[Thread Game] You know you're old...

I could walk to the store downtown and find enough change on the sidewalk for a comic book.

There were pay phones everywhere.

I used go go to a building to purchase music.

Cartoons were a Saturday morning treat.

You had to wait for the 9 to spin back around.

Nobody knew Darth Vader was Lukes father.

Daisy was a brunette.

You would wake up when the Star-Spangled Banner finally played.
You added foil to a television to make it work better.
You needed to get a converter box for your television...to add channels 14-83.
You had to search for place that still sold leaded gas.
Gas station signs only had 2 digits.
You ever climbed into your house through the milk chute because you forgot your keys.

--Patrick

This thread has morphed into "When I was young . . ."

So:

A Canadian hockey team last won the Cup.
The Patriots sucked. Bad. Like, the worst.
The Blue Jays were winners. Repeats, even
The Bills were winners, too. Sort of.

figmentPez

Staff member
The other day I realized that there are adults who have had Cool Ranch Doritos exist for their entire lifetime.

The other day I realized that there are adults who have had Cool Ranch Doritos exist for their entire lifetime.
There used to be just Taco, Nacho Cheese, and Toasted Corn. AFAICR, Taco was the most prevalent back then, before it disappeared for a long time. Toasted Corn was hardly ever seen on store shelves.

Toasted Corn was hardly ever seen on store shelves.
...east of the Mississippi. I hear it's more common out west.

But we're also talking about people who not only have enjoyed Cool Ranch Doritos their entire life, but also Code Red/Live Wire/Pitch Black Mountain Dew.

--Patrick

figmentPez

Staff member
Toasted Corn was hardly ever seen on store shelves.
Which is ironic since it was the original flavor and pre-dates Nacho Cheese by nearly a decade.[DOUBLEPOST=1503626059,1503625803][/DOUBLEPOST]Oh, and all the youngsters who have no idea why the saying says "you can't put toothpaste back in the tube". Most of them have probably never seen a metal toothpaste tube to realize the impossibility of getting anything back inside of it. Plastic tubes? It'd be pain, but you could do it; and it doesn't matter if you squeeze them from the middle, either.

My first tv had knobs. Clunk-clunk-clunk knobs for the channels. There were 2 of them, one for UHF and one for VHF channels. It was in black and white. But that didn't matter, because half of the shows on tv were black and white reruns anyway (bewitched, my three sons, etc). I think it was a 6" or 8" screen.

My first video game console was Pong. The original.

My first "remote" had a 5 pin cable running from it to the VCR.

My first online experiences were with a modem. My first modem was 300 baud, but it could do 50 baud if you wanted to connect it to TTY.

The first time I used a computer, it was a teletype machine--an electric typewriter attached to a mainframe with a serial cable. We played math games. We would patiently wait for the typewriter to type out a math problem, and then we would type the answer. I was one of two kids who ever saw that thing in my elementary school.

When I was a kid, all of the cereals still had "sugar" in the name: Sugar Corn Pops, Sugar Smacks, Sugar Frosted Flakes, Sugar Crisp.

The first rap song I ever heard, in junior high school, was White Lines by Grandmaster Flash. When I was in junior high, people actually had breakdance battles at teen clubs. I carried around a beatbox and cardboard around my neighborhood and would hook up with neighborhood kids to breakdance.

I remember when Cracker Jack actually had an actual toy surprise in them, and not some temporary tattoo or other paper product.

Last edited:
Last week, we visited my dad's friend. He has a kid in high school. I happened to bring up Y2K. He had to explain to his son what Y2K was. I felt old in a way that I've never felt before.

My gods, you people are old! ;)[DOUBLEPOST=1503629112,1503628632][/DOUBLEPOST]Awww, some old fogey needs a hug.

:hide: