[Gaming] D&D 5e. I'm not kidding.

What's going to matter for me is whether, regardless of what they say right now, they go to the fans for ideas or feedback.

Feedback is awesome. They should be doing that. Feedback can make crappy things good and good things better.

Ideas is a terrible plan. They will be bombarded by noise, most of it won't be remotely useable, and everyone who gets their idea ignored will be bitter while those whose ideas made it in will get pissed everytime WotC doesn't acknowledge them as the true designers of the game.

Dave

Staff member
Okay, so I've had a chance to look at this stuff fairly in-depth. I like it. A lot. You know why? Because it's basically 3.5e with a few other things from 4e thrown in (advantage/disadvantage). Seriously.

My advice? If you have 3.5 books keep them. If you have Pathfinder keep them. They are pretty much compatible with the new 5e.

I'm not buying these books. I'll play Pathfinder instead.

PM me if you want a look at the 5e playtest docs. I have them stored in a shared Dropbox folder.[DOUBLEPOST=1400520605,1400520305][/DOUBLEPOST]Thanks, @Covar!

I hadn't noticed it was a locked thread.

Dave

Staff member
I saw that, which is why I made my update post. I'm offering people the ability to look at the playtest source material to make up their minds about purchasing another $400 worth of books that are nothing more than reworkings of a game written 20 years ago.[DOUBLEPOST=1400531585,1400531489][/DOUBLEPOST]Also, they again want you to pay a subscription to DDi to get any of the tools like a character generator & stuff. No way in hell I'd ever do that again. Last time they promised the moon and didn't even give us a small asteroid.

Live tabletop my ass, you lying bait-n-switch pieces of shit.

Live tabletop my ass, you lying bait-n-switch pieces of shit.
This.

I can't believe they haven't gotten around to making that a reality.

The good news is that there are some app/games doing this now, so online gameplay will be better than gametable used to be.

I won't buy the books but I'll try out some free PDFs and see what the game is all about.

They promise the world and didn't deliver shit other than new races/crap that no one needed instead of doing what was needed.

We'll see if they learnt their lesson.[DOUBLEPOST=1400535545,1400535500][/DOUBLEPOST]When is it being released officially?

Dungeons & Dragons Starter Set (July 15, 2014); Fantasy Roleplaying Fundamentals; $19.99; Will include six dice, a 64-page rulebook with adventure, rules for characters levels 1-5, and 5 pregenerated characters.

Player's Handbook (August 19, 2014); Core Rulebook; $49.95;

Monster Manual (September 17, 2014); Core Rulebook $49.95;

Dungeon Master's Guide (November 18, 2014); Core Rulebook $49.95

Pass.

I don't plan to buy this. I don't know if it's a good game or not, it might be. But the group I game with is fine with 2E, which they have all the books for, so that's what we play. I have Pathfinder, so if we wanna play that, we can. I just can't justify spending that much money on a game I'm unlikely to play.

And this is why so many people choose to... 'acquire' instead.
Also, how exactly are AD&D games done? I mean the DM book comes a 3 whole months after the player's book.
So, how exactly will the DM know exactly what to do and have the tools needed to succeed in his game planning?

Also, how exactly are AD&D games done? I mean the DM book comes a 3 whole months after the player's book.
So, how exactly will the DM know exactly what to do and have the tools needed to succeed in his game planning?
They expect you to buy the starter set, which probably has the bare bones rules you need to play.

Yeah, I'm "acquiring" these digitally. Books should be $25-30 each tops.

Honestly, you don't need the DMG to run games. It's useful if you want more background but you can get everything you need to know generally from the PHB and Monster Manual.

Dave

Staff member
Honestly, you don't need the DMG to run games. It's useful if you want more background but you can get everything you need to know generally from the PHB and Monster Manual.
The monster manual, which comes out a month after the player's guide?

Unless you plan on using magical items, which are apparently only in the DMG.

The monster manual, which comes out a month after the player's guide?
If you're right about it being compatible with 3.5, then either a 3.0 or 3.5 monster manual will cover you until the new one comes out. If you have an iPad, then you can get the uFisk PFR app and get each Pathfinder bestiary (3.5 compatible) for $1 and have it be totally legal, just minus the pictures, where are in abundance online.

They expect you to buy the starter set, which probably has the bare bones rules you need to play.

Crazy idea, instead of being a cancer on the community why don't you just not play the game? Or even better, go find another game you're willing to pay for.

Dave

Staff member
Crazy idea, instead of being a cancer on the community why don't you just not play the game? Or even better, go find another game you're willing to pay for.
Well that's rough. I'm not willing to pay for the hardcover until I know what I'm going to get, either. So I'd probably get them digitally as well to read them. If I then decided it would be something I wanted to buy and it was different than 3.5 or Pathfinder, then I'd pony up the dough...once all the books are out.

If he got them digitally and used them, there's a chance that either he'd buy the addon books or some of his players might purchase them. So just because he's getting them one way doesn't mean it'll necessarily cost the company.

Well that's rough. I'm not willing to pay for the hardcover until I know what I'm going to get, either. So I'd probably get them digitally as well to read them. If I then decided it would be something I wanted to buy and it was different than 3.5 or Pathfinder, then I'd pony up the dough...once all the books are out.

If he got them digitally and used them, there's a chance that either he'd buy the addon books or some of his players might purchase them. So just because he's getting them one way doesn't mean it'll necessarily cost the company.
You rebel scum.

If a person feels the books are priced higher than they're willing to pay for it, (warning: radical idea) they don't have to have them. Not playing fifth edition, or waiting to look at a friend's copy, purchasing the starter box, listening/reading about the new system from people who have played it, or sticking to your current system is not going to result in your death. We're not talking about a life necessity, it's an entertainment product of which there plenty of other options out there for them to spend their time on.

If a person feels the books are priced higher than they're willing to pay for it, (warning: radical idea) they don't have to have them. Not playing fifth edition, or waiting to look at a friend's copy, purchasing the starter box, listening/reading about the new system from people who have played it, or sticking to your current system is not going to result in your death. We're not talking about a life necessity, it's an entertainment product of which there plenty of other options out there for them to spend their time on.
True, but it's also not going to lessen your experience or weaken the role playing community if he does get it in the way he described. Not quite sure why this is upsetting you so much.

Dave

Staff member
True, but it's also not going to lessen your experience or weaken the role playing community if he does get it in the way he described. Not quite sure why this is upsetting you so much.
And I would agree with him if this was some smallish company who relies on this money. Hasbro is a multi-national billion dollar company who could give a shit about the players. DDi taught me that. They broke their promises to me THAT I PAID FOR when 4e rolled out. I feel not the least bit sorry if people are skeptical of them this time. They earned this skepticism.

^ That attitude has nothing to do with the size of WotC and everything to do with worthless self-entitlement.

And I would agree with him if this was some smallish company who relies on this money. Hasbro is a multi-national billion dollar company who could give a shit about the players. DDi taught me that. They broke their promises to me THAT I PAID FOR when 4e rolled out. I feel not the least bit sorry if people are skeptical of them this time. They earned this skepticism.
I tend toward the Neil Gaiman approach to digital piracy.

"Nobody who would have bought your book is not buying it because they can find it for free. What you're actually doing is advertising, you're reaching more people."

Last edited:
Go fuck yourself. Cancer on the community? I have books and materials stretching back to first edition that I've bought with cash, sitting along side OTHER games I've bought. I've been an avid collector of these games for 15 years and it's only NOW that I'm hesitant to buy a system that I may not need. Seriously, go fuck yourself and the high horse you rode in on because it's attitudes like yours that keep people from getting into our hobby.

^ That attitude has nothing to do with the size of WotC and everything to do with worthless self-entitlement.
Shitty business practices (such as making the BASE REQUIREMENTS to a pen and paper product be $150) are not to be encouraged and I'd be more than willing to pay if they had set it at a more reasonable price. I'll be more than happy to buy the physical copies when the price drops in a few months but until then they'll have to settle for getting getting money from supplements instead.

Dave

Staff member
I'm on your side in this, Ash. Still, please play nice. I totally get your response and think that the cancer comment was out of line as well.

I see what @Covar is saying, but I'm in almost complete agreement with you in this. Hasbro has wasted any trust or caring I had.

@AshburnerX I apologize for the harsh comment, Piracy is a pet peeve of mine (90% of it is pointless and just self-entitlement). Nerves get struck when I see people complain about something, then go announce that they're going to pirate it (see games, comics, sneaking into movies, etc.). Especially since there's so much good material out there.

@AshburnerX I apologize for the harsh comment, Piracy is a pet peeve of mine (90% of it is pointless and just self-entitlement). Nerves get struck when I see people complain about something, then go announce that they're going to pirate it (see games, comics, sneaking into movies, etc.). Especially since there's so much good material out there.
I understand this and respect this. I just really didn't appreciate being called that after supporting D&D with my money since I was 14 years old. I'm just really tired of Hasbro's shit right now... it's like every maker in the industry is trying to fuck over their most loyal customers right now.