Canadian Politics

Already gotten into several arguments with climate denying trolls on Twitter about this.

We are absolutely fucked. Because there is zero chance Conservatives do anything to reduce carbon emissions or push for renewable energy.

Ugh, it's like officially day two of the election and I'm already sick of it. My heart goes out to Americans who deal with this shit 24/7.

Feels like NS might go the way of USA 2020, huge amount of early votes to be counted. Not enough to flip the results but certainly enough to push it to minority.

Elections Nova Scotia promises to not bother counting past midnight and will resume tomorrow at 10. Don't want to fatigue those counting.

Well, NS politics are pretty simple to follow.

Inside the high density urban core of Halifax, you vote based on social issues. Outside the HRM you vote based upon how close you are to the family of the candidate.

Economically if you vote PC the Irvings call the shots, if you vote LIB the Sobeys call the shots, vote NDP and both the Irvings and the Sobeys call the shots.

So, the pigs in my city decided to tear down tents and shelters that homeless people were using.

All hell has broken loose as a result.

Just imagine if, instead of further funding the police, we had redistributed it to social support programs to get these people actual help. But no, instead, the fucking pigs move in like goddamn storm troopers.

I hate this world.

Dave

Staff member
Nick, I think doomscrolling is bad for you. I mean, it's bad for ALL of us to some extent, but I think you are more susceptible than most. You have too much empathy for the internet news.

Nick, I think doomscrolling is bad for you. I mean, it's bad for ALL of us to some extent, but I think you are more susceptible than most. You have too much empathy for the internet news.
I'd feel the same way about this whether I read about it live or later. It doesn't matter.

I was discussing this recently with my therapist. With no social hobbies outside anymore (I didn't really have much even before Corona, but now absolutely 0), all of my news and social interaction except for colleagues and close family is scrolling Facebook, news sites, Twitter, etc. It's really toxic. I like being up to date and aware of everything and being well-informed, but these days the combination of click bait titles, duality of politics, half the world seemingly trolling constantly, half the world constantly trying to make their life appear perfect and pretending to be flawless magazine model families, etc has turned this into a serious source of anxiety and depression-fuel.
It may sound weird and very bad, but Halforums is probably my least toxic social network and healthiest place for interaction I have left.
And yes, Nick, I do think some of that applies to you too. Being very empathic (in your case) and/or hypersensitive (in my case, dunno about you) makes this an easy pit to fall into.

GasBandit

Staff member
For anyone needing alternative news sources, the Associated Press has an excellent top stories RSS feed, and Reuters has put a new RSS feed up as well. I have them both in feedly, but whatever RSS reader you want can handle them. And since these are news agencies and not news networks/channels, the clickbaiting, partisanship and panicmongering is kept to a minimum.

I don't recommend the Reuters website though, it's easily broken by adblockers.

Reuters news feed:

AP news feed:

Big shocker, the UCP are getting in on the voter suppression tactics so beloved by the GOP.

It's a hilariously meaningless referendum that exists solely to show off how petulant Alberta can be federally that will be more wasted money.

Literally the main thing on it is Alberta claiming to hold an election for an appointed position made by the Prime Minister. Laughably pathetic. (PS Abolish the Canadian senate, it's a dogshit institution that should not exist)

So, my premier, Jason Kenney, has spoken for the first time in over 3 weeks. One of the things he did was blame CERB (Covid emergency relief money, that ended moooooooonths ago) for the increase in deaths because:

Literally repeating his earlier lies that CERB was to blame for Alberta's rising OD deaths (the numbers were spiking well before the first CERB cheques were issued).

Rumblings are as soon as next week the provincial Conservatives are looking to oust our premier, which both sucks ass and rules. It rules because he's literal, actual garbage and was hoping to use Alberta as a stepping stone to Prime Minister which is now done, forever. He's a pariah to Conservatives across the board. The suck ass part is that it means a new provincial election and someone even fucking crazier taking over.

I'm trying to decide which is worse between a Trudeau majority and a Conservative minority. Either way nothing positive is likely to happen between now and the next election, whenever that ends up being.

I'm trying to decide which is worse between a Trudeau majority and a Conservative minority. Either way nothing positive is likely to happen between now and the next election, whenever that ends up being.
I think most polls show a minority for the liberals, which is realistically the best case scenario (in my opinion). It also shows how much of a waste of time, money and my limited ability to handle new stresses all this fucking nonsense was.