Diablo III, NOOOOOOOOO!!!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Pretty much the only company I make sure to buy from brand new and pre-order from is Atlus. I'm pre-ordering Skyrim not because I care about supporting Bethesda, but because I want to play it day one. I adore the Assassin's Creed series, but Ubisoft has so many followers, I just don't feel the need to get AC: Revelations until there's a little bit of a price drop. I can say that for most games.

I'm not pre-ordering Diablo III because I don't get any enjoyment from its kind of game. I only bought Magicka because I heard it was funny, and then found out my computer can't even run the damn thing, so I still don't know if it was worth the few dollars.

How could you be excited about Skyrim day one? Their track record is NOT good for launches..... If you're buying it on console though? Yeah, go right ahead.

PC? I'll wait till the Goty edition is out, the mod community has made the amazing game a legendary one, and the bugs are finally ironed out after the 10th patch.

How could you be excited about Skyrim day one? Their track record is NOT good for launches..... If you're buying it on console though? Yeah, go right ahead.

PC? I'll wait till the Goty edition is out, the mod community has made the amazing game a legendary one, and the bugs are finally ironed out after the 10th patch.
Yeah, I know about the PC situation, but I'll be playing Skyrim on my PS3 and HDTV. I already have enough PC games I can't even play on my piece of crap video card.

I know that Blizzard could release a patch to remove the online requirement. And I'm also saying that I will be much more likely to buy the game if/when that happens. :)

--Patrick

C

Chibibar

Jay. I didn't buy dragon age 2 cause I didn't finish dragon age 1 :) I'm waiting for the GOTY edition.

But I am one of the few who don't download game that I didn't buy :)

You also have the kind of money to buy hundreds of dvds and lifetime Mmo membership so I'm willing to guess we might not be in the same income bracket :)

C

Chibibar

You also have the kind of money to buy hundreds of dvds and lifetime Mmo membership so I'm willing to guess we might not be in the same income bracket :)
We sacrifice going out ;)
we hole up in our home.

So the argument basically boils down to "WoW does it so why can't Diablo do it?"

Analogous to you can play chess while sitting, why can't you do that in football?

As a completely unscientific Halforums survey, how many folks regularly played D2 offline?

I certainly did not, whether I was playing solo or grouping.

If DRM isn't the issue behind the online only motivation, then I'm not really sure why they care so much if someone creates offline characters etc...

As much as I don't care about online only games that "phone home", I can't really see the point they're trying to make with not offering an offline mode of play. The dev's should just come out and say, "we want online only because it just sounds more "high tech".

C

Chibibar

If DRM isn't the issue behind the online only motivation, then I'm not really sure why they care so much if someone creates offline characters etc...

As much as I don't care about online only games that "phone home", I can't really see the point they're trying to make with not offering an offline mode of play. The dev's should just come out and say, "we want online only because it just sounds more "high tech".
I have no issue for "check in/check out" system of character or phone home on initial launch, but constant online play (forcing) for a game that is NOT MMO is silly IMO.
If Diablo 3 is going to be MMO, then yay go online like WoW.

It's starting to sound like Final Fantasy: Crystal Chronicles with "bring your friends into your world."

Their surprise is hilarious to me.

I was talking to a group of friends about this last night. They were all pretty disgusted by the whole thing and almost to a man said that if this didn't change they were more than happy to spend their time playing Torchlight 2 instead.

I always played offline except for when a friend wanted to do a ladder run when it was resetting. I hated how trying to play online it always first took a long time to update usually cutting my set aside play time in half. I hate that in starcraft 2 also. Thats why it took eight months or so for me to finish the campaign because I usually just wanted to play for 30 minutes or so before I had to leave somewhere and having to wait for it to update every time even though I only did single player was infuriating and frankly kept me from playing it most of the time.

Wow! Unexpected, but interesting.
Same here, I never played offline, it is interesting to see so many others actually play offline as the basis for their game play.

Then again, Torchlight was a very well done and popular spiritual successor to Diablo, and it was entirely offline, so I should have realized the market was there. Hopefully Blizzard will realize that, but probably not. I think they are to set in turning the new Battle.net 2.0 into a entirely online social experience, and are going to dig themselves a hole if they are not careful.

Dave

Staff member
I just loaded D2 on my PC again last night. I'm a level 16 Barbarian named ARGH.

Man I love that game.

Heh. My favorite barbarian is named Thag. He Leap-s very unsoftly and carries a 2H Axe.
When I want to dual-wield, I usually break out my assassin.

Soon as I find my 4th code*, Kati and I will probably dive back in.

--Patrick
*I've finally assembled all 4 CDs, but I'm missing one of the sleeves. I've never been able to find all 4 of them at one time.

I find it rather odd that out of all the classes, the Barbarian was the only one to return. Weirder still is Blizzard confirmed last year the Barbarian we play is technically the SAME ONE from Diablo 2, just much older. (Well... unless you decide to make a female version)

I hope much like The Wanderer (screw your silly retcons), The Summoner, and Bloodraven, we get cameos of the D2 "characters". I will be giddy like a school girl if I get to see the old Necromancer.

We should do a HF-Only 8? player D2 run. We create LVL 1 newbies, all join the same game and play all night YEAAAH!

I dunno, I get so annoyed at game graphics. I have Diablo II installed on my PC, when I found out I could link my CD-Key to B.Net and download it since I lost the discs, but when I loaded it I couldn't stand it.

Shannow

Staff member
I honestly have absolutely no problem with Blizzard doing this. I know I will be getting it day one.

For now, I think I will bust out Titan's Quest again and play some to get me back into the Diablo mood.

Status
Not open for further replies.