Fun Fact Thread!

Status
Not open for further replies.
D

Dusty668

Tug of War was an Olympic event until 1924.
The Adventures of Tom Sawyer was the first novel to be written on a typewriter.
The blesbok, a South African antelope, is the world's only naturally purple mammal.

You can make a tripple stacked cheeseburger with bacon & all condiments for $2.

Go-->Wendys-->Order double stack + jr bacon cheeseburger

Combine and enjoy the savings
I...I never considered that. I wonder what else you can combine like that.

I

Iaculus

I...I never considered that. I wonder what else you can combine like that.[/QUOTE]

Be wary - you play with great and terrible forces here.

I...I never considered that. I wonder what else you can combine like that.[/quote]

Be wary - you play with great and terrible forces here.[/quote]

Pfffft, what's the worst that can happen?

edit:

AAAAAAAAAH! OH MY GOD

I love etymologies.

'Ambulance' used to refer to field hospitals. It came from the French '(hôpital) ambulant' for 'walking hospital.' During the Crimean War, 'Ambulance' began to refer to the wagons that moved the wounded off the field of battle. That is where we get our modern definition.

S

SeraRelm

And so fitting with your avatar!

Males cats usually become aroused when their bellies are rubbed.

Speaking of sweat; here's a little known fact: Women have fewer sweat glands than men, but they're larger and more active...
...consequently they sweat more.

(I miss Cliff)

I read somewhere that a hyena's clitoris becomes so engorged that it could crush its offspring during birth.

The first trombone was known as the sacbutt.

The first trombone was known as the sacbutt.
I wouldn't know where to confirm this, but here's another Trombone fact a music student once informed me of:

The Germans loved the Trombone so much, that in the original translation of the bible into German, what was translated to 'Trumpet' in English was rendered 'Trombone' in German.

On the topic of biblical translation, if you went to Galilee at the beginning of the first millennium, asking about Jesus, people would be confused. We get the name 'Jesus' as a result of it's translation from Hebrew into Greek, Greek to Latin, and Latin into English. A direct translation from Hebrew to English would be 'Joshua.'

This is not unique. Another example would be Confucius, which is also a latinization. If you were to ask for Confucius by name, you would look for Kongzi.

And finally, another bible name. I am unable to confirm this, but I have been told that the name 'James' in the New Testament is a result of politics. The name should have been rendered 'Jacob,' but they fudged it in order to appease the king (essentially writing him into the bible). I really hope this one is true, because that would mean 'Jesus' should have been 'Joshua' (my name), and his brother 'James' should have been 'Jacob' (which is my brother's).

I read somewhere that a hyena's clitoris becomes so engorged that it could crush its offspring during birth.
Heh, I actually heard this once before and looked it up. Totally true.

http://news.softpedia.com/news/Hyen...s-and-800-Kg-of-Pressure-on-Teeth-76961.shtml
The spotted hyena has a very big clitoris, named pseudopenis. It is by far the largest clitoris in the animal kingdom. In these hyenas, the vulva is fused, and the clitoris is used for urination, mating (it contracts for mating and the opening widens to allow the penetration by the male's penis) and giving birth. To complicate it all, the females also possess a fake scrotum made by the enlarged joined vulva and pseudo-testes filled with fatty tissue.

R

rabbitgod

I've some of these hyena fact before. They are some weird ass animals. They're natures mixing bowl. I'm almost positive they can breed with the platypus and once they do they'll enslave the human race.

figmentPez

Staff member
A direct translation from Hebrew to English would be 'Joshua.'
Sorry, no "J" in Hebrew. Yeshua would be a closer transliteration.

And finally, another bible name. I am unable to confirm this, but I have been told that the name 'James' in the New Testament is a result of politics. The name should have been rendered 'Jacob,' but they fudged it in order to appease the king (essentially writing him into the bible). I really hope this one is true, because that would mean 'Jesus' should have been 'Joshua' (my name), and his brother 'James' should have been 'Jacob' (which is my brother's).
Hmm, I'll have to look further into this. What I can figure out is that when referring to Jacob from the Old Testament it's Iakob, and when referring to various James in the NT, it's Iakobos. So it's not the same name, though how it got transferred from ee-ak'-o-bos to James, I don't know.

Sorry, no "J" in Hebrew. Yeshua would be a closer transliteration.[/quote]

Yes, right. Sorry. Perhaps I should have said 'anglicization'?

Hmm, I'll have to look further into this. What I can figure out is that when referring to Jacob from the Old Testament it's Iakob, and when referring to various James in the NT, it's Iakobos. So it's not the same name, though how it got transferred from ee-ak'-o-bos to James, I don't know.[/QUOTE]

Please do. I'm very curious.

Sorry, no "J" in Hebrew. Yeshua would be a closer transliteration.[/quote]

Yes, right. Sorry. Perhaps I should have said 'anglicization'?

Hmm, I'll have to look further into this. What I can figure out is that when referring to Jacob from the Old Testament it's Iakob, and when referring to various James in the NT, it's Iakobos. So it's not the same name, though how it got transferred from ee-ak'-o-bos to James, I don't know.[/QUOTE]

Please do. I'm very curious.[/QUOTE]

Really? Here, in spain, all Jaime (James), Santiago, Jacobo (Iacob) and Diego celebrate their... what's the word, onomastica? The same day, because it's considered to be the same name...

Status
Not open for further replies.