[Comics] DC's new 52 (Comics; Nick, help!)

Yeah, I'm sticking with my original stance. The reboot is balls.
I'm thinking your blanket dismissal of 77 distinct ongoings or minis, some of which haven't even come out yet, as "balls" might be coming from a place more of emotion than reason.

I disagree. The fact that they jettisoned some 60 years worth of history in the name of making a darker, grittier DC universe is balls.

One of the main reasons I ever read DC comics over Marvel comics at times was because it embraced its campy, silly, and morally dis-ambiguous history and treated it with respect. For me, DC was about escapism, whereas Marvel was about heroes that I can personally relate to.

Basically, DC has transformed itself into a poor Marvel clone rather than embracing what made them unique.

No, it didn't. Crisis, Zero Hour, etc didn't completely jettison the histories, it just used the events to merge convergent histories together. It was no where near the complete flushing away that occurred with the reboot.

So are we to assume that 20 years from now, they'll reboot again? If so, I still don't think they can make Superman look cooler. Of course...looking cool has nothing to do with how good a comic is but I am not sure DC knows that.

No, it didn't. Crisis, Zero Hour, etc didn't completely jettison the histories, it just used the events to merge convergent histories together. It was no where near the complete flushing away that occurred with the reboot.
Eeeeeeeeeh, I think I have to disagree there. Crisis had lots of characters from the other universes needlessly killed just to declutter the DC comics continuity. Sure they justified it by saying that all the alternate characters merged into one character, but in the end they were really just the versions of the characters that people liked the best.

Well that's disappointingly plain. Fifty two variant covers...really just one cover Photoshopped a lot.
So its pretty much the exact same thing as one of the big two did a while ago, where you could buy a particular issue of something (I forget what) with the name of your LCS on the front. not really too surprised there. anyone remember that?

Wait, is that Green Arrow supposed to be Ollie, or Speedy?
That's Oliver. They've aged him down quite a bit. He's like the age of his pre-reboot son now. Incidentally, February will see him lose his fortune and company. Perhaps a return to the character's strengths is on the way.

Also, this:

• No, that’s not a typo. Vibe stars in his own ongoing monthly title, starting with this debut issue cowritten by GEOFF JOHNS!
• One of the most unlikely members of the Justice League of America ever (okay, THE most unlikely) will soon discover he’s one of the most powerful individuals on Earth. But how did Vibe get his abilities? What is the cost to them? And why does the JLA want him on the team so desperately?
• Plus: We’ve seen the Red Room and the Black Room, but what is...the Circus?
Well....I'm going to read it. Since they're not giving Cyborg an ongoing (for some reason, making him the only one of the new big seven without one), I'll take whatever Detroiter headlining a comic I can get. I just about messed my pants when the new Jay Garrick turned out to be from Lansing (meaning he may even be an MSU grad).

Hey, at least you GET heroes from your home town. The only Ohioian in DC comics is Black Alice and she's basically a villain. If I want a native hero team, I have to go to the web comic Spinnerette.

Hey, at least you GET heroes from your home town. The only Ohioian in DC comics is Black Alice and she's basically a villain. If I want a native hero team, I have to go to the web comic Spinnerette.
My literal home town, Livonia (a Detroit suburb), was the place the entity of Hope roosted after Blackest Night. The artwork was amusingly divorced for reality (imagine suburban sprawl, just miles of subdivisions with businesses along the major roads...that's us - we're literally in zoning textbooks) but it was a cool shout out nonetheless.

At least you guys HAVE real super heroes representing your states. When was the last non-comedy New Jersey based super hero? Not that many.

Edit: Feel free to correct me, I would be so okay with being wrong on this.

At least you guys HAVE real super heroes representing your states. When was the last non-comedy New Jersey based super hero? Not that many.

Edit: Feel free to correct me, I would be so okay with being wrong on this.
The (technically non-canon) Atlas of the DC Universe from 1990 said that Gotham City is located in New Jersey. So depending on the writer, you have the entire Bat-Family.

Who do we have from the upper peninsula of Michigan? No one, that's who.

Though, we're mistaken for Canadians so often, I'm claiming Alpha Flight and Wolverine.

Though, we're mistaken for Canadians so often, I'm claiming Alpha Flight and Wolverine.
True, but what's up there that's worth protecting? Michigan Tech and Oswald's Bear Ranch?

I don't know about the upper peninsula, but Guy Gardner is from Michigan.

I don't know about the upper peninsula, but Guy Gardner is from Michigan.
Actually, he's from Baltimore but went to school at the University of Michigan. Cyborg (in the DCnU) is from Detroit, Vibe is from Detroit, Gypsy might be from Michigan (her origin has her be a suburbanite who ran away from home on a one-way to Detroit...she could be a Grand Rapidian, an Ohioan, or from anywhere), and DCnU Jay "The Flash" Garrick is from Lansing. Marvel briefly had Peter David's X-Factor team based out of the D as well, though they were all non-natives.

I'm actually rather happy that they made Cyborg the Detroit super hero in the DCnU, though it seems a little on the nose (a black dude whose super power is based in engineering is from a predominantly African American city known for the auto industry). The Yoopers never get any super heroes because there's nothing really up there. Although they are the home to Aperture Labs from the Portal games, so they have Chell.

So is Beast Boy at least still funny? I may have asked this before, but I can take him being Red as long as he is still silly. And then he evolves into Changeling and gets all cool and stuff. Such is the natural progression of things.

These days, my favourite rendition of the DCU is Young Justice. Apparently, I'm not alone in this feeling.

Which is probably why DC is seemingly trying to do away with the show.

DC's not doing it, Warner Brothers (or possibly just Cartoon Network) are the ones trying to pimp the dragon show over the DC block... which is strange because the DC block is going to be getting even larger in the future, now that Teen Titans GO! is turning into a full fledged show. Unless they are planning to drop ether Green Lantern (which currently hinges on a second season, even if it was kinda meh) or Young Justice (the only successful Saturday morning show CN has right now).

Cartoon Network makes a lot of strange decisions with it's line up, especially with regards to it's critically acclaimed shows. It really only feels like Adventure Time and Regular Show are immune to this.

These days, my favourite rendition of the DCU is Young Justice. Apparently, I'm not alone in this feeling.

Which is probably why DC is seemingly trying to do away with the show.
YJ has had a nearly unprecedented* level of access to characters - Wonder Woman, Wonder Girl, Captain Marvel, Black Adam, Icon, Rocket, etc. - that had previously been somewhat inaccessible. The blame for Young Justice's delays rest squarely on the shoulders of Cartoon Network.