Fate of the Rogue's Gallery

Do you want to see Rogue's Galleries for this new forum?

• Yes

Votes: 23 71.9%
  • No

Votes: 9 28.1%

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.
I enjoyed the Rogues Gallery. It emphasized to me how we're a community, made up of individuals but merged into a collective (if a rather disjointed one).

To that end, would it be possible to put ALL the avatars from ALL users into the Gallery? That way it's no longer a popularity contest, you could just list all the avatars in alphabetical order. And put out a warning two weeks in advance, anyone without an avatar but wants to get into the Gallery should avatar up, stat.

I enjoyed the Rogues Gallery. It emphasized to me how we're a community, made up of individuals but merged into a collective (if a rather disjointed one).

To that end, would it be possible to put ALL the avatars from ALL users into the Gallery? That way it's no longer a popularity contest, you could just list all the avatars in alphabetical order. And put out a warning two weeks in advance, anyone without an avatar but wants to get into the Gallery should avatar up, stat.
All avatars were lost during transfer, only the people who actually bothered to put one back have one. So it'd be 700+ spots of empty spaces.[/QUOTE]

That being said, I have all the avatars I used to make the DURR mosaic, which was the beginning of April 2009, so if anyone needs an avatar from the old forum from that time, let me know.

-Adam

All avatars were lost during transfer, only the people who actually bothered to put one back have one. So it'd be 700+ spots of empty spaces.[/QUOTE]

Yeah, which is why Steiney would need to remind people to start using an avatar if they want to be in the Gallery. If someone uses no avatar then I wouldn't really expect a blank space for them in the Rogues Gallery, they'd just be left out.

O

Occasional Poster

Actually this is flawed, the number 1 most visited profile (by hundreds of visits) is Occasional Poster. Why? Spambots, that's why. His name is so generic it receives the most hits from bots, heh.
I was wondering about that! :paranoid:

I'm lucky that I did not leave my e-mail public lol

K

Kitty Sinatra

which reminds me. The wiki is turning into the "popularity contest" suggested for the new rogues gallery. The users who actually have a page are the competitors, but those users whose pages actually say something are the finalists.

The winner's the one with the longest page.

which reminds me. The wiki is turning into the "popularity contest" suggested for the new rogues gallery. The users who actually have a page are the competitors, but those users whose pages actually say something are the finalists.

Nate vs Lever posted to user's wiki page in 3...2...

-Adam

J

JCM

Heh, I can foresee some users adding the "Better Nate than never"

ElJuski

Staff member
It's really sad how much people are getting emotionally invested in post counts and being popular on the forum. I still say go with the "Person Most Likely...". You can keep doing more, use different people, and people won't get butthurt about not "making it".

A

Andromache

It's really sad how much people are getting emotionally invested in post counts and being popular on the forum. I still say go with the "Person Most Likely...". You can keep doing more, use different people, and people won't get butthurt about not "making it".
i kinda like events where everyone can participate, like the avatar weeks, rather than an exclusionary set.

"Really sad" based off what exactly?

ElJuski

Staff member
i kinda like events where everyone can participate, like the avatar weeks, rather than an exclusionary set.[/QUOTE]

Of course--that's the best option and the best course (when and what is the next one?). But I think Steinman making a stupid list every once in a while with some lame jokes shouldn't destroy the egos of forum dwellers. But then again, sometimes I misplace the stock people take in internet.

And, Sheg--based off people's responses that I read in this thread. Then again, I only skimmed through a chunk of it, so I could be WAY off base. But it seems people actually give a shit about post counts and having rank in one of the inane cliques.

This thread was simple Juski:

Should we bring back the little Mosaic with the top 10-20 posters in it? I said yes.

Some others said that it couldnt' be done due to no more post count. Amorous said it could be done by checking the logs.

Finally, maybe one or two people said they wanted post counts back. I disagreed.

well, I think that if I want to see who the top posters are, I can just read the forum. I was on one of the rogues galleries once, if i recall, but meh, who cares?

well, I think that if I want to see who the top posters are, I can just read the forum. I was on one of the rogues galleries once, if i recall, but meh, who cares?
Again, it's not about reinstating post counts. It's just a mosaic of pictures of the most frequent posters.

A

Andromache

Again, it's not about reinstating post counts. It's just a mosaic of pictures of the most frequent posters.[/QUOTE]

and it's lame. like your mom.

My post said nothing about post counts, or bringing them back.

But, correct me if I'm wrong, the Rogues Gallery is just list of the top posters, and part of the discussion was about how such a list might be compiled, right? So posting frequency is part of the equation.

and If I want to see who the loudmouths are (including myself in that number), I just need to, you know, read the forum.

Shannow

Staff member
I wholehaertedly agree with Tin on this. I could be wrong, but at this point, it just seems like a thing where those top posters can go and look at it and feel special and supieror. Let it go, and let it die. Solves the stupidity, and prevents more bitching as well.

K

Kitty Sinatra

it just seems like a thing where those top posters can go and look at it and feel special and supieror.
Really? Hey Bubble, I got a question for you: Did topping the rogue's gallery make you feel superior?

PS. I'm betting his answer's gonna totally be "No."

Even better, here's a question for all of us who hit the rogue's gallery: Did being on the rogue's gallery make you feel superior to those below you?

PS. I'm betting the answers are gonna totally be a unanimous "No."

it just seems like a thing where those top posters can go and look at it and feel special and supieror.
Really? Hey Bubble, I got a question for you: Did topping the rogue's gallery make you feel superior?

PS. I'm betting his answer's gonna totally be "No."

Even better, here's a question for all of us who hit the rogue's gallery: Did being on the rogue's gallery make you feel superior to those below you?

PS. I'm betting the answers are gonna totally be a unanimous "No."[/QUOTE]
I'll chime in a "no" on feeling superior.

it was more or less: hey look, there's my avatar on a list of top posters. I guess I really post a lot. okay. now to do something that matters: read marmaduke:coffee:

I wholehaertedly agree with Tin on this. I could be wrong, but at this point, it just seems like a thing where those top posters can go and look at it and feel special and supieror. Let it go, and let it die. Solves the stupidity, and prevents more bitching as well.
The only real bitching here, is all the people who seem to have a problem with the mosaic being made.

Also, the poll results are pretty obvious.

J

JCM

But, correct me if I'm wrong, the Rogues Gallery is just list of the top posters, and part of the discussion was about how such a list might be compiled, right? So posting frequency is part of the equation.

and If I want to see who the loudmouths are (including myself in that number), I just need to, you know, read the forum.
Agreed.

It also guarantees that it wont be just the same few faces there, as people´s participation does change from time to time (heck, I doubt my post count is even 1% of my astronomical numbers before), so there is nothing wrong with a "top participators Rogue gallery"

GasBandit

Staff member
I still say it would be a valid alternative to use the number of times someone's profile has been viewed. I know the board keeps track of that.

Shannow

Staff member
The only real bitching here, is all the people who seem to have a problem with the mosaic being made.

Also, the poll results are pretty obvious.[/QUOTE]

I am more of a meh, on it. But that is just my opinion. Did not think it was really bitching, as such. I say its time has past, and to really let it die.

Agreed.

It also guarantees that it wont be just the same few faces there, as people´s participation does change from time to time (heck, I doubt my post count is even 1% of my astronomical numbers before), so there is nothing wrong with a "top participators Rogue gallery"[/QUOTE]

The same members would be in the Gallery with that rule.

As I have been reading through this thread for the first time now, I would like to point out that I was the one to introduce the "Better Nate than Lever" joke to the forum. I've not checked the wiki, so don't know if I even have a page, much less been properly credited.

I know we are a bit past that now, but I figured it was better late than never. :D

Status
Not open for further replies.