Former President Trump Thread

figmentPez

Staff member

"No other attorneys have announced they are working on Trump's impeachment defense."

It's pretty clear that no lawyer who is qualified to work this trial wants to follow Trump's insanity this far. I'm sure they'll be able to find someone unqualified, but maybe Trump will just represent himself! :awesome:

Watch Trumpkins spin this to "Trump got rid of the lawyers because they're part of the deep state conspiracy" or "They were scared off by liberal threats. See how dangerous the enemy we're fighting is?"

figmentPez

Staff member
Does it even matter when they don't have enough republicans willing to cross the aisle to convict?
If Democrats and other rational people treat this as a chance to present evidence to the public, maybe? Trump supporters may never change their minds, but they are a minority. If leaders can show enough evidence to the public that terrible things went on, then maybe there will continue to be more people showing up to vote out Republicans.

If Democrats and other rational people treat this as a chance to present evidence to the public, maybe? Trump supporters may never change their minds, but they are a minority. If leaders can show enough evidence to the public that terrible things went on, then maybe there will continue to be more people showing up to vote out Republicans.
In two years' time? I doubt it.

I don’t think it matters how much evidence they have. Republicans have made it clear they don’t think it’s constitutional to convict a president after they leave office. So they already have an out their supporters will accept.

I don’t think it matters how much evidence they have. Republicans have made it clear they don’t think it’s constitutional to convict a president after they leave office. So they already have an out their supporters will accept.
That's what the attorneys were going to argue. The orange stain insisted they cry "fraud!" and "stolen!" instead. So they quit.

That's what the attorneys were going to argue. The orange stain insisted they cry "fraud!" and "stolen!" instead. So they quit.
He doesn’t even need to mount a defense though. Republicans have already decided that it doesn’t matter how guilty he is, they won’t vote to convict.

He doesn’t even need to mount a defense though. Republicans have already decided that it doesn’t matter how guilty he is, they won’t vote to convict.
My ideal situation is he goes on to defend himself, Republicans see him ramble incoherently, and finally realize "Holy shit, he really IS a complete idiot. We need to convict him."

That won't happen, of course. If they're still supporting him now, after everything, nothing will change that.

It never mattered to them who he was or what he did, to what degree of coherence, once he got the nomination.
Bingo. Once they realized he took over a huge chunk of their voter base, even those that secretly hate him, feel they need to stay on his side. I mean look what is happening to Liz Cheney. You go against the party you become a pariah, even when you a key leader.

I wouldn't put it past some of them to think this is actually the more moral option, not because they agree with Trump or think he should continue leading the party, but because they believe should they get primaried from an impeachment vote, they would be replaced with another MTG.

"We're going to explain about how you can't swear in on the Quran," Ms Greene says in the footage. "We're going to have the Bible and ask them if they would swear in on the Bible … I think that's important."

Someone off-camera then told Ms Greene that she was "infringing" on the two representatives' religion by asking them to take their oaths of office with the Bible instead of the Quran.

"It wasn't a law yet … at the time they swore in. I think at the time they swore in it wasn't passed, because it wouldn't pass in a Republican-controlled … " Ms Greene said. "So they're not really official, I don't think."
NO. Stop it.

--Patrick

Lindsey Graham thinks "if you call witnesses, we're calling the FBI" is a threat. Good. Call them. Please. See how many of your colleagues (yourself included) wind up in handcuffs as a result.

It'll be a lot easier to convict if a third of your number get hauled off.

Last edited:
Lindsey Graham things "if you call witnesses, we're calling the FBI" is a threat. Good. Call them. Please. See how many of your colleagues (yourself included) wind up in handcuffs as a result.

It'll be a lot easier to convict if a third of your number get hauled off.
Especially considering the FBI was never fans of Trump to begin with.

Boy I can't wait for the impeachment trial to start, so Republicans can stick their fingers in their ears and cry about Trump getting railroaded regardless of the evidence.

Boy I can't wait for the impeachment trial to start, so Republicans can stick their fingers in their ears and cry about Trump getting railroaded regardless of the evidence.
On the plus side, we're more likely to see things like "evidence" and "witnesses" in this trial, as opposed to the last one and anything else Trump has tried to litigate in the last few months.

No matter what, Republicans are going to have to put their name on something this time, after evidence is presented to the public. They know the base will always vote for them as long at they hold the Trumpist narrative, but they still don't want to lose any independent voters that might swing towards them, which is why they rarely bring any bills up for a vote, because a Republican voting "No" on things like stimulus checks and such is worst optics compared to the majority leader just never bringing the bill to the floor and letting it die in administrative oblivion.

When it comes to this trial, the majority of American's want some sort of justice to be delivered. Once all the evidence is brought forward and now gets to swirl around in the public, depending on how damning it really is, will mean Republicans are going to have to choose either to lurch harder into the base, or lose a lot of middle road voters. It seems assured that they will likely go with the former, as it's the safer option, but either way having to do a vote at all is going to hurt them somewhere.

Our job is just to make sure no one forgets it in 2 years.

It's like a preview of the shit-show to come.
Well, if it's a shit show, "Dear Banana Republicans, here is all the shit you flung at Obama and Hillary. You see, you flung it like monkies, we've gathered it, organized it, weaponized it and are sending it back."
One can hope.

I meant more the stupid crap they are going to try to pull and how stupid things will get. Republicans are already trying to re-write what happened.

Trump lost.

Clinton lost. Romney lost. McCain lost. Kerry lost. Gore lost – "chad"ly. Dole lost. Bush lost. So did Perot. Dukakis lost. Mondale lost. Carter lost. Ford lost. McGovern lost. Humphrey lost. So did Wallace – big time. Goldwater? He lost too. Nixon lost (before he won – then lost.) Stevenson lost – twice. Dewey lost - twice. Strom lost only that once, though. Willkie lost. Landon lost. Hoover lost. Al Smith lost. Davis lost. So did Bob La Follette. Cox lost. Hughes lost. Taft lost. So did Teddy Roosevelt. Bryan lost. Three times, twice in a row. Parker lost. Harrison lost to Cleveland. Cleveland lost to Harrison. Blaine lost. Hancock lost.

Tilden… okay, we'll give you that one (but keep in mind he was a Democrat).

Greely lost. Seymour lost. Jefferson Davis lost. BIG TIME.

The one thing that these forty people all have in common is what happens a lot in life: you lose. For the most part, they all admitted at some point that they lost – though Davis did so, admittedly, at the end of a shotgun. These people all moved on with their lives; a few of them did run for president again, yes. But they all admitted they lost. Maybe not fairly, maybe under questionable circumstances, but they all knew they lost.

Well, except for one.