Did someone order tacos?

Glad to see you're doing well, Calleja.

I'm good, vacation to Punta Cana in 2 weeks, at good job for 7 years, wife is kicking ass at hers and is finally appreciated. Pandemic has been weirdly good for us.

Zappit

Staff member
The last few years...okay...

I ended Supervillainous in 2019 - 624 comics and a fully completed webcomic with a complete webcomic.

Bought a new car - my first brand new car - in early 2020. Then I got transferred to a new position five minutes from home. Then the world shut down. Two years alter and I haven’t even put 1,500 miles on it yet.

The kidneys finally failed in early 2021. Won an award at work and then started dialysis on an emergency basis a few weeks later - my creatinine was 14.9 and jumped up five points the month before. For reference, a creatinine level of 20 is irreversible and fatal.

I was on PD dialysis for almost six months. That is a kind where they pump medicinal fluid into your perineum. I was carrying two liters of fluid inside me for most of the day. It was painful. It was uncomfortable. It was hell.

Then I got a new kidney last October. My mother was my donor, and they found breast cancer during her screening. It was very early and she’s in the clear, which allowed her to still donate.

Had some rejection complications that required getting a chest catheter that ran into my neck. It was used to cycle out my blood and remove rejection antibodies. It worked. They are under control and on pace to hopefully just vanish for good.

Started a new webcomic - Huzzah! - and I’m enjoying doing that.

Work tried to fire me twice after getting the transplant - clearly medical discrimination - and I’m in the process of moving to a new job.

Got a girlfriend. She’s brilliant, kind, pretty, and I’m crazy about her.

I'm so glad you guys are (mostly, damn some scares there) ok, and that this little community has held strong for so freaking long. I joined 14 years ago, that's literally over a third of my life. (Actually I think it's 37% cause I'm 37, that's funny).

I've been lurking and posting here and there and the new avatars really throw me off but there were also some user changes? steinman is strawman but he's not around much anymore? I know he and I bumped heads last time I was around here but that still surprised me.

Who else changed their name!?

I'm so glad you guys are (mostly, damn some scares there) ok, and that this little community has held strong for so freaking long. I joined 14 years ago, that's literally over a third of my life. (Actually I think it's 37% cause I'm 37, that's funny).

I've been lurking and posting here and there and the new avatars really throw me off but there were also some user changes? steinman is strawman but he's not around much anymore? I know he and I bumped heads last time I was around here but that still surprised me.

Who else changed their name!?
Well, I'm JCM.

Dammit Hucgulnss (that's how I pronounce your name), It's pronounced "Cah-yeh-ha", the LL sounds like a non-vowel Y as in Yard.

But I'm thinking of changing my username to what I'm using recently in most games and Twitch when I streamed last year.

See, I got really really into mechanical keyboards. As in I bought a soldering iron and started buiding them from scratch for friends. Collecting switches and keycaps.

The word for keyboard in spanish is "teclado". My last name is Calleja.

So I've become.. TECLALLEJA

That's easier to pronounce, right!?!

I've been to Texas, tin.

It is NOT a given. In fact the most mangled pronunciation I've heard was in the Dallas airport where the TSA agent read my passport as "collegiate".

Wait wait wait.

It's not pronounced Cal-eh-jah?

Everything I thought I knew was a lie! :p
NICK CAM AHN MAHN NOT YOU TOO

But I guess it's expected in this weird language where pronunciation and spelling are unrelated and people can't even agree on if it's jiff or giff (fun fact, spanish dictionaries don't have pronunciation guides BECAUSE IT'S ALWAYS SAID HOW IT'S SPELLED)

I'm like 96.5% certain I even uploaded an audio file of me pronouncing it because everyone was just too confused by that LL sound (right around the time JCM insisted I was prononuncing my own name wrong because he had an argentinian friend who told him)

I'm really curious how "Teclalleja" would be parsed by americans actually.

To be fair, I think most of us do know how it's supposed to be pronounced and are just yanking your chain.
Having said that, it's clearly techno-cauliflower with the F silent, right?

Tecla-yay-ha
That's close, but the middle syllable doesn't end in "y" too, it's just ye-, closer to the first syllable in "generous" (short e is how it's called I think)

Tecla-yeh-ha

To be fair, I think most of us do know how it's supposed to be pronounced and are just yanking your chain.
Having said that, it's clearly techno-cauliflower with the F silent, right?
I'll show ya a silent F :mad:

Funny thing is english speakers pronounce my first name with an F weird too, Fernando. THERE'S NO "OUGH" AT THE END DAMMIT, IT DOESN'T RHYME WITH DOUGH

I blame Abba.

A real taco starts out at what the graphic calls "toast" on the plate and becomes what's called "Taco" in the chart ONLY WHEN HELD.

See, tortillas are FLEXIBLE and BEND. They can be rolled into what you call taquitos straight from the comal that makes them.

They do NOT crunch. They do NOT break.

Tostadas do, though.

A hot dog is a taco.
Practically every pie is a quiche.
Most meat pies are calzones.
A Big Mac (the real ones, with a slice of bread in the middle) is a cake.
Lots of types of pastry are suddenly sushi.

Myeah, I've seen the image before, and I'm still not impressed :-P

Dave

Staff member
A real taco starts out at what the graphic calls "toast" on the plate and becomes what's called "Taco" in the chart ONLY WHEN HELD.

See, tortillas are FLEXIBLE and BEND. They can be rolled into what you call taquitos straight from the comal that makes them.

They do NOT crunch. They do NOT break.

Tostadas do, though.

In the end, though, it's basically the same ingredients arranged in slightly different ways with the wrapping/food holder of choice being floppy or crispy.

In the end, though, it's basically the same ingredients arranged in slightly different ways with the wrapping/food holder of choice being floppy or crispy.

Of course, but the arrangement is literally one of the most important things in food definition. This is getting into "hot dog is a sandwich" (great podcast) territory, but 99% of mexican food is just corn in different configurations, doesn't mean a tostada is the same as a tortilla.

Or are you gonna tell me a New Yorker isn't gonna spit in my face if I tell him Chicago style pizza is the same as new york pizza, just thicker?

What I learned recently is that the most egregious thing about pizza in Chicago is not the deep dish.... people from Chicago don't eat deep dish on a regular basis, it's more of a tourist or special occasion thing.

But what they DO eat regularly, like when they order a pizza to their home, is they're usually CUT IN SQUARES NOT TRIANGLES

LIKE IT'S A KIDS' BIRTHDAY PARTY OR SOMETHING

THE CRUST TO CHEESE RATIO IS ALL FUCKED IN CHICAGO, ALL THE TIME, FOR EVERYONE, NO WONDER IT'S INFAMOUS FOR VIOLENCE EVERYONE IS FIGHTING OVER THE BEST PIZZA SQUARE
1659060301612.png

First Mathias comes back, now Calleja. What's with these returns? Who's next? Shego? Gusto? Shannow? Espy? Allen Who is Quiet?
It will probably stick with me forever that Allen's final posts were getting angry at criticisms towards Kurtz's laziness. His last post was literally calling me stupid.

It will probably stick with me forever that Allen's final posts were getting angry at criticisms towards Kurtz's laziness. His last post was literally calling me stupid.

Wow. Flipping out, insulting, and rage quitting over a comic strip.

I'd say that's kinda out of line, but I'd be a hypocrite since I've lashed out over dumb shit, too. Usually because of various unrelated stressors going on in my life at the time.

Allen who is Quiet had a penguin avatar, right?

I'M SORRY MY MEMORY IS VISUAL AND I REMEMBER MOST OF YOU BY THE CLASSIC AVATARS, GAS BANDIT NOT BEING A CAN OF BEAN IS STILL WEIRD TO ME

Who else left the forum? is HowDroll still around? What about moz? I know ZenMonkey isn't, but I lost her handle on twitter, is she ok these days?

GasBandit

Staff member
Allen who is Quiet had a penguin avatar, right?

I'M SORRY MY MEMORY IS VISUAL AND I REMEMBER MOST OF YOU BY THE CLASSIC AVATARS, GAS BANDIT NOT BEING A CAN OF BEAN IS STILL WEIRD TO ME

Who else left the forum? is HowDroll still around? What about moz? I know ZenMonkey isn't, but I lost her handle on twitter, is she ok these days?
I switched avatars years before you left. I retired the can of beans in early 2014 when I started producing youtube videos that people actually watched.

The current avatar was drawn by Celt Z and was inspired by some HF gaming night shenanigans.

HowDroll and ZenMonkey haven't been around in a long time unfortunately. A lot of people drifted away over the years. Every few years someone pops in to say hi, but they seldom stay.

Of course, but the arrangement is literally one of the most important things in food definition. This is getting into "hot dog is a sandwich" (great podcast) territory, but 99% of mexican food is just corn in different configurations, doesn't mean a tostada is the same as a tortilla.

Or are you gonna tell me a New Yorker isn't gonna spit in my face if I tell him Chicago style pizza is the same as new york pizza, just thicker?
So, you're basically saying a hot dog is a taco? :)