Coronavirus Thread

Going to leave details off this to protect people, but someone in my immediate family that works in rehabilitation just got assigned a COVID survivor recently. The person got it months months ago, deteriorated and was intubated, and barely survived. He came out the other end nearly destroyed, and even months later after extensive recovery, has to use assistance to even walk around. He is in his early 40s.

This is the thing people don't talk about enough and makes me get so pissed when people downplay it because "It has a 99% survival rate!". Death isn't the only thing that it can do to you, you nutbags, just because you survive it does not mean it's not going to fuck with you long after, possibly for the rest of your life.

Too much work.

EDIT: it’s just frustrating that I got two more of those letters today. You know, the ones that say “if you have any questions or concerns about exposure...”

Last edited:
From the above article:
She recalled one conversation from that wedding, before she left the reception. “I have children,” she told a bridesmaid, “What if my children die?” The bridesmaid responded, “I understand, but this is her wedding day.”
--Patrick

figmentPez

Staff member
Yeah, knowingly exposing people to covid is close to being considered involuntary manslaughter here now. It's already been considered criminal negligence at least once. You know you're sick, you stay in or you accept that you may be literally killing people.
That photographer shouldn't be suing for child care. She should be suing for reckless endangerment or something.

If I'm holding a vial of sarin gas which would kill hundreds if dropped, most people wouldn't want me walking down the market street. It's really no different.

figmentPez

Staff member
White House Security Director Suffers Amputations, Three-Month Hospital Stay For Covid-19

"The director of the White House’s security office is reportedly recovering from Covid-19 after a difficult three-month hospitalization which involved the amputation of his right foot and lower leg, one of the most horrific cases to emerge out of a wave of infections that has swept through the White House. "

"According to Bloomberg, Bailey, who contracted the virus in September, was hospitalized for three months and is now at a rehabilitation center where he will be fitted with a prosthetic leg. "

"McCrobie [a friend of Bailey's] launched a GoFundMe page in mid-November to help raise money to pay off Bailey’s 'staggering' medical bills. "

Am I too cynical for wondering if the hospital bills are real, or if they're just another Republican grift?

Am I too cynical for wondering if the hospital bills are real, or if they're just another Republican grift?
Probably, yes.

But there is a special place in hell for a person who contracts a deadly disease and gets the world's best treatment so they recover in weeks, but recklessly gives it to his staff and does nothing to help. If Trump wanted to win over voters in this country, he could have made a big show of paying for this guy's medical bills. Instead he has to rely on a GoFundMe, for fucks' sakes.

Dave

Staff member
Had Trump been even 1/10th of the way towards competent, he would have tried to do more about Covid. I mean, HAD he done so, he'd have won reelection easy as pie. So yay?

Going to leave details off this to protect people, but someone in my immediate family that works in rehabilitation just got assigned a COVID survivor recently. The person got it months months ago, deteriorated and was intubated, and barely survived. He came out the other end nearly destroyed, and even months later after extensive recovery, has to use assistance to even walk around. He is in his early 40s.

This is the thing people don't talk about enough and makes me get so pissed when people downplay it because "It has a 99% survival rate!". Death isn't the only thing that it can do to you, you nutbags, just because you survive it does not mean it's not going to fuck with you long after, possibly for the rest of your life.
I survived it, but was left with compromised lungs and chronic fatigue. I'm consistently so exhausted that I'm considering quitting my job because it's too physical

just because you survive it does not mean it's not going to fuck with you long after, possibly for the rest of your life.
It'll be the new asbestos/Thalidomide/DDT.

Say... do you think Trump's flagrant inaction will open him (or others) up to civil suits once leaving office? "Have you or a loved lost respiratory and/or brain function due to COVID-19? If so, you may be entitled to financial compensation..."

--Patrick

It'll be the new asbestos/Thalidomide/DDT.

Say... do you think Trump's flagrant inaction will open him (or others) up to civil suits once leaving office? "Have you or a loved lost respiratory and/or brain function due to COVID-19? If so, you may be entitled to financial compensation..."

--Patrick
I hope so. I so fucking hope so.

Dave

Staff member
Protection against lawsuits is one of the sticking points in the current bill. The right not only wants these protections but want another PPP style loan to “small” businesses. With $600 for citizens.

figmentPez

Staff member
Protection against lawsuits is one of the sticking points in the current bill. The right not only wants these protections but want another PPP style loan to “small” businesses. With $600 for citizens.
Well, yeah, I'm sure Lakewood "church" has already blown through the $4.4 million dollar loan they got and Joel needs another mansion.

figmentPez

Staff member
Funny you should mention that.

Line of the article:
"Osteen has done a lot of things worth criticizing over the course of his career. There is absolutely no reason to invent new things."
Note that I did NOT say that he lied about getting the loan. However, Lakewood is not a small business and I don't think the government should be in the practice of subsidizing churches, especially not when Osteen is wealthy enough to have covered this himself.

New guidelines for us, school break extended, no restaurants until 2nd week of January, some lessening on gatherings regarding family and church, but still essentially stay the fuck home for three more weeks.

And we are down to single digit daily new cases with double digit daily recoveries. Plus 1st batch of vaccinations is well underway. Extra bonus, all new cases have been eliminated as being caused by community spread in the province.

Dave

Staff member
Pfeizer says they have "millions of doses" of vaccines ready to go and in warehouses, but the government is not communicating or telling them where to go.

Meanwhile, states are being told by the CDC that they are going to be getting 40% less doses allocated than they were originally told.

So my question is...where are those doses ACTUALLY going? Is Trump selling them off like they did the PPE?

My guess? Doses are being redirected to private industries and individuals who were Trump supporters, in order to give than an advantage in the economy while everyone else has to wait for their workers to get vaccinated before they can return to work.

Interestingly though, I know more than one person making presentations to their company regarding who should be able to work from home after this and it's virtually everyone, as the easiest and fastest method to recouping losses from this year is simply not using their fancy office space, which cost them significantly to use and maintain. Don't be surprised if your job becomes at home permanently.

My husband works at Qualcomm, they've been almost entirely work from home since March, with the exception of IT guys going in to maintain hardware and people doing work that requires secret clearance, which they can't take off site. I think a lot of the bigger tech companies have been doing the same.

My husband works at Qualcomm, they've been almost entirely work from home since March, with the exception of IT guys going in to maintain hardware and people doing work that requires secret clearance, which they can't take off site. I think a lot of the bigger tech companies have been doing the same.
Yeah... turns out people hate commuting to work and dealing with their coworkers and such. Meetings are also much faster when done this way. As such, productivity usually increases with working at home.