Your Nation/Continent/Ocean has a name with an origin.

Status
Not open for further replies.
I'm North American which also makes me American. Just as South Americans are Americans. America is still a continent, no matter how much you guys try to take over the name. (For instance, The International Olympic Committeehttp://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/International_Olympic_Committee considers "America" one of the five populated continents, as represented by the five rings on the Olympic flag.)

Also... my ancestors have been here for WAY longer than yours. So nyah nyah to your revolution.

Your ancestors are NOT Native Americans unless you're in the minority. Mexicans, on the other part, have half of their heritage rooted firmly in Aztec/Mayan/Chichimeca/What have you cultures. These guys were here way before Jamestown was founded. And the Spanish which are the other half of our heritage were here before your puritan ancestors, too.

All I'm saying with this is your "you should have had your revolution first" argument is a stupid one since we have more "claim" to the American name than you late-comers do. Independence or not.

I am a small part Native American, but I am likely more Native than you are. You were New Spain at the time of our Revolution, and we took the name of the continent because nobody else was using it. It is history, so lets build a bridge to the future, and get over it.

GasBandit

Staff member
I'm a Mexican AND an American, born and raised in North America. More than that.. I'm also a "Unitedstatesian" since the official name of Mexico is "United Mexican Sates" (Estados Unidos Mexicanos). So you don't even have THAT exclusivity going on for you.
Zeitgeist (which you used to define Soviet) says no. Nobody calls it "United Mexican States," they call it Mexico. They call its citizens Mexicans. You're not American, you're just a North American, but not as North American as an actual American ;)
Added at: 12:30
Your ancestors are NOT Native Americans unless you're in the minority. Mexicans, on the other part, have half of their heritage rooted firmly in Aztec/Mayan/Chichimeca/What have you cultures. These guys were here way before Jamestown was founded. And the Spanish which are the other half of our heritage were here before your puritan ancestors, too.

All I'm saying with this is your "you should have had your revolution first" argument is a stupid one since we have more "claim" to the American name than you late-comers do. Independence or not.
Sorry, it's not the first to be there, it's the first to make it count. That's why they call Marconi the father of radio instead of Tesla.

Okay Calleja. Let's pretend you go overseas to any country... we'll randomly choose France for this exercise. Tell people you are an American. Then, ask them to point on a map where your country is. I will give you $100 for every person who points to Mexico. For every person who points to the United States, you have to give me $1.

Which of us do you really think will have more money by the end of the day?

Um.. dude.. they would point to the continent. Not a country. Not Mexico. The continent. To the rest of the world, except maybe the UK, you're "the States", not "America".

Besides, Tress, I think you need to read up on this:http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Argumentum_ad_populum
Um... dude... language (such as our current example, the term "American") is decided entirely by popular opinion. That's the very nature of linguistics. So, your logical fallacy has no bearing here. A word's definition is decided entirely by whether or not most people use it a certain way.

But hey, thanks for playing.

BTW, it's silly to say "Most people would agree with me!" as the basis of your argument, then claim someone else is wrong for using the same argument.

Okay Calleja. Let's pretend you go overseas to any country... we'll randomly choose France for this exercise. Tell people you are an American. Then, ask them to point on a map where your country is. I will give you $100 for every person who points to Mexico. For every person who points to the United States, you have to give me $1.
Neither, because they'll probably be able to tell from he's accent that he's not from the US.

But really, people refer to usaians as americans because that's how they refer to themselves, while the rest of the people on the continent actually have proper names...

It's not like most people of the world don't realise that anyone from the Americas is technically an american.

You are not American. You are North American.

Maybe you guys should have done your revolution first.
The fact that if you tlle me you are american I assume you are from the US doens't mean Mexicans aren't American.

Mexico is in America, one of the five continents in the world, American revolution or not.

He is Eurasian, European, Spanish, and probably Barcelonés.
I'm American, Southamerican, Ecuatorian, Manabita and Portovejense

GasBandit

Staff member
A guy living in russia posts on a message board saying he is Asian. 100% of the people who read that post assume he's got slanty eyes and is probably good at math.

And you are Eurasian not Spanish and not European, am I doing this right?
You are doing it wrong. The convention that doesn't distinguish between north and south america as continents, wich is the one Calleja is using (he referred to the olympic rings) does consider Asia and Europe to be different continents. That is, I'm European, I'm from the European Union (European again, the same way you are American and American), I'm Spanish, I'm Catalan and I'm from Barcelona. (or, as Cog correctly said, "Barcelonés").

If we go look at my citizenships, I'm legally a Spanish and Italian citizen.

By geographic convention North and South America are two different continents. And it is getting to the point that Eurasia is only one land mass. The Urals are little more than hills. Also you are part of the larger Asia-Africa-European landmass. The only thing separating Africa from Asia and Europe is a ditch.

A guy living in russia posts on a message board saying he is Asian. 100% of the people who read that post assume he's got slanty eyes and is probably good at math.
Unless he's been siberia'd there's a good chance that at least the eyes are like that...

And you are Eurasian not Spanish and not European, am I doing this right?
Afro-Eurasian actually...

Antarctica and Australia are the only distinct landmass continents really.

EDIT: Uh, relevant: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Organization_of_American_States

Status
Not open for further replies.