[Gaming] Board Game Praise

My son loves Clank. I always lose at it.
I hear Clank in Space is a better game, but haven't played either one. Far too many adult things for me to do to make any of the boardgame club events, sadly. Love that you are raising a gamer :D

I love board games...but I have nobody to play them with so I own none.
Gloomhaven is perfect then! Pricey, but there is SOO much content it is crazy! I’ve easily played 80 hours so far and I’m not even close to getting to the end.

I hear Clank in Space is a better game, but haven't played either one. Far too many adult things for me to do to make any of the boardgame club events, sadly. Love that you are raising a gamer :D
I'm raising 2! In fact my daughter's middle School started a board game club this year, and she was able to teach the other kids how to play Ticket to Ride and King of Tokyo. In fact, she had Wil Wheaton sign our Gigazaur a few years ago.

I'm raising 2! In fact my daughter's middle School started a board game club this year, and she was able to teach the other kids how to play Ticket to Ride and King of Tokyo. In fact, she had Wil Wheaton sign our Gigazaur a few years ago.
Amazing :) So glad to hear it and those are great games!

Clank in Space is an overall improvement on the formula but it's essentially the same game. I actually prefer it because of the modular board. Offers a bit more variety on replays.

Recently my wife and I have purchased some new games and played them amongst ourselves. Plan is to take them with us to Christmas and introduce the family to them.

First up is SKULL (aka Skull & Roses). This is a fun and tight little game. Very easy to pick up and explain to someone, lots of interesting gameplay. Can play up to 6 people.

Second is AZUL. This is a wonderful abstract game about laying tiles in pretty patterns and scoring points, but it is so much more interesting than that. Give that review a look and decide for yourself if it is for you.

Third is Cockroach Poker. A light bluffing game that has the added quirk of each game produces 1 loser and everyone else wins. Plus the artwork on it is what I would describe as "cute gross." We tried to play this with only 2 people and it just doesn't really work well. You need at least 3 to make the passing mechanic work properly.

Fourth is 12 Days. Admittedly, we did get this one because of Christmas, but also because it looked like fun when they played it on Tabletop (second game of that video). We haven't actually played it yet because it requires at least 3 people to make it work, I just didn't want to leave it out.

Recently my wife and I have purchased some new games and played them amongst ourselves. Plan is to take them with us to Christmas and introduce the family to them.

First up is SKULL (aka Skull & Roses). This is a fun and tight little game. Very easy to pick up and explain to someone, lots of interesting gameplay. Can play up to 6 people.

Second is AZUL. This is a wonderful abstract game about laying tiles in pretty patterns and scoring points, but it is so much more interesting than that. Give that review a look and decide for yourself if it is for you.

Third is Cockroach Poker. A light bluffing game that has the added quirk of each game produces 1 loser and everyone else wins. Plus the artwork on it is what I would describe as "cute gross." We tried to play this with only 2 people and it just doesn't really work well. You need at least 3 to make the passing mechanic work properly.

Fourth is 12 Days. Admittedly, we did get this one because of Christmas, but also because it looked like fun when they played it on Tabletop (second game of that video). We haven't actually played it yet because it requires at least 3 people to make it work, I just didn't want to leave it out.

Post Christmas report!

Azul is very fun with more people. Rules seem hard, but once play begins, it is actually pretty easy to understand.

We never got a chance to play Cockroach Poker with anyone else, so that one is still on the back burner.

12 Days was fun as well. We got a group of 5 to play it, my mother included whose idea of a good game is Sorry! or Monopoly. All had fun with it. If we played it more, then there may have been some deep strategies developed for it.

The run away hit, though, was SKULL. It was easy to teach and understand, even for my 10-yr old nephew and there was never any point where someone was overwhelmed. Almost everyone won a game as well, nephew included and no we did not "let" him win either. Highly recommended game for practically anyone.

Sagrada is a game where you roll dice and build a stained glass window. It's a great game that's really easy to teach to other people once you know the rules.

Sagrada is a game where you roll dice and build a stained glass window. It's a great game that's really easy to teach to other people once you know the rules.
Played it a few times myself, it's great, but after a while you start paying more attention to the other player's windows, and advanced strategies really start to expect you to memorize too much, like some card games. Keeping it somewhat airy keeps it fun.

In other news, we had a good Christmas for new games. I got Mysterium and Isle of Skye, and a sort of dinner-game-meets-murder-mystery, my girlfriend got Dos, Qwirkle, and an Escape Room board game.
We'd already played most of those before, but this was the first time we played IoS. I liked it a lot, sort of a cross between Carcassonne, a deck builder, and an auction mechanic.
We also played Guns and Loot a few times with friends, a pretty fun party game. Same designer and artist as Munchkin, and the gameplay also bears some similarities.

One of my friends got Mysterium and we have played it a few times. I was the ghost first time out and it was hard but fun. We won that game. Next game featured a new ghost and we lost that one right at the end because we had 2 people who needed to one-shot the last two rounds and we failed on the final round. I was the worst clairvoyant because I was stuck on the suspect round. I kept getting stuff that looked like performers when I was supposed to be looking at the uniforms and taking that to mean the Postman.

Very fun game and one I think we will be pulling out many times.

One of my friends got Mysterium and we have played it a few times. I was the ghost first time out and it was hard but fun. We won that game. Next game featured a new ghost and we lost that one right at the end because we had 2 people who needed to one-shot the last two rounds and we failed on the final round. I was the worst clairvoyant because I was stuck on the suspect round. I kept getting stuff that looked like performers when I was supposed to be looking at the uniforms and taking that to mean the Postman.

Very fun game and one I think we will be pulling out many times.
I personally really like it too, but I've found it really isn't for everyone. Some people really bounce off of it, hard, and consider it too luck-based, since they just don't quite grasp the way you have to interpret the cards.

I personally really like it too, but I've found it really isn't for everyone. Some people really bounce off of it, hard, and consider it too luck-based, since they just don't quite grasp the way you have to interpret the cards.
It's like trying to play Dixit with my kids.

Looking for a new RPG to play? Like sci-fi horror? Want the perfect opportunity to say "game over, man! Game over!" ?

Try mother ship!

Who Goes There?
Played this a while back before the quarantine. It's been on my mind lately so I thought I'd talk it up.

It's essentially 'The Thing' the board game but based on the actual novel the movies are based on. The game begins cooperatively where the goal of the group is to survive three days at the antarctic facility before evacuating by helicopter. Each day is broken up into several rounds where everyone takes their turn, performs various actions that can provide items, crafting, trading, helicopter bonuses, or experience for upgrading abilities. Each round there is also an event that must be handled by each player. Each day also has a "food" and "sleep" round that requires each player to discard a food item and agree on another player to bunk with for safety.

The twist here is that at any point that a character fails particular events, cannot feed themselves, or has to bunk alone: they must secretly draw a vulnerability card. There are 12 vulnerability cards in the game. 11 of them are clean. 1 of them is the Host card.

The moment someone draws the Host card that player secretly must change their strategy. Their intention is still to escape on the helicopter but they must ensure they can overpower the humans in the end by infecting others during game-play. To infect others you need to trade items or bunk with them. Whenever these situations occur you must each secretly show the other a marker that confirms if you are infected or not. If the other person shows you the infected marker then you are now infected and your strategy becomes the same as the host. An infected character (including the host) may choose NOT to show the infected marker. Infected players must be careful however, as there must be at least one human on the helicopter for them to win. If they accidentally infect everyone they cannot win.

The moment the first vulnerability card is drawn Who Goes There becomes an intense game of paranoia and self preservation. To win the surviving humans must board the helicopter and have earned enough bonuses to equal 6 x (the number of surviving humans). But any infected allowed on board will have their bonuses count against the humans. The current leader decides who is allowed on the helicopter but no one has to board even if allowed. Choosing not to board may require a new leader to be chosen, but there is still no guarantee that person has the best intentions for you.

There is a 2nd edition that just went through Kickstarter. Changes are minor and just provide some fixes to some game mechanics that were giving some players some issues. For anyone who owns the 1st edition base game the 2nd edition add-on just includes some replacement cards and stickers to use on the original board.

Expansions include additional characters to play, each with their own abilities. The original game comes with 4, but the game can be played with up to 6 players.

I highly recommend this game and think it plays wonderfully for the max of 6 people. The few games that my friends and I have played have been very intense and often hilarious. One of our players also learned not to yell "FUCK!" when drawing the host card.

1597302721288.png

You gotta click through this at least once.

--Patrick
The holodeck would be an amazing place to play board games. Just have it recreate the components and have them already set up when you go in and no clean up, no having to carefully load the box to get the lod perfectly on and not slanted

Board games, I'd imagine, still exist because holodeck time is precious AF. A crew member on the Enterprise could expect, at best, 10 hours of usage a month if it was shared equally among the crew which let's face it, it probably wasn't.

It never made sense that power starved Voyager even used the holodecks in general seeing as they could barely use the replicators.

Board games, I'd imagine, still exist because holodeck time is precious AF. A crew member on the Enterprise could expect, at best, 10 hours of usage a month if it was shared equally among the crew which let's face it, it probably wasn't.

It never made sense that power starved Voyager even used the holodecks in general seeing as they could barely use the replicators.
Why not a... holotable? The advantages of the holodeck, but at a fraction of the space and resources.

The holodeck would be an amazing place to play board games. Just have it recreate the components and have them already set up when you go in and no clean up, no having to carefully load the box to get the lod perfectly on and not slanted
I would give anything to see Riker, Data, Geordi, Troi, Beverly and Picard playing Cards Against Humanity.

Wasn't there some sort of attempt to explain that by claiming holodecks had their own separate power supply which couldn't be used for anything else because, um just because ok? No more questions!

Although I would totally use the holodecks for Captain Proton.

Wasn't there some sort of attempt to explain that by claiming holodecks had their own separate power supply which couldn't be used for anything else because, um just because ok? No more questions!

Yeah, that was their handwave and it was dumb as hell.

Fireball Island... Life-size version.

A good friend of mine is a board game designer. He's worked on the art design for several published games but he's designed and published a few of his own.

Cantankerous Cats was his first.

Now he's trying a game based on making tea. Prosperitea is his new Kickstarter. He's not a major name in the business so he can use all the word of mouth he can. Back if you like. Spread the word if you can.
Thanks guys.