[MMO] WoW 4.3 Is Here.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Skyrim is going to be on the backburner now for a good few weeks.

Transmog has me running tons of dungeons/raids/pvp for some nice gear sets.
The new Heroics have me loregasming all over the place.
LFR will finally get me back into the raiding scene without having to play 8hrs a night 6 days a week.

Hell. Yes.

I could have typed more about how before Skyrim I was actually really looking forward to WoW and had recently gotten back into it but I am once again re-snapped out of it, but I didn't.

I'm just poking fun at you. I totally understand the underwhelmingness for alot of people for WoW with the amazingly fantastic games out there right now: Skyrim, Saints Row, SWTOR etc, but WoW is still my "main" and after so many years I can finally not look like a mish mash of "epic gear" as well as take on Deathwing, it's pretty big for me.

I just got back into wow, but I have no max levels that I care to play, and now will be leveling anew on a new server, once I find one I like.

Faster outland leveling! Fuck yeah!

The only female member I ever wanted to bone was my trainer and she ended up more like my big sister.

Small review of the patch so far.

New Heroics - Extremely fun, they are not overly long, have some challenge, but don't feel too much like a wall. I would actually say they feel a bit easier then the troll heroics. The only thing that felt a bit strange is the difficulty curve. End Time actually feels more difficult then Well of Eternity, which felt a lot more difficult then Hour of Twilight, when it technically should have been the other way around. I hear the hardest boss of the new heroics is actually Sylvanas, who I didn't get to fight yesterday (End Time only has you fight two out of the four echos at random).

New Raid - Was unable to get a Raid Finder group going, but I heard the queues were having some issues, so I will have to review this later. From what I hear though the new "Tier" feels easier then Normal Firelands, but that many people feel the required item level for the difficulty is a bit high.

Transmogrification - My favorite part of the patch, I had collected a few gear sets, and they opened up a lot of my old favorite PVP sets from TBC (Just head to Area 52 to purchase them with honor). My only disappointment is they are not allowing us to use the lvl60 High Warlord/Grand Marshal gear with the system unless we have the Feat of Strength that shows we used to be of a higher rank in the original honor system, which I find really stupid. I hear they did it because old pvpers were complaining that everyone would get to use the sets and items. Same reason T3 is right now still missing. Still really stupid and old players need to get over it. ALL items should be open for this system if you ask me.

Void Storage - Meh, not really going to use it all that much. The cost for putting stuff in is a bit high (though, thankfully a lot cheaper then it used to be). I decided I am going to use it for items I may want to use for Transmogrification, but will not be part of my main Transmogrification sets. So for instance I made a great set on my Gnome Mage I will be keeping in my normal bank, but if I find another item that may be difficult to gain in the future, I will put it in the storage.

Darkmoon Isle - It has not appeared on Live yet, but I went there on the PTR. It is great fun with some cool rewards. Make sure you visit it at least once when it opens up next month just for the profession dailies and fun mini-games.

All-in-all, this is the best patch of the expansion and definitely gives me the same vibe as 3.3, which was when I played the most last year. It's really getting me back into leveling up a few of my alts I have ignored and maybe push up my tradeskills again. They still have not fixed a few underlying problems I have with the game, but I am hopeful those issues will be fixed with MoP.

Shannow

Staff member
Did LFG, got all three new instances out of the way quick yesterday afternoon. had fun in them, and enjoyed them. Ran LFR twice after those (second time I could not roll on loot, but I did get the tier gloves the first runt through), queues were prett ymuch instant, and it gave me a good idea of basic mechanics for the first four bosses before going to raid with the guild last night. All in all, LFR raids are nutso easy, but a good primer (the random groups were able to finish the 4 bosses in about 45 min or so each time). The second half of the raid should be opened for LFR next week.

I liked that I was able to use that experience towards the nights raid with my guild, and not go in blind. There were some difference, but major mechanics were in both, and made for a good transition. All in all, I am liking a lot with this patch ( though very good, transmog does leave a little to be desired).

I nerdgasm'd hard through all three LFD's last night. It was amazing watching the novels literally come to life in front of me and play a major part in the lore.

That said, I really wish there would have been some quest build up or something other than "oh three new dungeons in your que". Didn't feel remotely as epic as the Firelands opening.

@Scythe - I'd feel your pain about the PVP set restrictions but I already had the Warlord Feat from the Original Honor system ;) Transmog is everything I hoped it would be and as pathetic as this sounds, I found myself wishing there was MORE purchaseable Void Storage.......

Haven't tried LFR yet, letting it cool down and have people start learning the fights before I hop in and try tanking them.

I just don't think any gear should have restrictions. Like they don't let you Transmogrify Legendary items and those should have been one of the ones first open to the system, considering how difficult it can be to attain them in the first place. They were just worried that if they were open to the ability then everyone would farm the low-level legendary items and they would lose the "special" feeling, but how many people would actually do that? Not enough that I think it would actually make a noticable dent. I really don't see every rogue running around with Wargliaves of Azzinoth just because farming that place solo is a pain in the ass, you really need a tank and a healer, and even then a lot of time and patience to collect all the quest items. Hand of Ragnaros MAYBE, but if someone slogs through getting all the quest items, I think they deserve it.

The same goes for the lvl60 PVP items. Why? I can buy the items and wear them around town as I please, so why make the restriction? They don't even look that great. That in the end is my only solace, the fact that the TBC Gladiator items just look better anyways and are open to Transmog. The only reason I am really mad is I love the Horde bow, and wanted to use it on my Hunter (it was open to transmog on the PTR) only to find out on live that I couldn't. I will get over it though, since there are plenty of even cooler bows around. Right now collecting some of the Vengful sets by running a few battlegrounds.

Can I just add that Tyrael's Charger is freakin amazing?

As for non-transmoggable things, I agree on the Legendaries but honestly don't mind as I wouldn't use them anyway (doesn't fit my gear schemes) but I can definitely understand the frustration at some of the hardest items in the game not usable where we want them (I was pissed for a long time I couldn't use my AQ bug outside of AQ). I also imagine that people would want to Transmog the new Caster Legendary for a while as it's going to be outdated way sooner than it should.

S

Spoiler Alert

Spoiler Alert. The cinematic that appears when you kill Deathwing has been leaked.

Interesting stuff. The Cataclysm is over, the Hour of Twilight averted. The event had, somehow, fulfilled the charge of the Dragon Aspects, and thus they have lost their powers, becoming mortal dragons. Alexstrazsa reveals that Aggra is pregnant (god I wish she would just die already), and we get some speech about the coming of the Age of Mortals (Didn't Medivh already do this at the end of WarCraft 3?)

I can kind of see what they are attempting. Many people complained that the game strayed a bit from the focus on the mortal races and instead on a nearly Dragon Ball Z-style format of a new even more powerful super-villain showing up and other super powered people having to help us stop them. By depowering the Aspects and closing the door on the Hour of Twilight, they are basically saying that, for now, we are not going to have any more random powerful super-villains appear, instead focusing on the smaller enemies and events based around the mortal races. This will lead well into Mists of Pandaria, which will focus on exploration and adventure, and then lead into the next expansion after it, which they hinted is going to be all our Alliance versus Horde super war deathmatch.

Okay just to be forthright, that is me above. Stupid Chrome didn't save my account it seems and I didn't notice till I had already posted. My bad.

P

PotaDOS

I'm relieved that the new dungeons didn't seem as hard as the Troll heroics were when they were released.

Also did the first three raid bosses on "regular" difficulty last night. I didn't think they were too difficult, either, especially once we stopped doing one of them wrong (oops). Somewhat looking forward to doing them with the looking for raid feature soon.

After watching that spoiler of the ending, I was wondering about how Nozdormu...

how Nozdormu being the progenitor of the infinite dragonflight thing could possibly be handled, then I read about the new 5-man end time and I'm not gonna lie. That's fucking underwhelming for a storyline that's been brewing for 3 expansions.

After watching that spoiler of the ending, I was wondering about how Nozdormu...

how Nozdormu being the progenitor of the infinite dragonflight thing could possibly be handled, then I read about the new 5-man end time and I'm not gonna lie. That's fucking underwhelming for a storyline that's been brewing for 3 expansions.
I actually found it to be a decent ending, mostly because they have always been secondary villians. We learned they worked for the Old Gods and Deathwing in the Twilight of the Aspect novel, and that the reason they have been attempting so hard to break time is to prevent a supposedly worst future. Be aware that just because Nozdormu's future self is dead, that the Infinites themselves are not all dead. Considering Nozdormu lost his Aspect powers, his existence in End Time was probably only a bit above the strength of some of his experienced children, like Anachronos, who could still have future corrupted versions of themselves out there in the timeways.

Holy shit that's a terrible way to end the expansion. The video's bad, the voice acting is awful, and it's not even a compelling end to any of the storylines. I'm so, so glad I stopped playing.

Spoiler Alert. The cinematic that appears when you kill Deathwing has been leaked.

Interesting stuff. The Cataclysm is over, the Hour of Twilight averted. The event had, somehow, fulfilled the charge of the Dragon Aspects, and thus they have lost their powers, becoming mortal dragons. Alexstrazsa reveals that Aggra is pregnant (god I wish she would just die already), and we get some speech about the coming of the Age of Mortals (Didn't Medivh already do this at the end of WarCraft 3?)

I can kind of see what they are attempting. Many people complained that the game strayed a bit from the focus on the mortal races and instead on a nearly Dragon Ball Z-style format of a new even more powerful super-villain showing up and other super powered people having to help us stop them. By depowering the Aspects and closing the door on the Hour of Twilight, they are basically saying that, for now, we are not going to have any more random powerful super-villains appear, instead focusing on the smaller enemies and events based around the mortal races. This will lead well into Mists of Pandaria, which will focus on exploration and adventure, and then lead into the next expansion after it, which they hinted is going to be all our Alliance versus Horde super war deathmatch.
I hate their stupid dialogue. "The beginning of the beginning is beginning" is what she basically said.

So, does this all mean that a novelization of the events is coming? I've just started reading those seeing as I'll never actually see the raid content myself.

Why not? LFR raiding is easy mode. Most people can face palm through it and still see all the raid content.

The Shattering
Twilight of the Aspects
Wolfheart

Are pretty much all you'd have to read to understand what's happened since the Cataclysm till now.

I'm reading the books. I'm on The Shattering right now, but apparently I need to go back and read Stormrage first. I have an ungodly low gearscore, so I can't get into any raids, and besides, at this point, I'm far more interested in the lore than I am the game itself. That may change with Mists of Pandarea.

The full storyline process goes: Day of the Dragon, War of the Ancients Trilogy, then Stormrage then Shattering (there's books inbetween but those are the only essentials).

So far (in no particular order), I've read War of the Ancients, Day and Night of the Dragon, The Sunwell Trilogy (which I hated, BTW), Lord of the Clans, The last Guardian, and Of Blood and Honor. I'll be getting the e-book of Stormrage when I get home before moving back to The Shattering.

I do want to read Arthas and see how the novelization of the bulk of WC3 and TFT story turned out.

I do have to say that I totally geeked out the first time I went to Northrend and saw Krasus standing next to Alezstraza(I know, bad spelling).

Yeah I had the same reaction to seeing Rhonin in Dalaran and saw that the flight landing area was called "Krasus' Landing".

Arthas is a great read, it's basically playing WC3 TFT with all the extra bits of info that are missing filled in, like how Arthas and Jaina grew from childhood friends to lovers, how his relationship with Muradin and Uther started early and so many more great little tidbits. However it's not required for the reading to get you to the Shattering.q

I also love the fact that Vareesa is standing there with him. Day of the Dragon has been by far the best book I've read in the WoW lore, closely followed by Lord of the Clans because, y'know, Thrall is ten shades of awesome.

haha. It's like a complete rip off of Lord of the Rings.

So Azeroth is moving into the 4th age after its defeat of Sauron er Deathwing?

They already had me pretty much hooked, but I have to admit the new patch has brought me back to my pre-cataclysm enthusiasm. I usually can tell when I log on, collect all the crap I gathered on my characters, and load them all up on the auctioneer to sell. When I am not interested I let characters and what they have stagnant, but when I am very enthused I do some "character spring cleaning". I even find myself doing Archaeology since it's much easier to level, and that's impressive because I hated it when it came out.

Status
Not open for further replies.