Apple will never satisfy my lust for cheap, powerful hardware

Can't you imagine? People walking around with their wrists smushed over their eyes, their hands jammed together back-to-back, curled out in front, elbows to the sides, blindly staggering about to move in-game, flicking and flexing their fingers to control "clicks?" Stumbling into traffic and bumping into walls
Don't we already have this with the Google Glass folks?

--Patrick

ArsTechnica has a nice little write up on the UI differences in the Apple watch, and Google wear watches. I think the following quote really sums up what makes me wonder about the direction of Apple without Jobs.
Google seems content with only a few lines of text OR one button per screen, while Apple seems to want to pack as much into a single screen as it can. It's almost the complete opposite of what you would expect from the two companies: Google built an airy, picture-heavy OS, while Apple built a more powerful, denser OS with an all-black motif.

Pre-ordered the 64GB 6 Plus from T-Mobile this morning. I'm excited. Especially to have a great camera on my phone again.

Interesting then-and-now for publications and reviewers of "phablets" http://www.digitaltrends.com/mobile/phablet-reviews-iphone-6-plus-and-before/

I particularly liked this quote:
Maybe I’m getting old, and my eyes are getting worse. Or maybe I’m stuck in Apple’s reality-distortion field (help). But something strange happened this week. I started to like a phablet.
– Lauren Goode
Yes, you (and many others) are stuck in Apple's reality-distortion field.

I'm disappointed that no one is taking my view.

"I wish they had stuck with a 4-in screen because I like only needing one hand to use my phone when on the subway. But if that's not an option and I won't be able to do that, then fuck it, let's go with the big phone and the big battery"

fade

Staff member
I have no desire for a big phone. Someone asked me the other day how I would watch movies on it. My answer was, "IT'S A PHONE."

This will be our new forum meme "Hey, is this where all the old people come in to complain about stuff?"
In my opinion, a phablet's entire raison d'être is for the unwashed masses who can't afford both a separate phone and tablet. Peasants.

Also, it's telling when old people start wanting a phone to be smaller.

--Patrick
Large screen phones sell best in places like China and India, where a persons primary (and sometimes only) computing device is likely their phone.

GasBandit

Staff member
Put it in your back pocket? Wouldn't the average American derrière just bend it more that way?
No pants pockets at all, unless it's like the big loose front pockets of shorts or something. Even then I'd be iffy as all hell. I keep my phone in my shirt pocket.

And I thought everybody but me got super-indestructo bulletproof cases for their phones the instant they were out of the box?

Funnily, I met a guy who works for Xiaomi in China, and he told me the "in" thing among the tech crowd there is to get your slacks/khakis/short re-tailored to have extra large pockets in loose-fitting pants legs.

Zappit

Staff member
This will be the end of skinny jeans. Crushing your organs? That didn't do it. Restricting blood flow? Nope. Wedgies that cannot be Un-wedged? Nah.

But if the iPhone gets bent 3 degrees, then fuck those pants!

fade

Staff member
To be fair, there aren't too many reports of this. Hell, most of the news outlets are going on the two main reports that keep getting cited. Also, similar reports from Samsung and other phones previously.

More of a shock to me was the roll out and rapid recall of iOS 8.0.1 today.

Last edited:

fade

Staff member
Yeah, this thing is crazy. Nearly every story reports the same cases: the guy who does it intentionally on YouTube, and the guy who drove 18 hours with it in his front pocket. And the comments are filled with idiots bashing Apple. Look, Apple has problems, but not as many as internet commenters.

GasBandit

Staff member
Further thought - I mean, I'm pretty sure that if I pop the plastic back cover off this LG G3, I'd be able to bend it in my pocket too. That's just a bad place for phones.

And I'm still trying to figure out how all of a sudden nobody's using the once-ubiquitous otterboxes any more.

That looks like some sort of "got stuck in a pinch point" situation. This would be a good time to remind everyone that the airlines are liable for anywhere from about $1200-3500 depending on the flight, so make sure you document everything.

Also, it looks like there's a chance the HDD could've survived. If so, that's one lucky break.

--Patrick