranking system that rewards PVP only abilities. As you gain ranks you open new abilities and earn talent points to pick and choose which of those abilities you want to have out of the tree. If you really want to push yourself you can also enter "prestige" mode at Honor Level 50 and basically reset all your PVP talents, forcing you back to Honor Level 1, but allowing you to gain new cosmetic items like a unique artifact skin or even a UI badge as you level up through the ranks again.

The new PVP system is basically a personal ranking system that rewards PVP only abilities. As you gain ranks you open new abilities and earn talent points to pick and choose which of those abilities you want to have out of the tree. If you really want to push yourself you can also enter "prestige" mode at Honor Level 50 and basically reset all your PVP talents, forcing you back to Honor Level 1, but allowing you to gain new cosmetic items like a unique artifact skin or even a UI badge as you level up through the ranks again.
Shit, that sounds cool. The PvP-only skills work out nicely in FFXIV.

A new Hero class. I was wondering if they were ever going to do that again or if they felt the Hero class was a mistake.
I'm under whelmed by the video, but I'll read a little more before getting excited or Meh.

WoW looks so chunky now.
was it always that way?

And wait, didn't you already deal with the burning legion?

Burning Legion's been "dealt with" multiple times, but they're the big bad of the WoW Universe in that we kind of slapfight them here and there, but never really win.

Burning Legion's been "dealt with" multiple times, but they're the big bad of the WoW Universe in that we kind of slapfight them here and there, but never really win.
/pushes up his nerd glasses

Lorewise, this is completely intentional. Sargeras is basically the satan of the WoW universe, so as long as he exists, the burning legion will always be a threat. That is until the other titans come back, kill him off and then try to destroy Azeroth to get rid of the taint of him and the old gods.

I mean, at least this time they just dropped it right there at the first reveal that the Legion is the big bad. No red herring shit like WoD making you think you're fighting the main xpac villains only to steamroll most of them outside of raids.

I mean, at least this time they just dropped it right there at the first reveal that the Legion is the big bad. No red herring shit like WoD making you think you're fighting the main xpac villains only to steamroll most of them outside of raids.
The problem with WoD was that Grommash WAS the planned big bad.

At some point after they already made the expansion and couldn't really go back, they decided they didn't want Grom to be the last boss, and felt Gul'dan was a better villain and a better transition into the Legion expansion, so they pretty much scrapped Tanaan and redid it to what we have now, hand waving Grommash to being on our side all of a sudden. It really fucked with the flow, and made it so a lot of things couldn't be resolved ("Hey Yrel, sorry I slaughtered thousands of your people by my own choice back when I had Gul'dan as a slave, but we beat him up NOW so.... we cool?"), but it is what it is. Hopefully they learned a lesson on that.

WoW looks so chunky now.
was it always that way?

And wait, didn't you already deal with the burning legion?
Yes, now it's just a not so burning rash, I swear.

./facepalm

sorry, this is my go to joke about the burning legion for forever. The name has never sat well with me...

Weirdly enough, one of the most sought after features coming in the expansion was never even mentioned in the trailer or the feature reveal, but only appeared on a promotional image.

Upgraded Transmogrification System.

You no longer need to keep an item to know it's "look", instead the look being saved to you. You can then setup "sets" with those looks that you can switch from.

Also, huge news for all those hunter players out there, but hunters are getting a huge spec reboot. Beast Mastery is the only one that seems to be planned to be the same, but Marksman is losing the pet (making them a focused range only spec) and Survival is becoming MELEE. (Yes, you heard that right, hunter are going to have a melee spec that uses spears / polarms)

Weirdly enough, one of the most sought after features coming in the expansion was never even mentioned in the trailer or the feature reveal, but only appeared on a promotional image.

You no longer need to keep an item to know it's "look", instead the look being saved to you. You can then setup "sets" with those looks that you can switch from.

Also, huge news for all those hunter players out there, but hunters are getting a huge spec reboot. Beast Mastery is the only one that seems to be planned to be the same, but Marksman is losing the pet (making them a focused range only spec) and Survival is becoming MELEE. (Yes, you heard that right, hunter are going to have a melee spec that uses spears / polarms)
Melee hunter is back, baby!

If they toss in the option to throw those spears/polearms, then I'd be down for making a Headhunter again. I know a lot of the Troll RPers were fairly upset when they lost their throwing axes and had to settle for throwing weapons every once in awhile (in full plate, as warriors)... but you give me a set built around using a spear AND let me throw it? Then Headhunters are back and the RP community will be pretty happy.

Ok, I love this. I finally got around to farming all the dark iron I needed to be able to craft a full dark iron suit just because I still love that look but have several other pieces I'd like to have a suit to be able to swap back and forth from occasionally. I also miss my Roleplay server....

If they toss in the option to throw those spears/polearms, then I'd be down for making a Headhunter again. I know a lot of the Troll RPers were fairly upset when they lost their throwing axes and had to settle for throwing weapons every once in awhile (in full plate, as warriors)... but you give me a set built around using a spear AND let me throw it? Then Headhunters are back and the RP community will be pretty happy.
I doubt Blizzard cares about the RP community.