Comic Book News

Some pretty big news dropped today: DC Comics has hired Brian Michael Bendis. He's worked for Marvel for so long, I didn't think such a thing was possible.

Of course, that means DC's dialogue will get the Bendis treatment.

-What do you mean Bendis' dialouge is annoying?
-It's annoying.
-How is it annoying?
-It just is.
-So it's little back and forths like this?
-Just like this.
-That is annoying.
-Yup.
-Does he fill whole pages with this dialogue?
-Whole pages.
-This feels like cheap filler.
-Yep.
-Are all his books like this?
-Every one.
-And people still like his stuf?
-Dude, they love his stuff.
-Really?
-Yep, love it.

At the same time this will definitely give a boost to whatever they put him on, and a big shakeup to both DC and Marvel.

Some pretty big news dropped today: DC Comics has hired Brian Michael Bendis. He's worked for Marvel for so long, I didn't think such a thing was possible.

Of course, that means DC's dialogue will get the Bendis treatment.

-What do you mean Bendis' dialouge is annoying?
-It's annoying.
-How is it annoying?
-It just is.
-So it's little back and forths like this?
-Just like this.
-That is annoying.
-Yup.
-Does he fill whole pages with this dialogue?
-Whole pages.
-This feels like cheap filler.
-Yep.
-Are all his books like this?
-Every one.
-And people still like his stuf?
-Dude, they love his stuff.
-Really?
-Yep, love it.
I'm going to assume they have a project for him in mind. Hopefully they realize they're bringing in a writer who not only doesn't care about continuity, but sometimes sneaks in stuff to contradict other ongoings. DC editors seem more on the ball than Marvel editors at the moment.

Though likely the real point of this is to take a resource away from Marvel. I'm wondering at what point he'll no longer be writing for them.

Wow. I've been collecting comics for 25 years. In some ways, it feels like longer. In other ways, it feels shorter.

But totally worth it. Every minute.

Marvel could not keep that 18 month, no big event promise.

Countdown to Infinity begins in February. I expect Infinity will begin to coincide with Avengers: Infinity War. -_-

Those Hellboy omnibuses are up for pre-order on Amazon and they're less expensive than I thought.

The largest volume, The Wild Hunt, is only $16 right now. Sadly these won't start coming out until mid-2018.

EDIT: Guess the Amazon media thing is broken.
I wonder if they're the same size as the recent Buffy Season 8 omnibus? It's not the same size as the average collected editions. More closer to digest size, like other books they've done in the past for Alien vs Predator, Sin City, etc.

....hmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmm...I....I am conflicted.
Same. Jurgens is planning to exit Action Comics the arc after #1,000. Tomasi has been absent for several issues of Superman already. It could go either way. I'd rather lose Jurgens than Tomasi, but I'd also like Tomasi to more consistently be writing Superman issues.

PLEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEASE-be Jurgens! That's not in a "I hate Jurgens" way, either I LOVE Jurgens, he begat Booster Gold, but Tomasi is WAY better a writer!

Kelly Thompson has signed an exclusive deal with Marvel. Hopefully this means they'll give her proper support on her comics. On the downside, she'll no longer be writing Jem for IDW, but that apparently went sour anyway because they made her change the ending of the last book.

And it means I'll have to buy more Marvel comics later this year when more of her projects come out. :/ Smart move, Marvel. So many good writers are locked in with DC now, but you snapped up one of the few whose books I will always buy.

Bendis will be taking over BOTH Superman and Action Comics.
...and my feeelings that Superman and Action Comics shouldn't be separate series have JUST doubled. Unless they make Action Comics a freaking anthology series again.

BUT HEY-it frees up Peter Tomasi to write more Super-sons books and POSSIBLY be the one to take over Teen Titans from Ben "I'd rather be writing Green Arrow because I'm better at that" Percy!

...and my feeelings that Superman and Action Comics shouldn't be separate series have JUST doubled. Unless they make Action Comics a freaking anthology series again.

BUT HEY-it frees up Peter Tomasi to write more Super-sons books and POSSIBLY be the one to take over Teen Titans from Ben "I'd rather be writing Green Arrow because I'm better at that" Percy!
I'd actually read Teen Titans then.

But I have a feeling Tomasi will be taking up one of the post Justice League: No Justice teams that sound like they'll be replacing JL, JLA, Titans, and Teen Titans.

I'd actually read Teen Titans then.

But I have a feeling Tomasi will be taking up one of the post Justice League: No Justice teams that sound like they'll be replacing JL, JLA, Titans, and Teen Titans.
Smart man, ONLY read the ones that are either tie-ins with Metals or written by guest writers like the "Supersons of Tomorrow" storyline, or that one written by Marv Wolfman where Starfire has some motherfucking actual good lines for once!

Whichever one he writes, I'll be reading it!

Bendis is getting me curious about his upcoming Action Comics/Superman runs. He essentially wants to use Action for Daily Planet related stuff and Superman for home stuff, which is kinda what was happening before, but the waters were muddied by two writers who seemed to want to creep into each other's territory. Bendis shouldn't have that temptation.

He said he wants to get more presence from Superman's supporting cast, specifically saying he has plans for Jimmy Olsen. I for one can't wait to see what he gets transformed into now.

I'm reading the first volume of the Astonishing Ant-Man. Now many comics can make me laugh out loud, in public, in a crowded library.