Energy - Fossil, Renewable, Nuclear

This just goes to prove that American shale oil was never a sensible business proposition on its own, just something that was economical because of deliberate choice. OPEC and Russia could've competed it out of the market at any point they wanted to.
Note that European oil, Russian oil and middle eastern oil aren't selling for negative prices. All-time lows that area below cost, yes - but there's a big difference between selling at $18 and selling for $-35.

I feel the need to point out that the origins of the data have pointed out this is a misleading tweet, as those are all oil tankers, not just the stranded ones.

To this day, I can't unhear:

Dance on my balls
Cat fucking a handbag
Yours only yours
I own a single dance band
It's no lie
Lisa in the crowd said,
"Look! Danny had a vagina malfunction!"
Nah, it's mos def "Dance on me balls!"

She's clearly scotish...

Also:

"I own a single band stand"

and

"Look! Danny had a vagina maltownsend!"

And, no, i have no idea what a maltownsend is either....

This is extraordinary. I've wondered if windows could be converted into solar panels and apparently that technology is now in the works. And solar cloths, even clothing, is being worked on. Amazing.

This technology is still being worked on, of course, and isn't available commercially, but imagine the possibilities if it was? Windows that generate electricity. Solar-powered canopies and tents. Jackets that could charge your smart phone right in your pocket.

I haven't watched the video yet, but I know that there are people working on transmissive panels, ones that convert SOME light into power, but let the rest through. We're also hearing about smart glasses from companies like Google, Apple, Amazon, and more.

Imagine that leading to getting prescription sunglasses that automatically darken in sunlight...darken because they are sensing an opportunity to ramp up the charging of their built-in SmartLenz™ AR functionality.

--Patrick

Last edited:
Recent research is now strongly suggesting that the extinction event at the end of the Devonian period (which most people know as the end of most of the trilobites) was caused by a warming climate that contributed to the destruction of Earth's ozone layer which resulted in the Earth being irradiated by UV radiation which either killed or sterilized most surface life.

Boy, it's a good thing that can't happen again.

--Patrick

I wonder if by "legal uncertainty" they mean "we mighht dig ourself a hole so deep we might never get back out of it again."

--Patrick

Massachussetts joins California, no sales of new gas-powered cars starting in 2035
Oil stocks were already falling when CA announced their plans, but prices climbed back up ahead of increased cold-weather demand. There is a 14-year clock ticking, though. 14 years to transition their entire lines over to alternative fuels* electric powerplants.

--Patrick
*I'm not sure whether the prohibition is solely on engines powered by fossil fuel or on any internal-combustion engine, which would also rule out CNG, ethanol, diesel, etc. We'll see.

Any pledge that doesn't require action until the people writing the pledge aren't responsible for implementing it means nothing to me.

Biden plans on canceling the Keystone XL pipeline as part of his first week in office.
Oh yeah, our premier is fucking panicking and begging our prime minister (the one he's blamed for literally every problem Alberta has) to do something. Hee-larious. Or it would be, if it wasn't likely that Alberta government pension money hasn't been massively tied up in it.

Have I mentioned that Alberta fucking sucks?

PS Fuck Keystone XL.

Global warming continues to worsen. California and Massachusetts have already drawn lines in the sand. Studies continually discover new ways that extraction methods are screwing over the environment. Other studies show how we've already reached and passed the tipping point where renewables are less expensive (and less burden) than fossil generation.

If you're still stumping on any kind of platform involving coal, oil, or other fossil fuel, then you need to be cast aside and pushed into a tar pit like the dinosaur you are.

--Patrick

Global warming continues to worsen. California and Massachusetts have already drawn lines in the sand. Studies continually discover new ways that extraction methods are screwing over the environment. Other studies show how we've already reached and passed the tipping point where renewables are less expensive (and less burden) than fossil generation.

If you're still stumping on any kind of platform involving coal, oil, or other fossil fuel, then you need to be cast aside and pushed into a tar pit like the dinosaur you are.

--Patrick
Hey! The dinosaurs didn't abuse fossil fuels!

An unexpected barrier to the adoption of solar power...it's too cheap!
It could become difficult to convince developers and investors to continue building ever more solar plants if they stand to make less money or even lose it.
In other words, we have the capability, RIGHT NOW, to build enough solar capacity to supply THE ENTIRE WORLD with electricity that costs PRACTICALLY NOTHING, but the reason we won't do that is because SOME PEOPLE WON'T MAKE ENOUGH PROFIT.

In other other words, we are literally on the cusp of Utopia-esque free (or nearly free) electricity for the entire human race worldwide, but we're not gonna get that because "Ooo, sorry...that would mean the loss of too many jobs!"

--Patrick

This is how things work. Back in the early 1900s after the invention of the light bulb, engineers were able to make a bulb that could last decades. All the guys funding the development were like "woah woah woah, how are we going to get people to buy more bulbs if they last that long? Unacceptable. Make it worst." and then in the background made a pact with each other to all make worst lifetime limited bulbs so that the money would keep flowing in. They did the same thing to electric cars, and other great advances, because of what it would do to profits.

It sucks, because capitalism can push innovation when a good idea becomes viable, but it also has the habit of kneecapping the full potential of those innovations in the interests of dragging out revenue for as long as possible.

And the thing is, it doesn't even need to be an intentional thing on part of the producers of goods.

It's just that the ones making the stuff that lasts a life-time never get repeat business from the same buyer, and it probably costs more to make, while the ones that last a lot less guarantee the buyer has to buy more soon™, and have less costs because the prime material doesn't need to be very good anyway, sso it's probably cheaper.

capitalism can push innovation when a good idea becomes viable, but it also has the habit of kneecapping the full potential of those innovations in the interests of dragging out revenue for as long as possible.
This is the literally the point where the government is supposed to step in and be like, "Is Big Business too timid to take those last few steps into the future? Nobody wants to go first? Well FUCK those guys! If they don't get moving and build out enough capacity to supply this fine country with all the power it'll ever need EVEN IF it means not making as much money as they want, we're gonna go eminent domain on those assholes and make 'em do it anyway for even less! By the time we're done, every building in America will be able to continuously run their furnace and air conditioning simultaneously and the electricity to do so will cost less than $5/mo! So what'll it be, power people? El Cheapo or El Repo? Get with the program, or Uncle Sam is gonna come for the keys to your kingdom!"

I mean, if the government's primary focus was where it's supposed to be, which is on things like, I don't know, PROMOTING THE GENERAL WELFARE or some shit, then that's what would happen.

Alas.

--Patrick

You’re right. And if money, lobbying, and fucking bribery hadn’t been enshrined as a valid form of speech, there’s a good chance that the government would step in and do all that. But the various robber barons of our world have a stranglehold on Washington D.C. and won’t let that come to pass until we’re all fucking dead.

And with their last dying breath, they’ll say it was someone else’s fault all along.

In other other words, we are literally on the cusp of Utopia-esque free (or nearly free) electricity for the entire human race worldwide, but we're not gonna get that because "Ooo, sorry...that would mean the loss of too many jobs!"
In case I'm not clear on why I am so frustrated by this, keep in mind that almost all of North America is on the verge of transitioning pretty much all private transportation from internal combustion-powered to electric over the next 25 years or so, and having such an abundant electric supply would be like if gas prices suddenly fell to 20 cents/gal (€0.04/l).

--Patrick

figmentPez

Staff member
The last country on earth to use leaded gasoline, Algeria, has finally stopped producing it and has run out its supply.

A century of mass producing leaded gasoline is finally over. Here's the asshole who started it:

Read the thread, it's a doozy.