[Thread Game] You know you're old...

A few months before I was born, man first walked on the moon.

I was 2 when All in the Family started being broadcast on CBS.

The year I entered kindergarten, Microsoft was born. In elementary school, I voted for Jimmy Carter in a mock election, but didn't understand that it didn't count. I came home and told my mom that I voted for him and that I hoped she approved of my choice.

The year I started junior high, the Rubik's cube was invented, and the country was gripped by the Iran hostage crisis.

The year I started high school, Ma Bell got broken up into AT&T and regional telephone companies and the AIDS virus was discovered.

I'm still annoyed there's no way to turn the headlights completely OFF any more.

--Patrick
Huh. My two biggest complaints when it comes to the differences between my wife's car and mine (we both drive Ford Fusions, but mine is an '07 SEL Manual and hers is an '08 SE Automatic) are that hers has less headroom than mine because of the sunroof, and hers doesn't have the automatic light sensor installed to turn the headlights on when you go through a tunnel or at dusk.

I'm still annoyed there's no way to turn the headlights completely OFF any more.

--Patrick
You can go to the dealer and for a fee they will disable daytime running lights. Unless they're jerks or incompetent. Well, that's true for Ford vehicles.

Ok, maybe your'e out of luck. Call the dealer anyway and check - it's all in software now, and they can do it, the question is whether they will do it and how much they'll charge you.

If it's an older vehicle all you need to do is find the daytime running lights relay or fuse and yank it.

....But why?
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Daytime_running_lamp

Some countries require them. Some states in the US require lights on when windshield wipers are on and it is easier for the manufacturer to simply enable DRL for cars sold in those states. Some manufacturers simply have DRL on all their vehicles, while others have it on select models. A lot of commercial and fleet vehicle sales are to customers who require DRL.

So while the US doesn't require it, over time it's being adopted anyway.

That said, you can almost always get them disabled on a specific vehicle, it's just a matter of convincing your dealer to do it if it's a software setting in the vehicle's body controller, or removing the DRL relay if it's an older vehicle. The relay is usually in a fuse box and marked as the Daytime Running Lamp Relay in the manual.

These are run at a much lower brightness than low beams, so they don't usually impact headlight lifetime, and they do decrease accidents (though not enough that the federal government believes a mandate requiring them is reasonable, despite pretty heavy lobbying by GM and others)

YKYO... when cops start looking like little boys.

My first day of teaching, a student called me Mr. [lastname], and I turned around and looked for my dad.

I considered mentioning that.
But it turns out they're still in use.

--Patrick
We had a party line in the mid-90s. We would still be on it if we didn't move. Good 'ol rural Oklahoma.

I remember doing nuclear bomb drills at school. Early 80's Cold War era hysteria!

Because there are times when I want my engine to be running BUT my headlights to be off.

--Patrick
Well, sure, but, I mean, I have DRL, and I can switch them off if need be. Not while driving, admittedly, but why would you? While standing still, I can leave them on or manually turn them off.

Yeah, it was cool a few years back when they started playing late 80s rock around here, but significantly less cool when they started playing Nirvana and Pearl Jam.

fade

Staff member
I considered mentioning that.
But it turns out they're still in use.

--Patrick
The infrastructure is still there. From what I've read, it's actually one of the biggest engineering issues plaguing DSL.[DOUBLEPOST=1503679253,1503678983][/DOUBLEPOST]

--Patrick
Ratchet the handbrake up by one click. That will shut off the running lights, but it won't be enough to apply the actual brake.

...when PUNK ROCK is used to sell Cadillacs.

There is nothing like anti-consumer music used for the biggest status symbol made in America.

The Beatles were still recording music as a band when I was born.

I remember the last Moon landing, the first Space Shuttle flight, variety shows on tv, and HBO only broadcasting from about 5 to midnight.

I watch those Subaru commercials where the teen takes the minivan out for a drive in the rain, and I say to my wife "That kid looks like he's 12! what the hell?" :)

When I was a kid, we had "read along" books...superhero comics like spiderman or captain america. They came with a 45 record that you could play that would read the story to you.

When I was a kid, we had "read along" books...superhero comics like spiderman or captain america. They came with a 45 record that you could play that would read the story to you.
Don't forget all the Disney ones: "When you hear Tinkerbell, turn the page!"

--Patrick

GasBandit

Staff member
"You will know it is time to turn the page when you hear R2D2 beep like this."

Dee-Dee-Dee-Dee, bwup BWAAP.

Anyone else here know what kind of animal a Moauvian waoul is?

@DarkAudit (and others): I used to have this album, and wondered if anyone else did, too.

--Patrick

Last edited:
I had that one! I recognized the cover immediately.
There are quite a few albums I had as a kid that I want back. That's one of 'em, the other was titled something like "Steel Guitar Favorites" and had this song I would play over and over again.
Turned out decades later I discovered it was a cover of "Caravan."

--Patrick