Apple will never satisfy my lust for cheap, powerful hardware

My phone and iPad are now two years old. I can't justify getting a new phone, this one is obviously slowing down with each new iOS upgrade (iPhone 5), but I will be buying a new iPad. Microsoft's surface 3 isn't going to meet my needs, and I still have an AT&T unlimited ipad data plan ($30/mo) that I can transfer to the new iPad (on LTE, even).

I haven't heard anything about the new features of the iPad that should be coming out this fall, though.

The iPhone 6 should have a larger size version available, and a few minor upgrades, but I haven't heard anything that really makes me sad that I will have to wait for the next version.

Are there very powerful, cheap phones out there that can compete with the iPhone? I never reboot it, and it does everything I need it to, but I still have yet to meet a high-power android user that doesn't have to reboot their phone weekly.

I haven't heard anything about the new features of the iPad that should be coming out this fall, though.
Beyond the announcement of the new operating systems (MacOS 10.10 and iOS 8.0), I haven't heard anything yet, either.
I tell you what, though, I can't wait for that feature of iOS 8 that'll up and tell you which apps are the ones burning all your battery. No more guessing, no more resetting to factory settings because you don't want to split-half search 135 apps on and off your phone to find out which one(s) kill battery.

--Patrick

fade

Staff member
I've been eyeing the android world myself lately, and I am (was) an apple fan. It becoming evident that apple was a one man company and with that man gone it has no rudder. All the inventive and design elements are there, but there's no direction.

I loved my iPhone but my programming "expertise" is in Java, so it seemed a natural fit to own (and code for) Android devices in my lab. Then I gave up the iPhone and picked up an Android for my pocket too. My wife's iPhone 4 seems...I don't know, quaint is the wrong word but close. It is still a remarkable device but there are some things it can't do (like widgets) that I would miss terribly.

fade

Staff member
Yeah I think objective c was one of the worst calls apple made in the post system 9 years.

Dave

Staff member
Don't have a phone but I love my iPad. It's pretty new and not exactly next gen, but I can run from the monster in the temple and Skype with my son so it's all good.

Zappit

Staff member
I'm quite happy with my iPad3. Got Retina. Got a solid Wi-Fi signal.

Got the ability to manufacture comic strips on it.

Yeah, I'm good. I don't need the new health functions to come along and tell me I might still be a little overweight. Don't need Retina for that when I got two of my own that are already doing that job.

I use a Galaxy S3. I've no complaints. I do reboot it more than once a week, but that's mainly because I forget about it in my pants and it dies overnight after being left on for a couple of days.

I use a Galaxy S3. I've no complaints. I do reboot it more than once a week, but that's mainly because I forget about it in my pants and it dies overnight after being left on for a couple of days.
I'm still using an S2. No complaints here either. Thinking of replacing it soon though, since it's starting to break down a bit from wear and tear. Pondering getting one of the Galaxy Note series, I like the idea of a bigger screen.

I'm still using an S2. No complaints here either. Thinking of replacing it soon though, since it's starting to break down a bit from wear and tear. Pondering getting one of the Galaxy Note series, I like the idea of a bigger screen.
My buddy has a Note. I like big phones, but I don't need a tablet in my pocket. He also has a third party extended battery on his. It's....ridiculous.

My experience is a bit limited, since I didn't get my first REAL (digital not analog) cell phone until Nov'09, and even then, it was just a pay-as-you-go flip phone with no camera. I acquired an iPhone 5 in Oct of last year, and its capabilities as a portable device are a huuuuuuuuge step up from what I've ever been able to do previously. Calls? Yep. Camera? GPS? Covered. Music? Games? Movies? Educational widget? Decent Web browsing? PDA? Texting? E-reader? All of that, and more. When our home Internet went out for a couple days, I even activated tethering and shared it to the entire home network so we weren't stranded (and now you know my secret, @jwhouk ). It may be a 2012 model smartphone, but I've come to rely on it for so many things. So yes, I would say I'm happy with it.

--Patrick

When in the last 15 (20? More?) years has Apple ever been known for being Cheap in the slightest? Their PC hardware is usually at LEAST 50% more expensive than the SAME components, and has been that way since they moved to x86 processors. And even in the mobile space, it's been the same, about 50% (at least) more expensive for having an Apple-branded device.

If people love the experience, and whatever else, fine, but hardware? Ya right.

fade

Staff member
I pay the same co pay for my apple phone that I would for an android. I don't think Id ever pay full price for either.

GasBandit

Staff member
Still standing strong with my Droid 1! Though that's probably because my nexus 7 tablet supplements it nicely. As I said in another thread though, I'm thinking about getting the Nexus 5 phone.

Still standing strong with my Droid 1! Though that's probably because my nexus 7 tablet supplements it nicely. As I said in another thread though, I'm thinking about getting the Nexus 5 phone.
If you can wait until November, that's the most likely date for the Nexus 6 to come out. Even if you go with the 5, there'll be a price cut then on it with the new one released.

I am quite happy with my iPad3 (got it as a graduation gift). I've used it tons (still use it). We rarely use our laptop anymore. I have tapered off buying apps. I don't do much more than Netflix/quick games/internet. So, I don't really see the need to upgrade for a long while. I also can't justify getting a new PC of any sort b/c of the lack of use.

Phone-wise: I have coveted the iPhones and have never owned one. I went for an LG G2 (32gig - first "smart phone") after having a flip phone for all of grad school. I couldn't bring myself to pay $$ for the iPhone5, and the specs comparison made me jump for the G2. It's pretty rad.

My reaction to the thread title:

Xli3jmR.gif

I'm probably going to switch from the nexus 5 to the iPhone 6. I've had the nexus 5 since it came out, and it's already having battery issues, a scratch on the screen, and the lettering on the back has pealed off leaving a nice place for dirt to gather. iOS 8 looks great, I love the idea of touch id, and I've yet to use an android camera that can compete with the iPhone's OOB. My 4S on average takes better pictures than my nexus 5. It's pathetic really.

GasBandit

Staff member
I finally broke down and got a new phone. It's quite a step up going from a Droid 1 to an LG G3. The camera in it is 13mp and looks amazing. The difference between 128 megs of ram and 3 gigs is also understandably awesome.

GasBandit

Staff member
Heh, and I didn't even know about the Quad HD display til I got it home and was getting it how I wanted it. Just shows-ta-go-ya that it's probably utterly wasted on a handheld device. But heck, I'm only out $100 out of pocket, and ironically my monthly bill is going to go down by about $20 a month.

My iphone 5 has had the worst battery issues since I got it, and now it is to the point that it dies 20 minutes after I unplug it. Totally switching to Android when my contract is up. I still like iPads though. :p

GasBandit

Staff member
Oh, and just to clarify, the G3 doesn't have a 4k display, it has "Quad HD," which is 4 times 720, or 2560x1440, not 4 times 1080 (which would be 4k)

My iphone 5 has had the worst battery issues since I got it, and now it is to the point that it dies 20 minutes after I unplug it. Totally switching to Android when my contract is up. I still like iPads though. :p
If you go in, they can tell you whether or not the battery needs to be replaced. Free if in warranty/gizmodo program, about $80 otherwise.

I am so looking forward to iOS 8's better battery monitoring. Some serious app reining/corralling/deleting may go on if I discover that, say, Facebook takes up 30% of my daily battery use*.

--Patrick
*I don't actually use the Facebook/Messenger apps, I just needed an example everyone could relate to.

Of course, I also have fucked speakers and my power button doesn't work, so that will probably void my chances. :p[DOUBLEPOST=1408751339,1408751198][/DOUBLEPOST]My phone is indeed eligible. Might try it regardless and see if they'll still fix it.[DOUBLEPOST=1408751393][/DOUBLEPOST]AH HA, it's only applies to things that affect battery replacement. SCORE![DOUBLEPOST=1408751507][/DOUBLEPOST]Will go do this on Monday, I need my phone number available because my daughter is away at camp.

AH HA, it's only applies to things that affect battery replacement. SCORE!
Yeah. A busted display will probably fragment during removal, and that gets expensive quickly.
Will go do this on Monday, I need my phone number available because my daughter is away at camp.
Start the backup now! Those things can take forever if you haven't been doing them all along, and they can only be done on WiFi (unless you are saving it to your computer).

--Patrick

GasBandit

Staff member
Well, the G3 seems to drain its (more powerful) battery faster than my droid 1... but I don't know if that's because I fiddle with it more, being new, or if because now I actually have a reason to keep its wifi antenna on and connected, since it has the brainpower to deal with background apps and a 2gb data limit.

GasBandit

Staff member
Heh, to move all my stuff from my droid 1 to my G3, all I had to do was pop out the SDcard and put it in the new phone. Voila. All my contacts and e-mail naturally came across with my google accounts.

It's mainly about demand. Do a lot, drain a lot.
I've had a full charge last about 4hrs (as a GPS), and I've had a full charge last about 4-1/2 days. All depends on what you're doing with it.
Sooooo looking forward to iOS 8.

--Patrick