Diablo III, NOOOOOOOOO!!!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Is there any point of me picking up this game at any point? I never played the first 2 and when I tried to go back and play the second part about a year or two ago, I just couldn't get into it. I also didn't get very involved in Torchlight, even though I own it. I've yet to have a "dungeon crawler with point/click mechanics" appeal to me.

Necronic

Staff member
Its worth picking up to at least give it a go. If you don't like it, you don't like it.

Best way to describe it though (since you haven't really played it) is that its like WoW that has been streamlined and then doped to the eyeballs with meth and crack.

Only had a short period to play last night, but the game definitely has all the charms I missed about Diablo, with the added bonus of the character being a little more "talkative". No longer is the class a wooden mute, but actually has conversations with the NPCs and even throws out quips, like I entered a cellar only for my Wizard to muse were all the treasure was hidden.

They also have "Lore Messages" which are a lot like the recorded messages in Bioshock. The older games has stuff like this that was static, but Diablo 3 you can listen while still playing. So you find a book or see a new enemy and you can listen to a little information about it either told by the book writer or Deckard Cain. I really love thing like that since it lets you get a little more involved with the place.

The skill system is very different then what I was expecting. I could explain it but it's better just to experiment with it yourself, they have a skill calculator setup on the community site. I actually am liking the system because it limits your skills you can use while also giving you a lot of control over how the skills change and react using runestones. Could be lots of customization in it.

http://us.battle.net/d3/en/game/

Is there any point of me picking up this game at any point? I never played the first 2 and when I tried to go back and play the second part about a year or two ago, I just couldn't get into it. I also didn't get very involved in Torchlight, even though I own it. I've yet to have a "dungeon crawler with point/click mechanics" appeal to me.
If you didn't like the second one and didn't like Torchlight then there's no way you're going to like this. I'm amazed you even thought there would a chance that you would like this.

I dunno, some games do massive overhauls to engines/genres that they can transend. Was wondering if this would be one of them. *shrug*

I dunno, some games do massive overhauls to engines/genres that they can transend. Was wondering if this would be one of them. *shrug*
Ah. In this case Blizzard is sticking close to the formula, so I don't think you'd like it. I could be wrong, of course.

Well for example:
I've never liked RTS games, however I loved Starcraft 1 and played it for years. Starcraft 2 came along and I had no interest.
I'd never had interest on online multiplayer FPS games, but I play TF2 on a daily basis now.
I was never into board style strategy games, but love the hell out of FFT.

So this was simply a question of whether it transcends it's genre and is a game that even non-fans of the genre will get into.

C

Chibibar

Well for example:
I've never liked RTS games, however I loved Starcraft 1 and played it for years. Starcraft 2 came along and I had no interest.
I'd never had interest on online multiplayer FPS games, but I play TF2 on a daily basis now.
I was never into board style strategy games, but love the hell out of FFT.

So this was simply a question of whether it transcends it's genre and is a game that even non-fans of the genre will get into.
You may like like it according to the some of the site and changes from Diablo 1 and 2. Since it is a "remake/overhaul" of the story, it is better you DIDN'T play D1 and 2 :)

C

Chibibar

Oh, it's not a continuation of the story? That's actually pretty good news for me. Thanks Chibi.
well....... There is a big stink of that D3 kinda "retro changes" major events from 1 and 2 :( which upsets a lot of people.

I personally did NOT get into beta (I am hoping) but from the stuff I read, I feel it is a re-telling/re-make/re-new (whatever you wanna call it) of the story and kinda start all over.
Either way. I think it will be pretty cool to play IMO

You may like like it according to the some of the site and changes from Diablo 1 and 2. Since it is a "remake/overhaul" of the story, it is better you DIDN'T play D1 and 2
This is not true at all.

The story takes place 20 years after the events of Diablo 2 and ties heavily into the mythos of the last games. The start of the game is a meteor literally crashing into the Cathedral from Diablo 1, where Deckard Cain and his adopted niece Leah are doing research, which causes your character to travel to New Tristram. The second quest you get involves killing the undead that have taken up residence in the burned out remains of the original Tristram, after it was destroyed in Diablo 2.

The only overhaul is more of a light retcon to the old games, with the origin of the warrior/dark wanderer character being changed to that of the lost son of King Leoric, named Aiden, who returned to Tristram to find his father insane and his brother possessed by Diablo. One of the NPCs from Diablo 1, Adria the Witch, is even going to be a major character this time around, and hinted as the possible the mother of Leah.

P.S. The male Barbarian is even the same Barbarian from Diablo 2.

Like I mentioned before though, they seem to be dropping little lore hooks and other things that bring you up to speed with the old games. While to get the whole experience you would want to play all of them, the new one, I think, will stand on it's own very well.

If gameplay is the issue, I have to say the new skill system looks pretty neat. It allows you a lot of customization, because while you have like 21 skills you can use, you can only equip 6 to be active. Then with those 6 you can change the usage of the skill further through Runestones, like for instance I can alter the Demon Hunters raven companion to be a group of Ferrets that collect my gold for me, or change my undead hellhounds the Witch Doctor summons to be on fire constantly or have a chance of being revived when killed. Playing a Wizard and want Meteor to be different? Put a Runestone in to convert it into a freezing comet that slows. Fill the three passive bonus slots and you can really tune your class with things like faster running speed, more offense, more defense, or better utility.

Once you find a skill set you enjoy, you can even take it into the new Arena, allowing you to fight other players of a similar skill range, all hopefully trying different skill sets.

In the end though, if you didn't like Diablo 2 because you couldn't get into the story, you may not like Diablo 3 even with the lore hooks. You can already tell in the first few minutes a lot of the game and the story are going to hinge on meeting familiar faces and seeing familiar locations.

C

Chibibar

This is not true at all.

The story takes place 20 years after the events of Diablo 2 and ties heavily into the mythos of the last games. The start of the game is a meteor literally crashing into the Cathedral from Diablo 1, where Deckard Cain and his adopted niece Leah are doing research, which causes your character to travel to New Tristram. The second quest you get involves killing the undead that have taken up residence in the burned out remains of the original Tristram, after it was destroyed in Diablo 2.

The only overhaul is more of a light retcon to the old games, with the origin of the warrior/dark wanderer character being changed to that of the lost son of King Leoric, named Aiden, who returned to Tristram to find his father insane and his brother possessed by Diablo. One of the NPCs from Diablo 1, Adria the Witch, is even going to be a major character this time around, and hinted as the possible the mother of Leah.

P.S. The male Barbarian is even the same Barbarian from Diablo 2.
Ah. I personally wouldn't count that as "light retcon" I mean they pretty much took the ending of the 1st and the premise of the d2 and thrown out the window (it was the warrior who did the shard in the head thing and starting of 2)

Now then that will depend on what you didn't like. Was it the core style of game, or the mechanics behind the skills?

I think where Diablo 3 will shine over D1/D2 is going to be the way it handles the skills. Rather then D1, which let you have everything without limit no matter the class, or Diablo 2, which has three mostly ridged trees you went down (similar to WoWs talents), the Diablo 3 system gives you all the skills and then lets you pick the ones you like and tune them. It leave you open to experiment with some strange combinations. Want to concentrate on group play and healing? You can technically give the Monk class skills tuned specifically for that purpose. Want to make the Barbarian an AOE powerhouse? Tune your skills to do more area damage.

You can also add in "Followers" into the single player, which are basically the next evolution of Diablo 2s mercs, having real histories and unique skills, plus they level with you. Playing a Demon Hunter with a Templar ally may be a lot different then when you play with the Enchantess ally.

If your issue is more the core of the game, the idea of running into a room and brutally murdering monsters with flashy, powerful spells. Then nothing will change in that regard, it's very faithful to the formula. The game was designed to be pretty easy in Normal, and then grow harder once you get into Hard and Nightmare modes. If you like a challenge, try Hardcore Mode and get through Nightmare, and prepare to someday eat your keyboard when a fetish kills you.

Ah. I personally wouldn't count that as "light retcon" I mean they pretty much took the ending of the 1st and the premise of the d2 and thrown out the window (it was the warrior who did the shard in the head thing and starting of 2)
That didn't change. It was still the warrior.

You have to understand, the warrior had no backstory. Neither did the Rogue or Sorcerer. They had no names or purposes other then showing up when stuff started getting crazy.

What they did was rather then leaving his history a mystery, they gave him a backstory so that we understand who he was and why he was there. He is still the Warrior, he is still the Dark Wanderer, but before that, before he showed up with his sword and shield, he was King Leoric's lost son.

Adding some spoilers. I already kind of mentioned a bit of this but avoided one revelation. If you don't want to know how the story is developing based on what we learn in the beta, don't read below.

So the story goes that after Aiden (The Warrior), the lost son of King Leoric, killed his brother to stop Diablo, he put the stone in his own head and returned to Tristram before the events of Diablo 2. He kept the stone hidden, but Adria the Witch sensed something was stiring inside him and attempted to "comfort" him. And by comfort I mean BOW CHICKA BOW WOW BOOM. Aiden, now the Dark Wanderer, was slowly losing himself, so he left Tristram, and Adria, realized soon a shadow would fall on the town worst then the one before, left not long after. Her one night with Aiden ended up siring a child, Leah, which she would later give up to Deckard Cain for reasons that have yet to be revealed. Deckard Cain raised her like a daughter and protege after the events of Diablo 2, and took her to New Tristram so they could study the old Cathedral, gaining insight into the possibility of Diablo and the Prime Evils returning.

Well I know why I'll never play this game, any server hiccup or connection hiccup and you get to start over again.

That is savagely annoying.

Well I know why I'll never play this game, any server hiccup or connection hiccup and you get to start over again.

That is savagely annoying.
Is this a new problem found, or are you saying that because all character information is stored server side? While I don't like the occlusion of offline characters, I played strictly realm-only characters in Diablo 2, and I never once lost a character to a server hiccup. At worst, I lost a couple of minutes of character progression, and I think that was only during the beta.

I didn't lose a character, I meant start an area over again. Twice now I haven't been able to finish the second level of this dungeon because I'd get disconnected and have to start at the beginning. It's very annoying.

I've pretty much decided that I won't get this unless my circle of friends state that it's completely unmissable. I loved Diablo 2, but the only multi-player I ever did was over LAN.

I just don't really have a strong urge to get this one.

I didn't lose a character, I meant start an area over again. Twice now I haven't been able to finish the second level of this dungeon because I'd get disconnected and have to start at the beginning. It's very annoying.
Fair enough, but you can't really judge the stability of a game from the beta. That's why it's the beta.

But the thing is blizz is putting the quality of my experience in my service providers hands. There are only a few sp's I would trust with my junk in their hands.
In Diablo 2, if you dropped from a game, it would stay active for around ten minutes, giving you time to rejoin it. I wonder if blizz will implement something like that.

Good lord there is a lot of whining in here.
I'm not whining. I just literally have seen nothing about the game that excites me. While i find the persistent online connection to be dubious at best, even the earliest news hasnt really made me say, Damnn, cant wait to play this.

Necronic

Staff member
Wasn't really talking about your posts. But really the persistent online stuff is pretty much here to stay, so...you know.....dealwithitbro.

Also, someone said that Hardcore mode is about bragging rights. It can't be about bragging because hardcore players would never waste their breath talking to the regular pubbies. The idea of trying to impress them is just illogical. It would be like showing off to my cat.

In all seriousness though it's just about making the game more interesting/less of a grind. Once I started playing hardcore I never went back. Makes lag spikes something that will tempt you to put a fist through your computer monitor though.

I'm whiny because I'm irritated that 4 times now I've been unable to make any progress because of a hiccup in connection?

Necronic

Staff member
No you're whiny because you've done nothing but complain about why you will never play this game. While you continue to play it. And seriously, discoing in a beta is pretty much standard.

Disconnecting may be standard, losing progress up from the start of the last stage of a dungeon that took 15 minutes to click through the enemies over and over shouldn't be.

It'd be like disconnecting in world of warcraft and having to start the entire instance over again.

Maybe what they're REALLY beta testing is not gameplay, but to find how tolerant a player is to getting disconnected. How much progress they can stand to lose, etc.
If so, you should complain early, and often.

--Patrick

Status
Not open for further replies.