Bystander Effect much?

Status
Not open for further replies.
The unicorns, rainbows, and fluffy kittens part that IronBrig has apparently visited. I stayed with a buddy there a few days and my impression was slightly different.
Okay fine, I'll put in a caveat that Oakland is different. Raider fans in particular are a quarrelsome lot.

T

Twitch

Yeah, this isn't the bystander effect. People actually came out specifically to watch.
It's sick, but if *you* were the only one to stand up against a mob of 5 - 10+ (I'm just giving numbers here, I didn't notice it give any specific numbers to go by), I'm sure you'd be hesitant to act.[/QUOTE]
I know I really do sound like hurr durr internet tough guy but my glock has 17 rounds and I'm a good shot.

Yeah, this isn't the bystander effect. People actually came out specifically to watch.
It's sick, but if *you* were the only one to stand up against a mob of 5 - 10+ (I'm just giving numbers here, I didn't notice it give any specific numbers to go by), I'm sure you'd be hesitant to act.[/QUOTE]
I know I really do sound like hurr durr internet tough guy but my glock has 17 rounds and I'm a good shot.[/QUOTE]

My cell phone has 911 on it and I imagine it would give us the same result but with much less bloodshed and I don't even need to be a tough guy! W00t!

T

Twitch

It's sick, but if *you* were the only one to stand up against a mob of 5 - 10+ (I'm just giving numbers here, I didn't notice it give any specific numbers to go by), I'm sure you'd be hesitant to act.[/quote]
I know I really do sound like hurr durr internet tough guy but my glock has 17 rounds and I'm a good shot.[/quote]

My cell phone has 911 on it and I imagine it would give us the same result but with much less bloodshed and I don't even need to be a tough guy! W00t![/QUOTE]
I was referring to if a crowd of 10+ gave me trouble for speaking up or calling 911 and why that's not that terrifying. (It's still fucking terrifying)

It's sick, but if *you* were the only one to stand up against a mob of 5 - 10+ (I'm just giving numbers here, I didn't notice it give any specific numbers to go by), I'm sure you'd be hesitant to act.[/quote]
I know I really do sound like hurr durr internet tough guy but my glock has 17 rounds and I'm a good shot.[/quote]

My cell phone has 911 on it and I imagine it would give us the same result but with much less bloodshed and I don't even need to be a tough guy! W00t![/QUOTE]
I was referring to if a crowd of 10+ gave me trouble for speaking up or calling 911 and why that's not that terrifying. (It's still fucking terrifying)[/QUOTE]

Ah, yeah, well as long as you have it on you, go nuts. ;)

T

Twitch

My cell phone has 911 on it and I imagine it would give us the same result but with much less bloodshed and I don't even need to be a tough guy! W00t![/quote]
I was referring to if a crowd of 10+ gave me trouble for speaking up or calling 911 and why that's not that terrifying. (It's still fucking terrifying)[/quote]

Ah, yeah, well as long as you have it on you, go nuts. ;)[/QUOTE]
Hey, a crowd of ten comes at me, all bets are off.

S

SeraRelm

I wouldn't want to get near that crowd in the first place for obvious reasons, but I'd call 911 anyway if I even thought something like that was going down.

Aim for the scrotum. It's what this good fellow would do.

I seriously think we should bring back public flogging. In the case of these guys, they should be castrated WITHOUT anesthesia in full view of the public. It worked for centuries but then we got all sensitive.

C

Chazwozel

Aim for the scrotum. It's what this good fellow would do.

I seriously think we should bring back public flogging. In the case of these guys, they should be castrated WITHOUT anesthesia in full view of the public. It worked for centuries but then we got all sensitive.[/QUOTE]

HAI GUYZ, WUTS GOIN ON HERE?!?!

C

Chibibar

Would I call 911?? you bet. When I witness horrible accident on the road, I usually call 911 unless the police is already there. Would I call in this situation? more than likely for several reasons.
1. It occur in a highschool
2. public sex act (more than likely involve minors)
3. multiple people attacking a single person.

I have call in before (back in my highschool with hazing) I would do it today.

Oh IronBrig, I think it's so funny that you're talking shit about the Bay Area. It lets me know you have no clue what you're talking about. It's not all hippies and hybrids over here, trust me.

C

crono1224

Yay it devolved into another cry for castration and public humiliation.

North_Ranger

Staff member
Yay it devolved into another cry for castration and public humiliation.
Hi, you must be new here... :p

Nah, seriously though... It might have something to do with the fact that after murder and kiddy-fiddling, rape is probably the most prominent serious crime that riles people up. And when people are riled up, old-school methods of punishment are suggested, in accordance with "eye for an eye" and wanting to exact revenge.

It's too early in the morning to think of creative punishment methods for rapists. I'll get back to you on that. Perhaps a codpiece with razorblades inside...

Oh IronBrig, I think it's so funny that you're talking shit about the Bay Area. It lets me know you have no clue what you're talking about. It's not all hippies and hybrids over here, trust me.
Okay fine, I was being bigoted. But that bigotry comes from teaching at San Diego State University, which receives tons of students from the Bay Area. Many of said students (and their parents) are the hippies who think they are... so forward thinking and tolerant of different social norms in regard to crime.

It's barbaric and horrible.
That's kinda the point. The punishment should fit the crime.[/QUOTE]

Nah, not really.[/QUOTE]

They should be publicly shamed, criminals never like having their deeds exposed to the light of day.[/QUOTE]

Sayeth the Blackcrosscrusader. :batman:[/QUOTE]

Heh.

You've struck pretty close to the reason I thought up that handle. :cool:

It's too early in the morning to think of creative punishment methods for rapists. I'll get back to you on that. Perhaps a codpiece with razorblades inside...
Sex offenders (including rapists) have the highest recidivism rate among released prisoners. In other words, they are the most likely to commit the very same crimes again, even after they've done hard time. Why should we not remove the instruments they used to commit rape? It should also be viewed by a festive public audience. Sometimes old school methods are the best.

Maybe we could put that on pay-per-view and tax the proceeds. Think about the thousands of people who flocked to public hangings in Victorian England. To use a modern example, consider the millions who spend $10 apiece to see films like Hostel and the Saw series. Passion of the Christ was basically a snuff film as well, and look at the profits. If we did that, our criminal justice system would soon pay for itself. So in one stroke we accomplish two things: rapists get what they deserve in the form of a deliciously ironic punishment, and we get out of the recession. Yes, yes, I know I'm a financial guru.

Man, we need a pair of these guys in every major US city.

IronBrig I am thankful every day that people like you have absolutely no power or authority
There should be an emote for "I'm just fucking around."

To tell the truth, I was very nearly a police officer and passed everything including the psychological evaluation. The only reason I wasn't hired was because the economy sucked at the time and 500 people applied for a mere four positions. I actually made it to the final application pool.

I've toured a number of prisons throughout California while earning a degree in criminal justice. Those facilities ranged from minimum security womens' prisons to San Quentin. A lot of the inmates were normal folks who committed their crimes in the heat of passion or in desperation. Violent sex offenders, on the other hand, are real pieces of work. There is little to be done for them. Many are repeat offenders who actually premeditate their crimes. Furthermore, the vocational/educational programs that prisons offer are least likely to affect them. They are very likely to rape and molest again upon release. While sex offenders are less likely to be rearrested for any offense, they are much more likely to be rearrested for a sex crime. Most of those committed said crime within one year after release.

http://www.ojp.usdoj.gov/bjs/crimoff.htm#inmates

Those rapists at that dance behaved like the worst form of degenerates. Therefore, they should be punished in such a cruelly savage manner that other potential rapists would think twice before raping someone.

C

Chazwozel

they should be punished in such a cruelly savage manner that other potential rapists would think twice before raping someone.
Are you still fucking around here? Because this sentiment is horrible.[/QUOTE]

Singapore bases it's whole punishment system on this sentiment (public humiliation and flogging) and their crime rate is the lowest in the world.

they should be punished in such a cruelly savage manner that other potential rapists would think twice before raping someone.

Singapore bases it's whole punishment system on this sentiment (public humiliation and flogging) and their crime rate is the lowest in the world.[/QUOTE]

That doesn't make it right.

C

Chazwozel

Singapore bases it's whole punishment system on this sentiment (public humiliation and flogging) and their crime rate is the lowest in the world.[/QUOTE]

That doesn't make it right.[/QUOTE]

Tell that to victims of violent crimes. In my eyes, when someone commits a violent crime that's premeditated or inconceivably horrible, such as this gang-rape, they revoke their rights to being treated humanely.

I

Iaculus

Are you still fucking around here? Because this sentiment is horrible.[/quote]

Singapore bases it's whole punishment system on this sentiment (public humiliation and flogging) and their crime rate is the lowest in the world.[/quote]

Small countries tend to be easier to govern, though. Just check out Switzerland.

Correlation =/= causation.

C

Chazwozel

Singapore bases it's whole punishment system on this sentiment (public humiliation and flogging) and their crime rate is the lowest in the world.[/quote]

Small countries tend to be easier to govern, though. Just check out Switzerland.

Correlation =/= causation.[/QUOTE]

Switzerland has like 20 people living there. And they are all bankers!

I

Iaculus

Correlation =/= causation.[/quote]

Switzerland has like 20 people living there. And they are all bankers![/quote]

Precisely. Easy. :toocool:

Status
Not open for further replies.