[MLB] 2023 Major League Baseball Season (MLB Thread)

Long time Pirate fan - no more. I quit. I fucking hate the Pirates' ownership so much, I want nothing to do with supporting them in anyway directly (buying hats or ballpark tickets). Man, I need to do a local stadium tour of Phillies, Mets, Orioles, and Nats to see which other team I should switch to.

Long time Pirate fan - no more. I quit. I fucking hate the Pirates' ownership so much, I want nothing to do with supporting them in anyway directly (buying hats or ballpark tickets). Man, I need to do a local stadium tour of Phillies, Mets, Orioles, and Nats to see which other team I should switch to.
Orioles are kind of hot right now but both they and the Nats might be painful to be fans of. The Mets are riding high, if you want to jump on the bandwagon for the convenience.

The Padres lost to the Dodgers but I'm still holding out hope they can take the series. Still, I suggest they wear the new uniforms for luck.

1665593728035.png

I've been a Padres fan since I was six. Historically, Padres' owners tended to treat the team like a tax shelter. After years of disappointment and heartbreak, the Padres pulled off a massive upset victory. No matter how the rest of the post-season plays out, I'll be satisfied because the Dodgers got knocked down a peg.

I've been a Padres fan since I was six. Historically, Padres' owners tended to treat the team like a tax shelter. After years of disappointment and heartbreak, the Padres pulled off a massive upset victory. No matter how the rest of the post-season plays out, I'll be satisfied because the Dodgers got knocked down a peg.
Now you guys need to win it all for the NL West.

Padres lost but I’m not upset at all. Sure, I wanted them to win. However, they made it farther than anybody predicted back in April. It’s like the end of Bad News Bears when the Bears are happy to get the second place trophy.

In the last 10 World Series, the winner of game 1 has gone on to win the Series four out of five times.

The only two exceptions were the Cubs in '16 and the BANG BANG BANGs in '17.

Also, the average number of games in the series is right at 6 over the last 10; the only sweep in the last 10 was the 2012 one by @Cheesy1's boys.

Dave

Staff member
The story behind him is pretty interesting. He made the $10 million wager to hedge a bet on a mattress promotion he made. The promotion was if the Astros won the World Series, the company would refund your mattress purchase x3. So if you spent $1000 on a mattress set, the company gave you $3000. The promotion cost him $75 million. So he got $25 million from the promotion, spent $10 million for the wager. +$15 million. Then the Astros win & he has to pay out $75 million. But with the wager he won $75 million. In the end he still loses as taxes will take a chunk of that $75 million, but it was a brilliant strategic move.

Last edited:
He does that bit frequently with Houston sports teams. He's also the guy who turned his stores into makeshift hurricane shelters when that big one hit a few years ago (and served as a contrast to the osteens who kept their doors closed).

Okay, starting to look like the Giants were right to have concerns after the Mets brought up the same issue on their physical.

Still doesn't excuse the rest of their lackluster offseason pick-ups.

A few things as I went to my first ST game of the season:
  • I have now seen two pitch clock violations. The first was Brewers starter Eric Lauer having a rough day trying to focus on pitching and not on the runner on first. As a result, a ball was called by the HP umpire. The second was when Angels batter Jo Adell was nowhere near ready after he swung at a bad pitch for strike two, and wasn't facing the Brewers pitcher at the 8 second mark. Strike three, goodbye.
  • I was a bit worried that I wouldn't have time to enjoy the game because of the clock, but TBH, after a while it didn't even really seem noticeable.
  • I truly fear for the Crew this year. We look very lost out there, though Luke Voit is playing lights out. He broke up a no-hit bid by Reid Detmers with a leadoff homer in the bottom of the fifth - which was about the only blip on Detmers' day.
  • I am supplied with Secret Stadium Sauce for the foreseeable future now that I've visited the team shop. :) [Oh, and in my defense, I was left unsupervised in there...]
  • The brats at AFFoP aren't all that great, but I am assuming they are Johnsonville Brats - which explains why.
  • Sign I've turned into an Arizonan - I was cold at the game. It was cloudy and cool, and we had some gusting winds come in from the west during the game. TBH I was a bit concerned that this game would be called because of the deluge of rain we got yesterday and last night.
  • Unrelated weather irony: a good deal of the Valley, especially locations near the Salt and Gila Rivers, are under a flood warning because of not only the rain but because reservoirs up-river are being lowered due to snow melt and excess rain. We've got a few roads on our side of the 101 that are closed because of this.
  • The best part about the game was that I was spending time with my dad. The worst part was dealing with the wind and the traffic.