Export thread

Would you go into space?

BoringMetaphor

Were talking about right now, with fairly safe technology, though some risk. I would in a heartbeat. I have asked my friends this though, and some absolutely refuse. Which I cant understand! Why would you not want to see the earth from space, even at some risk?

Dave

Dave

A very Important Question

Anyone that says no is a damned fool or a liar.

Chazwozel

I would sign up to the Federation in a heartbeat. If I had the right stuff, I'd be an astronaut right now. Unfortunately, the right stuff consists of a smaller chance of being an astronaut than being a goalie for the NHL.

Hylian

Hylian

If I had the opportunity I would so jump at the chance to go into space.

Chazwozel

I actually applied for an astronaut position at NASA; never got the call back :( I figured I was a good candidate. I meet the requirements of having a bachelors degree and 3 years scientific experience (to them a PhD = 3 years experience), and I'm in relatively good shape and young. CURSE YOU NASA!!!!!!!!!!!!! YOU AND YOUR FUCKING NAVY TEST PILOTS!!!!!!!!

Baerdog

Baerdog

Heck yes I would go into space.

Alucard

Fuckin yes I would. If there were something like the Federation today. I'd totally join.
Or help colonize the solar system. That would be a cool adventure.

Chazwozel

Really who wouldn't go into space? Are you that afraid of dying that you'd miss out on the experience that only a handful of people have ever done?

Dave

Dave

I'd totally go see Uranus.

Chazwozel

Fuckin yes I would. If there were something like the Federation today. I'd totally join.
Or help colonize the solar system. That would be a cool adventure.

Everyday, I wake up wishing that it was the 23rd century.

---------- Post added at 11:43 AM ---------- Previous post was at 11:42 AM ----------

I'd totally go see Uranus.

Dude, I sent you those pictures last week. Gaaaaaawdd/

BoringMetaphor

A bunch of my friends said they either wouldn't be able to handle the small shuttle space, or didn't want to die in orbit/it was too dangerous, or had no interest at all in seeing earth from space. One said she wouldn't want to waste all the resources it takes to put someone in space (environmental reasons I guess).

North_Ranger

North_Ranger

I might, but frankly I've never really been too big on the whole space exploration thing. Nonetheless yes, I would like to glimpse at the world from space.

Colonize other planets, however... not before they bring saunas and non-tofu meat to Mars :p

SpecialKO

SpecialKO

I interpret "if you could" as having whatever major issues I might have (cost, environmental concerns, safety, etc) as being reasonably addressed. In which case...why the hell wouldn't I?!

BoringMetaphor

What issues do you have? I mean besides the obvious one of maybe dying in a unforgiving cold void.

GasBandit

GasBandit

Anybody who says no to this question needs to put a gun to their head, because they're already tired of life.

Chazwozel

Anybody who says no to this question needs to put a gun to their head, because they're already tired of life.

Exactly. They're a waste of fucking carbon and water.

Chibibar

Well.... some people thinks Earth is the "center" of the world. The idea that it is not or there are actually other planets and GASP.. a real moon!!! (remember the old "is there really a moon controversy?") http://www.revisionism.nl/Moon/The-Mad-Revisionist.htm

as for me, if it is possible and safe and I qualify, HECK YEA!!! I would love to go into space.

Chazwozel

Well.... some people thinks Earth is the "center" of the world. The idea that it is not or there are actually other planets and GASP.. a real moon!!! (remember the old "is there really a moon controversy?") http://www.revisionism.nl/Moon/The-Mad-Revisionist.htm

as for me, if it is possible and safe and I qualify, HECK YEA!!! I would love to go into space.[/QUOTE]

I wouldn't give a shit if it was safe or as dangerous as it is currently (which is still pretty safe and dependable), I'd rather die knowing I'm doing something that other people only dream about than living a vapid existence on Earth in my safe little house simply existing and taking up carbon and water.

MindDetective

MindDetective

To simply see Earth from orbit? no. If it was for some better purpose than that? sure!

Chibibar

as for me, if it is possible and safe and I qualify, HECK YEA!!! I would love to go into space.[/QUOTE]

I wouldn't give a shit if it was safe or as dangerous as it is currently (which is still pretty safe and dependable), I'd rather die knowing I'm doing something that other people only dream about than living a vapid existence on Earth in my safe little house simply existing and taking up carbon and water.[/QUOTE]

heh. I personally would love to go up and come back and talk about it :) but due to my current health and well.... weight issues, I am no where NEAR qualify for NASA in its current form. hence the safe part for me :)

Now if it Star Trek level, sure... beam me up Scotty!

Kitty Sinatra

Can I bring my wife along? I dress up as Kirk, she as a green alien, and we'd fuck in space. It'd really help the marriage.

Wasabi Poptart

I'm a fool then. I have no desire to go into space. Pictures are good enough for me. I'm not so fond of planes (not scared to fly but I don't enjoy it either) or rollercoasters (motion sickness is not a fun time), so I can only imagine what rocketing into space would be like. Thanks, but no.

Now, going into the Marianas Trench? Oh hell yes!!

Seraphyn

Seraphyn

Fuck yeah I would. I would go now, but I'd never make it into any space program sadly.

Dave

Dave

I'm a fool then. I have no desire to go into space. Pictures are good enough for me. I'm not so fond of planes (not scared to fly but I don't enjoy it either) or rollercoasters (motion sickness is not a fun time), so I can only imagine what rocketing into space would be like. Thanks, but no.

Now, going into the Marianas Trench? Oh hell yes!![/QUOTE]

But....but you are a female robot who flies around in space, maneuvering although you have no visible propulsion!

Shannow

Shannow

One of these days....

Espy

Espy

No way. Space, sure, Going that far down into water terrifies me. I don't get claustrophibic but when I even think about being on a submarine and going down into one of those super deep trenches I just... :aaahhh:

GasBandit

GasBandit

It'd actually be closer to the high-G spinning wheel ride than a rollercoaster. You get squished back into your seat really really hard... and then eventually that goes away and you float around weightless. That last part would probably be harder on you than the actual rocketing, as it feels like you're perpetually falling (which you really rather are).

Rob King

Rob King

I think it hit me how crazy our level of progress as a human race was when I looked through the classifieds of the Globe & Mail one day last summer. I had known that the Canadian Space Agency was looking for two new astronauts, but when I saw the ad in the goddamn Newspaper, that was the day that I fully appreciated that we lived in the future.

I wish to God I had the foresight to cut that ad out and keep it.

Shannow

Shannow

SEAQUEST!!

LordRavage

No way. Space, sure, Going that far down into water terrifies me. I don't get claustrophibic but when I even think about being on a submarine and going down into one of those super deep trenches I just... :aaahhh:[/QUOTE]

Plus all the giant squid that lurk there.....in the dark.....waiting....

Denbrought

Denbrought

In a heartbeat, I'm big on human expansion in the universe. S'all in the plan for the new Empire.

Also, where's our Grue option for the poll? ;_;

North_Ranger

North_Ranger

Also, where's our Grue option for the poll? ;_;
He is waiting in the darkness of space, waiting for our juicy selves to propel ourselves to orbit.

bhamv3

bhamv3

What would I do in space? Float around and look at the Earth from orbit? Just basically be a space tourist? Then I probably wouldn't go. I guess I've never been someone to want to do something just because it's new or cool.

If my trip to space would be for some higher purpose, if I could make a meaningful contribution from space, then much like MindDetective I'd definitely go.

Kitty Sinatra

I'm of mixed feelings regarding Grue options in polls. On the one hand, a vote for grue is a vote for me and that's good for my ego; on the other hand, I feel obligated to vote for the grue option, which makes my participation pointless . . . but then my participation in any thread is pointless, so I guess I'm all for grue options.

Alucard

Boooo. Dude you know how pounds per square inch of pressure you get when you go down in those depths?
Your basically in a fucking soda can ready to implode at any minute.

Space has far more valuable mineral resources than we probably know about right now. Wouldn't you help explore space
and find valuable resources there? You could please the environmentalist hippies and wackos.

Chazwozel

What would I do in space? Float around and look at the Earth from orbit? Just basically be a space tourist? Then I probably wouldn't go. I guess I've never been someone to want to do something just because it's new or cool.

If my trip to space would be for some higher purpose, if I could make a meaningful contribution from space, then much like MindDetective I'd definitely go.
Well by that logic you shouldn't go anywhere. Ever. Just go to work and sit at home, day in and day out.

bhamv3

bhamv3

Well by that logic you shouldn't go anywhere. Ever. Just go to work and sit at home, day in and day out.[/QUOTE]

That's pretty much what I do, yeah.

GasBandit

GasBandit

What would I do in space? Float around and look at the Earth from orbit?
What would I do in Europe? Just look at a bunch of old buildings and get yelled at by smelly people? Then I probably wouldn't go. :twisted:

Edit - damn, Chaz beat me to it. Didn't see there was a second page.

Chazwozel

Well by that logic you shouldn't go anywhere. Ever. Just go to work and sit at home, day in and day out.[/QUOTE]

That's pretty much what I do, yeah.[/QUOTE]

Dude... don't take this personally, you can live how ever you deem to be fit. But I did that, I'd have jumped off a bridge long ago.

North_Ranger

North_Ranger

What would I do in Europe? Just look at a bunch of old buildings and get yelled at by smelly people? Then I probably wouldn't go. :twisted:
Gas, you've never made me happier than you have now :p

bhamv3

bhamv3

Dude... don't take this personally, you can live how ever you deem to be fit. But I did that, I'd have jumped off a bridge long ago.[/QUOTE]

No offense taken, I know my lifestyle isn't for everybody, and I know that there will be people who look upon it with scorn. But if I cared, I wouldn't have posted. :)

Anyway, I personally would probably not go into space just to stare at the Earth from orbit.

SpecialKO

SpecialKO

I think it's reasonable to have some concerns about how much it costs, danger to your life, etc., but the poll doesn't say, "If NASA could send you up right now, with no training, no safety measures, no space suit, on a 30 year-old, poorly-serviced space shuttle that randomly interchanges imperial and metric calculations in its navigation system and runs solely on the unsanctified blood of ten thousand abandoned puppies, would you do it?"

The way it's phrased, I can assume that the puppies will at least be sanctified.

MindDetective

MindDetective

No, by that logic he would do something meaningful on Earth instead of spending an hour in orbit in first gen space tourist technology. He didn't say (in this post, at least) he would do anything, just not anything for the sake of having done it. Hedonism seems like an empty goal, really.

Hylian

Hylian

While I would still go into space given the opportunity. I must say other than that i don't really have much desire to go and explore places. I am content to go to work and come home. Sure I go out on occasions with friends but I like my home and I find it restful to be there.

Chazwozel

No, by that logic he would do something meaningful on Earth instead of spending an hour in orbit in first gen space tourist technology. He didn't say (in this post, at least) he would do anything, just not anything for the sake of having done it. Hedonism seems like an empty goal, really.[/QUOTE]

I'm not advocating hedonism as a life philosophy, but if you get an opportunity to do something that you've never done before, you should take it. If someone came into my lab right now and offered me a free skydiving trip, I'd flip my boss off and tell him I'd be back tomorrow morning.

Captain Kirk fo' life!

rabbitgod

Yeah, I'd be all up in that vacuum.

GasBandit

GasBandit

Gas, you've never made me happier than you have now :p[/QUOTE]

Are all europeans oblivious to sarcasm, or just the extremely smelly scandinavian ones?

Chazwozel

Are all europeans oblivious to sarcasm, or just the extremely smelly scandinavian ones?[/QUOTE]

Finland's not a part of real Europe. They're kinda like a northern Turkey.

MindDetective

MindDetective

No, by that logic he would do something meaningful on Earth instead of spending an hour in orbit in first gen space tourist technology. He didn't say (in this post, at least) he would do anything, just not anything for the sake of having done it. Hedonism seems like an empty goal, really.[/QUOTE]

I'm not advocating hedonism as a life philosophy, but if you get an opportunity to do something that you've never done before, you should take it. If someone came into my lab right now and offered me a free skydiving trip, I'd flip my boss off and tell him I'd be back tomorrow morning.

Captain Kirk fo' life![/QUOTE]

Well, I question that new opportunities should be taken, as if requisite. Why? Yes, new experiences and all that but that doesn't seem to justify making it a must do kind of thing.

(Off to class I go...)

Kitty Sinatra

runs solely on the unsanctified blood of ten thousand abandoned puppies, would you do it?"
There's puppy sacrifice involved? Then my answer changes to *purrrrrrr*

Chibibar

I'm with Chaz on this one. If someone offer me free skydiving, space exploration or something like that. I would go do it. Mainly such things can get pretty expensive and I have to plan ahead to do it myself (someday) there is NO way I can afford a space flight on my budget :)

North_Ranger

North_Ranger

Are all europeans oblivious to sarcasm, or just the extremely smelly scandinavian ones?[/QUOTE]

Not anymore than bean-fed Texans are to the significance of modern-day pictograms, or 'smilies' as people often call them.

Also, for your information, I smell frickin' fine :p

Baerdog

Baerdog

Okay, my new goal is to make my space jaunt extra-hedonistic. We're talking caviar and champagne while playing croquet on an EVA level hedonism.

It will be glorious.

GasBandit

GasBandit

Not anymore than bean-fed Texans are to the significance of modern-day pictograms, or 'smilies' as people often call them.

Also, for your information, I smell frickin' fine :p[/QUOTE]

You're mixing your stereotypes - beans are for mexicans. Texans are all about meat. Apparently, their own feces are for the finnish. "smiley face." ;)

North_Ranger

North_Ranger

Finland's not a part of real Europe. They're kinda like a northern Turkey.
I would challenge that opinion if I could actually believe you capable of finding Finland on a map :p

---------- Post added at 11:01 PM ---------- Previous post was at 10:59 PM ----------

You're mixing your stereotypes - beans are for mexicans. Texans are all about meat. Apparently, their own feces are for the finnish. "smiley face." ;)
Texas, Mexico, what's the difference? You can't see the fence from space ;)

Chazwozel

I'm not from South Carolina.

GasBandit

GasBandit

Texas, Mexico, what's the difference? You can't see the fence from space ;)[/QUOTE]

Actually, you can. it's called the RIO GRANDE RIVER, mister uneducated stinky hairball. "smiley face." ;)

Alucard

Um guys get back on topic.

*jabs the intercom button* "Detail security we have a local disturbance in the immediate vicinity" "Set phasers to stun. If they show resistance. Extreme force is permitted."

Frank

Frankie Williamson

Would I go to space? Fuck yes.

Chazwozel

Um guys get back on topic.

*jabs the intercom button* "Detail security we have a local disturbance in the immediate vicinity" "Set phasers to stun. If they show resistance. Extreme force is permitted."
Also permitted, sex with any sexy green aliens.

GasBandit

GasBandit

Chad Sexington

Garbledina

I'm not so interested in space, but I'd leap at the chance to be on another planet. Of course I'd go if someone was going to take me into space anyways, really.

So I guess what I'm trying to say here is "yes".

CynicismKills

CynicismKills

I would jump at the chance, I've wanted to see Earth from orbit since I was like, 3. To actually see for myself the billions of stars, the surface of the moon, and who knows what else.

North_Ranger

North_Ranger

In all honesty, besides the notions that I'm not in the physical fitness to go to space and the fact that any number of things could go wrong once in space, there's one horror that nobody's mentioned:

Taking a dump in space.

Gusto

Gusto

I have been watching far too much TNG lately to say anything other than hell and damn yes.

Dusty668

Hell yes, They wouldn't even need to bring me back.

BoringMetaphor

This is the sort of response I was hoping for

Nuts to those people who refuse eh

Krisken

Krisken

Fuck that noise. I don't even care for leaving the house. You kids can go play in space. I have everything I want right here.

HCGLNS

HCGLNS

I would definately go. The only downside I forsee, might be how I view things after the trip. I'm as hoopy as the next frood, but I don't want to drink a pangalactic gargle blaster if I can help it.

Alucard

Too keep in tandem in with the theme of this thread posting this.
Know its Enterprise but I get chills every time I watch it.

David

David

I must say that were I an eccentric billionaire, a good chuck of my money would go towards research into warp drive technology so I could go forth and boldly bang hot alien chicks that no man has banged before.

Either that or an Ironman-style robosuit. If I ever become a billionaire I'll update you guys on what kind of eccentric I become.

Vagabond

V.Bond

Of course I would.

Space is the place.

Alucard

Space is the place to be

Kitty Sinatra

Well. I just saw a CSI: Miami episode about commercial space flights! How coincidental.

Baerdog

Baerdog

twitchmoss

twitchmoss

fuck yes. without a moments hesitation.

sixpackshaker

sixpackshaker

I actually applied for an astronaut position at NASA; never got the call back :( I figured I was a good candidate. I meet the requirements of having a bachelors degree and 3 years scientific experience (to them a PhD = 3 years experience), and I'm in relatively good shape and young. CURSE YOU NASA!!!!!!!!!!!!! YOU AND YOUR FUCKING NAVY TEST PILOTS!!!!!!!!
If anything you are way too young. Most of the guys going up now are in their late 40's to mid 50's. That would mean that most of these guys are around 40 when they hire on.

Chazwozel

If anything you are way too young. Most of the guys going up now are in their late 40's to mid 50's. That would mean that most of these guys are around 40 when they hire on.[/QUOTE]

I would imagine a younger astronaut would be more desirable. Oh well. I still got my hopes up for the FBI special agent phase I exam in a couple weeks (if I was gung-ho on actually following through on that anyway).

sixpackshaker

sixpackshaker

Yes the Feds want you young, and want you out by time you are 50. I was sad when I hit the age that I could no longer apply to the FBI.

Joe Johnson

If it was science fantasy sort of space, then yes (nice comfy spaceship, artificial gravity, cool places to visit). If we're talking reality and right now, no way. I'd end up being sick the entire time, which would not be fun.

Calleja

Calleja

I'm in, all the way, current conditions or not. I'd never pass up something like this.

ThatNickGuy

ThatNickGuy

I don't know. Probably not. I'm nervous enough flying.

CynicismKills

CynicismKills

I wouldn't be able to resist seeing things like:

in person instead of through pictures/film.

Chibibar

I am taking a bunch of college kids to NASA again in 2 months (part of NASA initiative to get new students into the program like scientist and such) We did get to see the training pool (one of the largest in the U.S.) it is pretty awesome. They say while training in the pool give you the feel the weightlessness, but in space there is no "pressure" like you have while you are 20-30 feet under water.

I would not pass this up if I am fit to go.

Philosopher B.

Space is the raddest. I would love to experience zero gravity. That shit looks like a trip.

Chazwozel

Not only would I go into space, I'd do it naked and painted orange.

Denbrought

Denbrought

Not only would I go into space, I'd do it naked and painted orange.
Then you'd come back down and proclaim that Earth girls are easy.