Export thread

You know you're old...

strawman

strawman

Half my children are younger than Twitter.

Dei

Dei

How old is Twitter? I'm pretty sure all of my children are older than it. :p

DarkAudit

DarkAudit

All this talk of The Defenders, and I keep thinking of the old EG Marshall and Robert Reed series.

Gruebeard

Gruebeard

My bartender referred to Hootie and the Blowfish as old school.

Emrys

Emrys

I used to be able to buy a bottle of Coke from the vending machine for 25 cents.

HCGLNS

HCGLNS

I filled up the car for $10 and had change for a drink.

Ravenpoe

Ravenpoe

I used to be able to buy a bottle of Coke from the vending machine for 25 cents.
And it was 100% uncut cocaine, none of this sugar water crap.

Emrys

Emrys

And it was 100% uncut cocaine, none of this sugar water crap.
Damn straight! It's what made me the mermaid I am today.

HCGLNS

HCGLNS

I could walk to the store downtown and find enough change on the sidewalk for a comic book.

There were pay phones everywhere.

I used go go to a building to purchase music.

Cartoons were a Saturday morning treat.

You had to wait for the 9 to spin back around.

Nobody knew Darth Vader was Lukes father.

Daisy was a brunette.

PatrThom

PatrThom

You would wake up when the Star-Spangled Banner finally played.
You added foil to a television to make it work better.
You needed to get a converter box for your television...to add channels 14-83.
You had to search for place that still sold leaded gas.
Gas station signs only had 2 digits.
You ever climbed into your house through the milk chute because you forgot your keys.

--Patrick

Gruebeard

Gruebeard

This thread has morphed into "When I was young . . ."

So:

A Canadian hockey team last won the Cup.
The Patriots sucked. Bad. Like, the worst.
The Blue Jays were winners. Repeats, even
The Bills were winners, too. Sort of.

Celt Z

Celt Z

When the "Oldies" radio station is playing songs from when you were high school/college.

Officer_Charon

Officer_Charon

When the "Oldies" radio station is playing songs from when you were high school/college.
...... Just stop.

Squidleybits

Squidleybits

Purple Rain on a record...

it was perfect. And totally inappropriate for my parents to have given me at ten years old :)

Celt Z

Celt Z

...... Just stop.
Et tu, CBS FM?:cry:

I remember listening to it when we were setting up my sweet sixteen party, and it was fun because it was all songs from the 50's and 60's. Now, it's just...ouch. :(

HCGLNS

HCGLNS

My parents gave me a chemistry set for Christmas.

Dave

Dave

Hold my beer.

HCGLNS

HCGLNS

Hold my beer.
Is it in a stubby bottle?

Dave

Dave

Is it in a stubby bottle?
It's not that stubby.

HCGLNS

HCGLNS

It's not that stubby.
It's kinda stubby.

Emrys

Emrys

I'm confused. Should I yowza or not here?

Celt Z

Celt Z

I'm confused. Should I yowza or not here?
He said "beer", not "rear"! Ethel, check your hearing aid! ;)

Officer_Charon

Officer_Charon

Now, it's just...ouch. :(
I've taken to listening to Rewind 107.9 here, and my newest rookie said "I don't usually listen to this old stuff..."

..... Little girl, I will eat your soul.

Cheesy1

Cheesy1

My family's first VCR had a remote . . .

. . . attached by a six-foot cord to the main unit.

Dave

Dave

Party line phones. That is all.

PatrThom

PatrThom

Party line phones. That is all.
I considered mentioning that.
But it turns out they're still in use.

--Patrick

figmentPez

figmentPez

The other day I realized that there are adults who have had Cool Ranch Doritos exist for their entire lifetime.

DarkAudit

DarkAudit

The other day I realized that there are adults who have had Cool Ranch Doritos exist for their entire lifetime.
There used to be just Taco, Nacho Cheese, and Toasted Corn. AFAICR, Taco was the most prevalent back then, before it disappeared for a long time. Toasted Corn was hardly ever seen on store shelves.

PatrThom

PatrThom

Toasted Corn was hardly ever seen on store shelves.
...east of the Mississippi. I hear it's more common out west.

But we're also talking about people who not only have enjoyed Cool Ranch Doritos their entire life, but also Code Red/Live Wire/Pitch Black Mountain Dew.

--Patrick

figmentPez

figmentPez

Toasted Corn was hardly ever seen on store shelves.
Which is ironic since it was the original flavor and pre-dates Nacho Cheese by nearly a decade.[DOUBLEPOST=1503626059,1503625803][/DOUBLEPOST]Oh, and all the youngsters who have no idea why the saying says "you can't put toothpaste back in the tube". Most of them have probably never seen a metal toothpaste tube to realize the impossibility of getting anything back inside of it. Plastic tubes? It'd be pain, but you could do it; and it doesn't matter if you squeeze them from the middle, either.

Tinwhistler

Tinwhistler

My first tv had knobs. Clunk-clunk-clunk knobs for the channels. There were 2 of them, one for UHF and one for VHF channels. It was in black and white. But that didn't matter, because half of the shows on tv were black and white reruns anyway (bewitched, my three sons, etc). I think it was a 6" or 8" screen.

My first video game console was Pong. The original.

My first "remote" had a 5 pin cable running from it to the VCR.

My first online experiences were with a modem. My first modem was 300 baud, but it could do 50 baud if you wanted to connect it to TTY.

The first time I used a computer, it was a teletype machine--an electric typewriter attached to a mainframe with a serial cable. We played math games. We would patiently wait for the typewriter to type out a math problem, and then we would type the answer. I was one of two kids who ever saw that thing in my elementary school.

When I was a kid, all of the cereals still had "sugar" in the name: Sugar Corn Pops, Sugar Smacks, Sugar Frosted Flakes, Sugar Crisp.

The first rap song I ever heard, in junior high school, was White Lines by Grandmaster Flash. When I was in junior high, people actually had breakdance battles at teen clubs. I carried around a beatbox and cardboard around my neighborhood and would hook up with neighborhood kids to breakdance.

I remember when Cracker Jack actually had an actual toy surprise in them, and not some temporary tattoo or other paper product.

blotsfan

blotsfan

Last week, we visited my dad's friend. He has a kid in high school. I happened to bring up Y2K. He had to explain to his son what Y2K was. I felt old in a way that I've never felt before.

Emrys

Emrys

My gods, you people are old! ;)[DOUBLEPOST=1503629112,1503628632][/DOUBLEPOST]Awww, some old fogey needs a hug.

:hide:

Tinwhistler

Tinwhistler

lol, I wish I could put two ratings on posts...:p

Emrys

Emrys

lol, I wish I could put two ratings on posts...:p
There's your hug.

Tinwhistler

Tinwhistler

A few months before I was born, man first walked on the moon.

I was 2 when All in the Family started being broadcast on CBS.

The year I entered kindergarten, Microsoft was born. In elementary school, I voted for Jimmy Carter in a mock election, but didn't understand that it didn't count. I came home and told my mom that I voted for him and that I hoped she approved of my choice.

The year I started junior high, the Rubik's cube was invented, and the country was gripped by the Iran hostage crisis.

The year I started high school, Ma Bell got broken up into AT&T and regional telephone companies and the AIDS virus was discovered.

Krisken

Krisken

I went to buy a new car last week and was surprised there was no CD player.

PatrThom

PatrThom

I went to buy a new car last week and was surprised there was no CD player.
I'm still annoyed there's no way to turn the headlights completely OFF any more.

--Patrick

Gared

Gared

I'm still annoyed there's no way to turn the headlights completely OFF any more.

--Patrick
Huh. My two biggest complaints when it comes to the differences between my wife's car and mine (we both drive Ford Fusions, but mine is an '07 SEL Manual and hers is an '08 SE Automatic) are that hers has less headroom than mine because of the sunroof, and hers doesn't have the automatic light sensor installed to turn the headlights on when you go through a tunnel or at dusk.

DarkAudit

DarkAudit

Classmates of mine got married and are now the parents of not one, but two Eagle Scouts.

strawman

strawman

--Patrick
You can go to the dealer and for a fee they will disable daytime running lights. Unless they're jerks or incompetent. Well, that's true for Ford vehicles.

Ok, maybe your'e out of luck. Call the dealer anyway and check - it's all in software now, and they can do it, the question is whether they will do it and how much they'll charge you.

If it's an older vehicle all you need to do is find the daytime running lights relay or fuse and yank it.

Bubble181

Bubble181

....But why?

strawman

strawman

....But why?
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Daytime_running_lamp

Some countries require them. Some states in the US require lights on when windshield wipers are on and it is easier for the manufacturer to simply enable DRL for cars sold in those states. Some manufacturers simply have DRL on all their vehicles, while others have it on select models. A lot of commercial and fleet vehicle sales are to customers who require DRL.

So while the US doesn't require it, over time it's being adopted anyway.

That said, you can almost always get them disabled on a specific vehicle, it's just a matter of convincing your dealer to do it if it's a software setting in the vehicle's body controller, or removing the DRL relay if it's an older vehicle. The relay is usually in a fuse box and marked as the Daytime Running Lamp Relay in the manual.

These are run at a much lower brightness than low beams, so they don't usually impact headlight lifetime, and they do decrease accidents (though not enough that the federal government believes a mandate requiring them is reasonable, despite pretty heavy lobbying by GM and others)

Cog

Cog

When priests, actors and teachers are younger than you.

sixpackshaker

sixpackshaker

YKYO... when cops start looking like little boys.

My first day of teaching, a student called me Mr. [lastname], and I turned around and looked for my dad.

PatrThom

PatrThom

....But why?
Because there are times when I want my engine to be running BUT my headlights to be off.

--Patrick

drawn_inward

drawn_inward

--Patrick
We had a party line in the mid-90s. We would still be on it if we didn't move. Good 'ol rural Oklahoma.

I remember doing nuclear bomb drills at school. Early 80's Cold War era hysteria!

Bubble181

Bubble181

Because there are times when I want my engine to be running BUT my headlights to be off.

--Patrick
Well, sure, but, I mean, I have DRL, and I can switch them off if need be. Not while driving, admittedly, but why would you? While standing still, I can leave them on or manually turn them off.

Dave

Dave

When priests, actors and teachers are younger than you.
*psht* That's nothing. My DOCTORS are younger than me.

Dei

Dei

I mean, I'm no where near as old as dirt, and my doctors are older than me too. At least, my regular eye doctor is.

Bubble181

Bubble181

*psht* That's nothing. The medical profession is younger than me.

PatrThom

PatrThom

I'll bet the leeches are younger than him, too.

--Patrick

drawn_inward

drawn_inward

When my first baby was about to be delivered, I looked around the room and was about to ask where the real doctor was. Everyone looked like kids.

GasBandit

GasBandit

My "Classic Rock" station, the one I'm ostensibly in charge of, occasionally plays Pearl Jam.

Gared

Gared

Yeah, it was cool a few years back when they started playing late 80s rock around here, but significantly less cool when they started playing Nirvana and Pearl Jam.

Bubble181

Bubble181

Eh, I've heard Britney Spears on "Nostalgia Radio", so I've just given up.

fade

fade

--Patrick
The infrastructure is still there. From what I've read, it's actually one of the biggest engineering issues plaguing DSL.[DOUBLEPOST=1503679253,1503678983][/DOUBLEPOST]

--Patrick
Ratchet the handbrake up by one click. That will shut off the running lights, but it won't be enough to apply the actual brake.

sixpackshaker

sixpackshaker

...when PUNK ROCK is used to sell Cadillacs.

There is nothing like anti-consumer music used for the biggest status symbol made in America.

Gruebeard

Gruebeard

I've taken to listening to Rewind 107.9 here, and my newest rookie said "I don't usually listen to this old stuff..."

..... Little girl, I will eat your soul.
:unibrow:

GasBandit

GasBandit

When you go out to eat with your parents and grandparents, and the hostess asks "4 seniors and 1 adult?"

jwhouk

jwhouk

The Beatles were still recording music as a band when I was born.

I remember the last Moon landing, the first Space Shuttle flight, variety shows on tv, and HBO only broadcasting from about 5 to midnight.

Tinwhistler

Tinwhistler

I watch those Subaru commercials where the teen takes the minivan out for a drive in the rain, and I say to my wife "That kid looks like he's 12! what the hell?" :)

When I was a kid, we had "read along" books...superhero comics like spiderman or captain america. They came with a 45 record that you could play that would read the story to you.

PatrThom

PatrThom

When I was a kid, we had "read along" books...superhero comics like spiderman or captain america. They came with a 45 record that you could play that would read the story to you.
Don't forget all the Disney ones: "When you hear Tinkerbell, turn the page!"

--Patrick

Gruebeard

Gruebeard

Don't forget all the Disney ones: "When you hear Belle tinkle, turn the page!"

--Patrick
:Leyla:

GasBandit

GasBandit

"You will know it is time to turn the page when you hear R2D2 beep like this."

Dee-Dee-Dee-Dee, bwup BWAAP.

PatrThom

PatrThom

Anyone else here know what kind of animal a Moauvian waoul is?

@DarkAudit (and others): I used to have this album, and wondered if anyone else did, too.

--Patrick

Tinwhistler

Tinwhistler

I had that one! I recognized the cover immediately.

PatrThom

PatrThom

I had that one! I recognized the cover immediately.
There are quite a few albums I had as a kid that I want back. That's one of 'em, the other was titled something like "Steel Guitar Favorites" and had this song I would play over and over again.
Turned out decades later I discovered it was a cover of "Caravan."

--Patrick