Coronavirus Thread

^^This.

Getting vaxxed in those positions is literally part of your job responsibility (health, public safety, etc) towards those you protect. If you work in one of these positions but aren't willing to be vaccinated, this screams that you got into the business for some reason other than what it really should be, and the quality of that profession will be better off without you.

--Patrick
I read somewhere that a "needed a job" (rather than "desire to serve and protect") was the motivating factor for a large percentage of people who join the police force. Lotta jurisdictions only require a GED, no felony convictions, and bare minimum physical qualifications. And for that you can make 45K/year, and get 6 months of paid training at the police academy.

I read somewhere that a "needed a job" (rather than "desire to serve and protect") was the motivating factor for a large percentage of people who join the police force. Lotta jurisdictions only require a GED, no felony convictions, and bare minimum physical qualifications. And for that you can make 45K/year, and get 6 months of paid training at the police academy.
And all the brown people you can beat

Reactions: Cat

GasBandit

Staff member
There's also a lot of people who washed out of the military or couldn't even get in but still want to be paid to be violent. I also read somewhere that they're a large part of the problem. That, and it all started downhill when there was a doctrinal shift that stopped the practice of assigning a cop's "beat" to be the area where he also lived. After all, you feel more like "serving and protecting" your own neighborhood, and might object less to "repress and generate revenue from" other areas.

There's also a lot of people who washed out of the military or couldn't even get in but still want to be paid to be violent. I also read somewhere that they're a large part of the problem. That, and it all started downhill when there was a doctrinal shift that stopped the practice of assigning a cop's "beat" to be the area where he also lived. After all, you feel more like "serving and protecting" your own neighborhood, and might object less to "repress and generate revenue from" other areas.
Washed out military in the police, and washed out police in security to personnel, are almost always bad news. The different groups have different rules to play by, and someone who wants to play by rules from another but can't measure up there is... Well, in theory what psych evals are for.

GasBandit

Staff member
Washed out military in the police, and washed out police in security to personnel, are almost always bad news. The different groups have different rules to play by, and someone who wants to play by rules from another but can't measure up there is... Well, in theory what psych evals are for.
Unfortunately, the culture of hero worship that's been built up around the US military over the last several decades means that too many hiring managers, of all sectors, see Steve Rogers in every Leonard "Pyle" Lawrence.

Unfortunately, the culture of hero worship that's been built up around the US military over the last several decades means that too many hiring managers, of all sectors, see Steve Rogers in every Leonard "Pyle" Lawrence
At least until they become old and possibly homeless, then that overrides all that glorious patriotism.

I guess I should count myself lucky that I got a giant package from Sam's Club a couple weeks ago. For a single guy in an apartment, that's like 9 months to a year of toilet paper.

Just to bring the conversation here back to Corona for a bit...Don't expoect miracles from vaccination. We're over 90% for 18+ (and around 85% now for 12+), and numbers are rising again. The government removed all barriers and almost all limits, and of course now people are being irresponsible and stupid. Mask mandates are already back on the table here...
Number of infections is exploding, number of hospitalizations and deaths are lower than they were in the previous waves but still plenty of people getting sick. And because the vast majority is vaccinated, of course the majority of hospitalizations are vaccinated too. Comparing the nubmers is apparently something people are utterly incapable of so now it's "you see, the vaccines don't work!". Dipshits.

Anyway, with waning protection for 65+, more virulent strains already coming, etc, it's not looking like vaccines will be the way out. They might've worked if we were fast enough and widespread enough, but nope!

I just scheduled Li'l Z's 1st shot for Tuesday. I feel so much better.

Funny enough, last night Mr. Z's coworker had to take a rapid test, and Mr. Z was worred he was exposed to it. The coworker tested negative, but he's also been vaccinated because Mr. Z's required ALL employees to be vaccinated, no exceptions. The coworker got a call that his kids tested positive for it, and his family is anti-vax, so one kid is in the hospital now, and the other is sick. Why does this have to be the result to get people to get their shit together?

Just scheduled our youngests shot for Monday as well. It can’t come soon enough. We’ve had a few close calls with him as well, so this will definitely be a huge weight lifted.

I love that Aaron Rodgers said that he supplied 500 pages of research to the NFL and that they called him a quack. Also that he's worried about long term risks.....YOU PLAY IN THE NFL. YOU HAVE A 110% CHANCE OF HAVING CTE.

Dave

Staff member
Considering Aaron went to three different colleges and didn't graduate from ANY of them, I'd say he lacks the credentials to do his own studying on anything. His major was "American Studies" which is a bullshit way of saying, "I'm only here to play football."

Fuck you, Rodgers.

What a dick. His stock in WI has gone down faster than Molitor's when he left the Brewers. That's what happens when you think The Joe Rogan Show isn't the male version of GOOP.