3d printing

I don't think I ever considered whether we would one day be able to 3-D print nudibranchs, but here we are.

--Patrick
I knew they reminded me of something

Post automatically merged:

Cool. Now that you've managed giant dice, you should start crocheting giant dice bags!
No money in crochet lol
That's actually a giant dice BOWL...the lid comes off, and maybe 100 dice or more would fit in there.

Printing more stuff for the market that happens in a couple weeks.
20231230_023653.jpg 20231230_112923.jpg 20231230_113739.jpg

Last edited:
I was looking into resin printers but then realized there is a lot of fumes to be concerned about even when it's not actively printing plus additional steps to finish that are also fumy and while it's something I'm still interested in, it's definitely more of a backburner thing at the moment.

I was looking into resin printers but then realized there is a lot of fumes to be concerned about even when it's not actively printing plus additional steps to finish that are also fumy and while it's something I'm still interested in, it's definitely more of a backburner thing at the moment.
I looked at them too..they're much better for doing miniatures. But I shied away for the exact same reasons.

Reactions: Far
While you're at it, take a look at the prices of the various resins, too. :eek:

--Patrick
Sure, but if you're 3d printing minis you're comparing against Warhammer and the like, and $10 of resin is nothing compared to $50-100+ for the same model in a store.

A printer is something I definitely intend to buy at some point, but the cost and ventilation requirements combined have it well outside of feasibility for right now.

I have a resin printer that I was using to print minis and honestly the detail felt really lacking. But it's 5 years old at this point so maybe they've gotten better since then.

I have a resin printer that I was using to print minis and honestly the detail felt really lacking. But it's 5 years old at this point so maybe they've gotten better since then.
They definitely have. Top of the line (for individual use anyway) 8k printers are pretty incredible now.

Hah, who needs resin? Printed at regulation 28mm size, and I didn't even have to break out my .2mm nozzle (which still sits in a box)! I had a couple meters of orange PLA left on a roll, and I didn't really have any print jobs that could use that small of an amount--but I felt terrible throwing it away. These things only take about 1.6m of filament, so it was a good test to see how much my techniques have improved. (My first miniature attempt, days after first getting my printer, were a disaster)

20240103_180247.jpg

1705285875687.png

This one didn't come with a face. It was a 3 part print, intended to print each color separately, and they suggested painting the face on with acrylics last. Instead, I used my printer software and freehand painted a face on in the slicer, and printed it that way.

So, you know those coupon books for couples? The ones where instead of giving a 'real' gift, you give the promise of some future task?
1705951814815.png

Well, I know a fair amount of kink people. I've been doing a brisk business using the same idea, but with kink themed 'tokens'.

1705951964062.png

I originally thought i could just do regular sexy themed ones, but I realized that there's a whole lot of stuff out there in that market already, but not too many things out there that cater to non-standard interests. I've been letting people tell me the kinks they want represented and printing them on demand.

Doing a Valentine's Day party this weekend, and we're doing Valentine's like in elementary school: Everyone is bringing a decorated box, to be filled by Valentines by everyone else. I'm making these cute 3d-printed secret message sliders

1706641138439.png

Last edited: