Cataclysm

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back from Day 1! Nice to see everything finally announced. I got some playtime with the new races and I have to say, I love them a lot so far.

Both starter zones need some fleshing in the quest department, but it looks like each zone is going to follow a similar progression as the DK starting zone. Rather then being a character just randomly appearing in the middle of a zone, each of you start off with a "reputation" already built and hinted by the NPCs.

Worgen start out in Gilneas, which has taken a very Transylvania aesthetic that you would see in an old movie. The men wear long black coat, the women black dresses with little fancy hats, etc... You are actually captured by the other Gilnites and a few of the NPCs want you killed, but one of the NPCs has to much faith in that he can "cure" you. He ends up using a potion that turns you into a human, but it's only a semi-change, as you are still a Worgen and can transform at anytime. This is when you start the quests to push back the Forsaken.

Racials are pretty simple right now. They have less time under the effect of curses, a sprint ability, better skinners both in skill level and even a skinning time boost, and the most interesting, is the "Two Forms" ability, allowing the Worgen to transform into a human or back again, the animation is great, I could start around all day just making myself transform. The only downside is you can NOT choose your human form, it will be made based on which Worgen options you pick (my blond braided Worgen, as a human, was a balding old redhead.)

The Goblins on the other hand started on a island just east of Durotar. The place if very tropic with monkeys and raptors, and has some hilarious quests. I had one in which I had to clear out the monkeys, so I threw out bombs disguised as bananas, blowing them sky high. The Goblins keep most of the style they have developed over the years, which insane makeshift gadgets, improvised housing and weapons, etc... They have some funny animations, like I swear when they cast a spell they look like they are throwing it like a baseball.

Racials are actually my favorite of the two new races, with only Two Form being close for the interest scale. Goblins get a "super discount" on vendors, meaning they always pay price for items after exalted discounts, even if they are not exalted. They get an attack and cast speed boost, alchemy specialization, and something else involving money I am drawing a blank on. However, the two skills that stole the show for me were Hobgoblin Servant and Rocket Belt.

Hobgoblin Servant is a big dumb ogrish creature that you can summon every 30 minutes, and allows you access to your bank. Makes them a very good option for a bank character just for that alone. Rocket Belt has duel uses, you can either launch the rocket as a weapon, doing some decent damage, or my favorite, use it to rocket jump. I had way, WAY more fun then I should have with that ability. Getting chased by 5 raptors? Rocket Jump! Need to get on a rock a little out on the ocean? ROCKET JUMP. It was a lot of fun.

Graphics wise the whole thing looks beautiful. If no one noticed, play the trailer and look at the WATER. During the Art Panel the artists shows that they redid the entire water system for the game. It looks GREAT. That is all I can say, just take a look at it.

Also, I want to say one thing. The idea of changing the surface of the planet for EVERYONE was weird to me at first, then during the preview panel they won me over with one word, FLOW. Outland and Northrend have a great leveling "flow" in which zones easily lead to other zones of the next highest level. Old World, however, was very random in the zone design, not having a clear flow from various zones to others. You often would feel like you were running around all over the place.

Blizzard is redoing the zones in order to redesign them with a better flow system, meaning leveling will be easier, less time consuming, and more focused. Considering how much more I love the leveling after hitting Outland/Northrend, I have to say I would love Old World to play like that.

I am a bit tired so that is all I am going to write for now. I may post more in the future as I play the races some more.

E

elph

I had been playing WoW on and off since Stress Test / Release, quitting a number of times before each expansion. I came back before BC with a refreshed outlook on the game and really enjoyed most of it. I quit before LK, and came back a bit after it was released. When I quit just this past Feb, I pretty much resigned myself that I won't be coming back. I'd check in on WoW's website, reading all the info of the upcoming patches, and none of it really inticed me to come back.

When Sythe came on here and gave us the possibilty of the new races, I was interested to see how they'd fit. When MMO-Champion pretty much leaked the rest of the info on the new expansion, I was interested. However, none of this really made me want to get back into the game.

Seeing the trailers, the completely revamped zones, how the new races look, and all this new / confirmed info... I really do want to play a Worgen Druid. This expansion may get me excited enough to get back into the game a few months before it releases, just so I can be around when they do the major crossover patch.

I'm looking forward to the big patch event.

Not looking forward to all the servers breaking again, but I've come to accept that as a constant whenever something changes in WoW. Considering the scope of changes... there are likely to be a lot of growing pains.

C

Chazwozel

escushion said:

Not looking forward to all the servers breaking again, but I've come to accept that as a constant whenever something changes in WoW. Considering the scope of changes... there are likely to be a lot of growing pains.

I don't think this Xpacs coming out any time soon...

Umm from how they have released them before I think it will be late Q1 or early Q2 of next year for release...

Im betting Arthas will be out in like 3 months and 3 or 4 months after that will be the xpac.

Chazwozel said:
escushion said:

I don't think this Xpacs coming out any time soon...
Yeah... still going to break the hell out of the game when the time comes, and server resets, and blah-de-blah... Never said it'd be soon.

I thought I had heard Metzen has said something like "Blizzcon 2010 we're gonna hear Alliance whining about these new Goblin Rogues" or something, so I'm wagering on Spring 2010 for this xpac. There's also art for Icecrown in the images on mmo-champion, so Icecrown can't be more than a couple months off, either.

I haven't been this excited for anything WoW-related yet, and the new "flow" of the old zones has me raring to start a Goblin of some sort and a Worgen Hunter.

R

Rubicon

So for the 4th xpac, I'd love to see a more.. open system of factions. Have each side splinter, maybe mix up the combo of races, like move humans to horde with orcs and tauren to alliance and such

Less safe zones or at least make the number of horde/alliance zones that are right next to each other a bigger number

Or better yet, split it into a 3 faction system, each faction having 4 races (there will be 12 total after worgen/goblin are added)

Mav said:
So for the 4th xpac, I'd love to see a more.. open system of factions. Have each side splinter, maybe mix up the combo of races, like move humans to horde with orcs and tauren to alliance and such

Less safe zones or at least make the number of horde/alliance zones that are right next to each other a bigger number

Or better yet, split it into a 3 faction system, each faction having 4 races (there will be 12 total after worgen/goblin are added)
I could not disagree harder with everything you just said.

You want to splinter guilds of people who have been playing together for years "just to mix things up"?

R

Rubicon

Shegokigo said:
Because he wants WoW to be an open PVP world, even though on a pure PVP server it already is.
Oh no no no Sheg, it's truly not. I play a dorf warrior, I cannot attack Humans, Gnomes, etc of my faction, outside of agreed-upon-duels.

Take away killing faction restrictions and WoW would be PERFECT

-- Sat Aug 22, 2009 4:14 pm --

Frankie said:
I could not disagree harder with everything you just said.

You want to splinter guilds of people who have been playing together for years "just to mix things up"?
It's been done in other mmo's that have started to grow long in the tooth. 5 years of playing the same factions? The same race combos? Conflict of choice has always been the great part of guild politics. Who do you follow? The guild splinters into groups, the choices you make affect how you will play. Shit like that is what really makes the metagame awesome both in terms of gameplay and player to player interaction for server politics and alligences

You're right, games like UO and Shadowbane are doing fantastic with that style of gameplay and games like WoW are just doing it wrong....

Seriously, you can already fight half of the server, you're upset cause it's not 75-90%?

I'm diggin' (har har) the archeaology and path of the titans stuff. Man, this is making me want to play again... except that all the stuff I want to do isn't actually available yet.

Raemon777 said:
I'm diggin' (har har) the archeaology and path of the titans stuff. Man, this is making me want to play again... except that all the stuff I want to do isn't actually available yet.
Yeah, and allowing race changes makes me happy. I've gotten really tired of my NE, but I still love playing a Warrior.

G

Gadzooks

wonder if they will allow Worgen and Goblin race changes right off the bat...

Gadzooks said:
wonder if they will allow Worgen and Goblin race changes right off the bat...
Given how many people will be rolling them at first, my guess would be no.

I usually get into the Blizz betas but I am going to have to see if I can't push my connections on this one.

G

Gadzooks

Cross server LFG - You will be able to look for groups through multiple servers! It should be out for patch 3.3.0.

Cross server LFG - You will be able to look for groups through multiple servers! It should be out for patch 3.3.0.

SMURF YEAHHHHH

I so called this back in BC, made sense with PvP, make it PvE too

E

elph

Gadzooks said:
This is another nail in the coffin to get me back. Part of my problem is family plays on one server, raid capable friends on another... it's just annoying. I want to be able to chat across servers if I know account names (harder now that you can register a b.net account and use your email address as an account name) like we used to do in Diablo. Now, at least I can call up my sister (plays on a different server), tell her I'm in LFG, and she can look for me. So, I can't quest with people across servers, that's fine, but to run instances would be great.

G

Gadzooks

Race changes will be available shortly after Faction changes. There is no point in not allowing that since you can't really prevent people with multiple accounts to play both side on PvP servers anyway.
All races will have updated racials with Cataclysm, they should be similar to what the Goblins have. (Increased health/mana potion effects, etc ...)

Man, if I had money.....I played WoW for the first year it came out, then quit and never looked back. But all of this shit looks so damn good, it's pulling me in.

A

Andromache

Dieb said:
Man, if I had money.....I played WoW for the first year it came out, then quit and never looked back. But all of this shit looks so damn good, it's pulling me in.
this, yeah?

C

Chazwozel

HoboNinja said:
Umm from how they have released them before I think it will be late Q1 or early Q2 of next year for release...

Im betting Arthas will be out in like 3 months and 3 or 4 months after that will be the xpac.
It's Blizzard. November 2010, for Christmas.

I would say the same, except they actually got Lich King out on time. No delay, nothing. I was amazed, as if Arthas had extended Northrend into hell and it froze over.

G

Gkbur

I have to agree, it'll be around Christmas of next year if we're lucky, early summer of 2011 if we're not. Personally I'm very sad I didn't get to go to the con this year, as Cataclysm looks absolutely awesome, and I'm really hoping to get into the beta to test out the Worgen (maybe the goblins too).

C

Chazwozel

Shegokigo said:
You're right, games like UO and Shadowbane are doing fantastic with that style of gameplay and games like WoW are just doing it wrong....

Seriously, you can already fight half of the server, you're upset cause it's not 75-90%?

I gotta agree here. WoW is kind of blazing the MMO trail as far as what should be done in these games. UO and Shadowbane have dwindled due to rehashing the same stuff. EQ2 follows that same path. Now that I've given it more thought, the push for revamping old world zones permanently is a good one. The game's been out for looong ass time already. 5 years! That's ages for a video game. New players would be just as exposed to the new lore as we were back in 2004 when the game came out, and for old players, a revamp is a welcome refresher. Plus, implemented on a larger scale, this phasing system is going to be huge.

I'm excited. This is going to be like pretty much playing a sequel, not an expansion.

Gkbur said:
I have to agree, it'll be around Christmas of next year if we're lucky, early summer of 2011 if we're not. Personally I'm very sad I didn't get to go to the con this year, as Cataclysm looks absolutely awesome, and I'm really hoping to get into the beta to test out the Worgen (maybe the goblins too).
I'm gonna call you on that. That's a good two years from now. That would be 4 months short of 3 years after Lich King's release.

WoW to BC was 2 years, 2 months.
BC to Wrath was 1 year, 10 months.

I find your numbers unlikely, especially since they've clearly been working on it, and the Goblin/Worgen zones were up for play. I don't know when it will come out, but I think you're stretching it.

G

Gkbur

I'm guessing Christmas of next year, in fact I'm 99.999999999% certain it will be, but this is Blizzard, they don't release until it's ready, and if something occurs, or there's something they decide to add they may delay it (you know, if we're unlucky), do I think it'll happen, no, but it's always a possibility. I chose early summer as a time period because it seems to be a big launch time.

R

Rubicon

Shegokigo said:

UO's still going, and Darkfall was released not to mention Mortal Online coming down the pipeline..

Upset, no. I still play the game but I'd love it literally a 100000% more if that fellow Alliance guy standing there annoying me, could be ganked with a swing of my axe. I mean really, thats my only gripe with WoW..

Mav said:
I'd love it literally a 100000% more if that fellow Alliance guy standing there annoying me, could be ganked with a swing of my axe.
I can't say I disagree with this sentiment. I guess I just go and take it out on the opposite faction (yes, I play both) when I get that fed up. I mean in any group of ten or more Horde there's going to be some dickhead who's as bad or worse than the Alliance guy, and I don't mean just because he plays Horde.

Status
Not open for further replies.