[Comics] Amazing Spider-Man comic ends, Marvel drinks SM fan tears. [Spoilers]

Status
Not open for further replies.
Subtlety in a mainstream superhero comic? Heh, right. They can't even make a status quo change without three mini-series and an annual to explain it.

The "I'LL BE BACK!" scream Ghost Pete made was really stupid and over-the-top, at least for the first issue. That should have been at the very least 5 or 6 issues before he actually returned, because we ALL know now that he will return and soon. Cause it's Peter Parker and he's screaming "I'LL BE BACK!". It almost like bringing him back already. Didn't even let the SpOck thing play out more. Lame.

Unless they're actually not bringing him back. Everything makes it obvious he'll return, and then... he doesn't. There'll be a big buildup, ghost-Peter finds a way to regain his body, and it turns out at the last minute that Octavius has thought of it already and stops him. Peter stays a ghost, subverting everyone's expectations.

At least for a while. Cause yeah, he'll be back. Eventually.

fade

Staff member
I dunno, Pete's done some very genius-level shit.. including creating and designing the webshooters AND the webfluid which, I dunno if this has changed, no one seemed able to reproduce.
Yeah, but Lee himself said "gifted but not genius". I agree that the shooters are impressive, but not unbelievable for someone who is gifted. (Check out hackaday.com for real-life gifted engineering.) Ock is genius-level, though. Reed Richards has come to him for help in the past. Seems like someone would notice that aspect.

Intelligence levels vary according to need. Reed R is sometimes the Smartest man on Earth, sometimes just smart. Dr Doom same. Ock same. heck, Batman is supposedly amongst the best and brightest of the world, but he's downright stupid when plot demands it.

That said, I'm going to say Peter Parker'l lbe back in 3 or 4 issues, and only after that will we get the actual "Superior Spiderman" - parker again, but with newfound...whatever - powers, intelligence, bravado, mechanical arms, whatever they want to throw in.

He was always, always interested in and good at science. As far as I'm concerned, Gifted + LotsOfEffort = Genius.
I dunno. Various variations have him in late high school/lower college. He was younger than the "adult" Superman/Batman/etc. A kid who happens to be good at science, doesn't magically become Stephen Hawking.

Anyway, I assume this Parker is older anyway, and I haven't kept up at all....But the idea of Spidey was ahero more relatable for teenagers/regular people than the superrich and superpowerful - his problems are more down to earth. I don't see how being a Spergenius fits in that picture, other than allowing nerds yet another power fantasy.

fade

Staff member
But that was changed some time ago. I mean, Peter's job has been 'being a genius' for a while.
See, I see "pretty good marvel universe engineer" more than Reed or Victor. But I admit, I haven't read too many issues lately.

I'm in complete agreement that he's an excellent scientist (or engineer), but he's no Ock. I always liked that idea, which may be biasing me, I admit. I liked that he was the Blue Beetle, not Lex Luthor.

I used to love those old Marvel Cards that had the -Power Bar Ratings- on the back. You could -size- up people against each other, I had always felt they were pretty accurate.

BananaHands

Staff member
I used to love those old Marvel Cards that had the -Power Bar Ratings- on the back. You could -size- up people against each other, I had always felt they were pretty accurate.
I still have a whole box of those! I should open it up and see where he stands.

I still have a whole box of those! I should open it up and see where he stands.
Same here, still have my binder full of them and a box with the rest. I really should dig through it too sometime. Unfortunately it's in the garage and it's freaking rainy/cold outside right now.

BananaHands

Staff member
I always got so angry with those sets you just had to complete. It'd be like this epic battle that you had to put together with 9 cards and every time I'd get like 15 of the middle card.

BananaHands

Staff member
We should just make a catch-all Marvel thread. Or just jump to that Marvel NOW thread because I wanna talk about All-New X-Men and stuffz.

We should just make a catch-all Marvel thread. Or just jump to that Marvel NOW thread because I wanna talk about All-New X-Men and stuffz.
Shit I still have the holograms from that original first set. The Magneto and the Spider-Man.

Damn this nostalgia, I'm considering making a break for the garage.... As for jumping to the Marvel thread, I have zero interest in comics today, so I wouldn't be much help there.

I had planned to make this a Marvel general thread and just start off with Spidey, but I wasn't sure there'd be enough interest. Feel free to talk about whatever though, not much more going on with SM till Superior #2.

Time-travelling X-Men and Beast's new look, for example. I dislike both.

That's what I was about to ask, is the guy on the left Hank McCoy? Who is the slightly Apocolypse looking guy on the right?

The guy holding up Blue Hank is the Hank McCoy from the past who Blue Hank brought from the past along with the other original X-men to talk Cyclops out of his rampage after the Phoenix War.
Yeah, and now the past X-Men want to find him and stop him, even though present Beast decided he wants to send them back. So now there's a Jean Grey from the past who knows exactly what's going to happen to her running around. Also, nobody wants to tell Archangel what happened to him (and I don't blame them, it is fucked up).

Wait, what happened to Archangel? I thought he went by that name only AFTER the horseman of Apocalypse metal wings thing?

Status
Not open for further replies.